LTU Airlines

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTU Airlines

Does anyone have any experience with the German airline LTU??? Reliability? Comfort? My parents prefer a direct flight over frills but I've heard the cabin is too cramped for long flights.Please help!

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Im changing airlines to LTU. I like the idea of non-stop to Germany from my local airport. It will be my first flight with them so I also look for reviews. I've heard some say it's tight and others say no worse than any other economy seating. Planes are new and very nice, always clean and good service. Hope we get lots of replies to this. I also hope I don't have to switch back to connecting flights.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
hsv

FWIW: LTU changed hands today. It used to be owned by a German public Savings and Loan Bank (WestLB) before it was acquired by German textile millionnaire Woehrl (who sold his stake in German airline dba to Air Berlin before already) about 1.5 years ago.
Today he sold out to Air Berlin again. Air Berlin is the second largest German carrier with a focus on a mix of charter and low-fare traffic on an intra-European basis. Through LTU they gain access to long-haul routes.

While I cannot speak from personal experience, LTU has a pretty good reputation for a (pre-dominant) charter airline.
Air Berlin also enjoys a fair reputation, so my guess is that the parents would be fine.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM

LTU is a very reliable airline. Baggage rules may be different (weight instead of pieces). Comfort in Economy Class is the same as Lufthansa. Comfort Class is very nice and comparable with the new Business Class.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM

hsv - thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of the sale. I thought there was something in the works with condor, but I'd rather see Air Berlin in the mix. I fly AB a lot and really like it.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info! Talk about up to date!! I think we're going to go with LTU.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM

We were going to fly LTU as they have great rates and fly into Düsseldorf, which was better for us.

Unfortunately they have very odd rules for what brands/models of car seats you can bring for a toddler, even when you purchase a seat. My wife refuses to fly without a car seat for safety and therefore we did not book. I am now paying more than twice what LTU would have charged to fly on BA, but my wife is happy, and my daughter will be safe.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM
ltr

I flew LTU into Dusseldorf. I didn't have any complaints. They did not have individual screens when I went, but that may have changed in the last year. The cabin was a little cramped, but no more than any other airlines. The price from LAX was about $150 less than any other flight at the time. I would definitely fly them again.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM

As I posted before, we are changing airlines to LTU. I have heard it's a bit cramped. I also heard that comfort class is not that much better for the price. You have to e-mail them for seat assignments and, according to a friend who uses them, you have to call Germany to reserve exit seats. We called to reserve exit seats and they are 60E extra. I'm told it's VERY worth the 60E.