lst time to Ireland

Nov 10th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Susan Parker

lst time to Ireland

7 day driving tour,not interested in Dublin, any suggestions for a driving route, i.e.north? south? any b&B??????/

Nov 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
brian s

I don't claim to be an expert, but I found the west superior to both the east and the south. Make Galway your base, and don't miss the Burren. Cong, County Mayo is nearby, if you are a "Quiet Man" fan. Connemara, too. Ruins, round towers and lots of live music in the west. Roads are narrow, of course, and in the far west, traffic signs are in gaelic. My only B&b was near Dublin, but it was a delightful experience, with the famous full Irish breakfast each day, included for $32 for two.

Nov 10th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Greg

I did an Ireland driving tour last march. here are som impressions.
* Stayed 2 day in Dublin - it was OK, but you are doing the right thing by skipping Dublin.
* Visit the Rock of Cashel in Cashel Co. Tipperrary. It is a ruin of an old convent/abbey built on an exposed limestone rock. St Patrick was said to baptised a king of Ireland their.
* Dingle in Co. Kerry is a must. It is on the ocean and a center for traditional Irish music.
* Cliffs of Mohr & the Burren in Co. Claire are must also.

Greg

Nov 10th, 2002, 03:46 PM
frances

How about flying into Shannon, driving an hour down into County Tipperary, basing at Cahir for a couple of days. From here it's easy daytripping to Kilkenny, Cashel, Clonmel and Carrick.

Then, over to Dingle for two nights, up to Lisdoonvarna for one night and Galway for itself and bus or driving up through Connemara. You are only one hour back to Shannon for your flight out.

Nov 12th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Krista

Just got back from a 7 day self-driving tour. We flew into Shannon, went to Bunratty right off the plane, stayed in Limerick. Then went to Blarney the next day, stayed there. Then to Middleton (the Jameson Distillery), Waterford one day (stayed in Kilkenny), then Kilkenny and Rock of Cashel (stayed at the Cashel Palace Hotel!!!!! Wow! Our room had a few of the Rock of Cashel which is amazing at night all lit up.) Then went to the Cliffs of Moer and to the Burren. Then spent a day at Dromoland Castle. The drives were easy and we got to see a lot that way.

Search this Thread