Reload this Page >

Low cost flights: France to Italy on www.airlibexpress.com

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Rex

Maybe this is not news to others, but I have not seen anything about this. not sure when it started, but AirLibExpress now is featuring service between Paris (Orly) and four airports in Italy (Rome, Venice, Milan and Pisa) with fares as low as 28 euro (taxes included!)<BR><BR>I have often written about the lack of a good low cost option between france and Italy - - generally recommending the &quot;Brussels connection&quot; using virgin-express.com<BR><BR>This will revolutionize itinerary planning for a lot of Europe travelers.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Rex

Topping. I have to believe that this is news that others can use.<BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 02:51 PM
ellen

Rex, thank you so much for the tip. I've already bookmarked the site for future planning. These are the things that make this board so great. Thanks again!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 03:10 PM
X

It is very good news.Every little bit help$ !

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Rex

You're very welcome.<BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 05:25 AM
toppers

to the top<BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:27 AM
oldorch

hmm i didn't book 2 weeks ago on this airline(was looking for a flight from venice to paris) because i couldn't find out any info. expedia couldn't contact them because they were closed for the weekend. i asked a question about them on the airlines board and didn't get any info there either. anyone with experience flying on this airline your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 01:41 PM
beth

Break my heart. I wont tell you how much I paid on Air France to get from Paris to Rome. Of course, I'm leaving tomarrow. Yippee!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:35 PM
from

Another tip - in the same context - is Basiq Air, from Amsterdam to Bordeaux, Marseille, Nice, Barcelona, Madrid and Malaga, starting at 29 Euro.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Marj

Rex<BR>Thank you. This is good and important information. Was looking at $600+ on Air France Paris to Rome, or a 15 hour train ride. This is a better option for sure. Will investigate further and see how it is.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:46 AM
toulafan

This is also really great news from Basiq air. Thank you!<BR><BR>I found this website in case others want to see it.<BR><BR>www.basiqair.com/wwwen/baswbwre.nsf<BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Leslie

Would love to see a report on this airline from anyone that has used them. Are they reliable, safe, OK? Tell us please as it is always good to have move low fare options available.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Andre

While Air Lib and its predecessors Air Libert&eacute; and AOM have excellent safety records, the airline is extremely strapped for cash and could go bankrupt in the very near future. <BR><BR>As French bankruptcy law doesn't offer a &quot;chapter 11 style&quot; creditor protection scheme as favourable as the one in the US, it is quite likely that they would stop flying from one day to the next.<BR><BR>They are currently negotiating with the goverment for some kind of subsidy or whatever, but until they have some new financing lined up I wouldn't book them.<BR><BR>In one word:<BR>BEWARE!<BR><BR>Andre

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:17 AM
oldorch

andre,<BR>thanks for that post. . .i hope they are a viable airline...but i don't trust them yet.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Andre

For French speakers, here's an update on the situation at Air Lib - doesn't look good...<BR><BR>http://www.lesechos.fr/ch/trans/jour/200012638.htm<BR><BR>Andre

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Pascal

I would not say that this is a cause for excess alarmism. They plan to cut back on their service to the Antilles (Guadeloupe and Marinique). Why? not enough customers. Hardly alarming. And delay expanding services into parts of French Africa like Algeria. They didn't mention Ivory Coast, but maybe that was in the plans also. Who would want to expand any business into the Ivory Cost nowadays?<BR><BR>I don't see why they won't do great on their new routes to Italy. A low-cost carrier for Paris-to-Italy has immediately a full list of potential customers, don't you think?<BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:52 AM
oldorch

pascal<BR>i think everyone would love it if they were viable. it does seem as though there is a need for them. lets just hope it works for them.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:06 AM
Andre

Pascal, I think you're WAY too optimistic!<BR><BR>An excerpt from the article I pasted a link to:<BR><BR>&quot;...on peut imaginer que les &eacute;v&eacute;nements s'encha&icirc;nent tr&egrave;s vite pour Air Lib et que le Conseil Sup&eacute;rieur de l'Aviation Marchande consid&egrave;re, lors de sa r&eacute;union du 8 novembre, qu'elle ne r&eacute;pond plus aux crit&egrave;res &eacute;conomiques n&eacute;cessaires pour le maintien de sa licence de transporteur a&eacute;rien. Licence qui expire le 31 octobre mais devrait &ecirc;tre prorog&eacute;e jusqu'au 8 novembre.&quot;<BR><BR>In a nutshell: if Air Lib doesn't provide a credible business plan by November 8, it could have its license revoked immediately by the French equivalent of the FAA and thus have to cease operations immediately.<BR><BR>I really wish Air Lib and its employees all the best, but can't recommend booking them at this time.<BR><BR>Andre

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:14 AM
Donald

Is this being covered in any other Europe-oriented business publication? in English?<BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:57 AM
Andre

Donald,<BR><BR>Best I could find was:<BR>http://www.atwonline.com/indexfull.cfm?newsid=2441<BR><BR>Andre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -