Love Those Medicis!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Nan

Love Those Medicis!

Ever since I went to Firenze last year, I have a mini-obsession with the Medici Family.
Their story has all the ingredients: love, hate, revenge, murder, conspiracy, arranged marriages to mention a few.
Do any of you Fodorites share my feelings? I would love to know if you can visit their villas, etc. in the countryside and in towns. Also the sites in Firenze itself.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Susan

Didn't they own the Ricardo in Florence? ?And the Uffizi?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Grasshopper

Nan, Read the Agony and the Ecstasy.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:12 PM
JOdy

Take a cooking class with Lorenza de Medici..get up close and personal with a descendant!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Wendy

Nan I absolutely second grasshoppers advice. The Agony and the Ecstasy is a great story of Michaelangelo and his relationship with the Medicis!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Amy

Nan, my kids have had the same fascination ever since Firenze, too. They loved it when we did the Loire Valley the summer after a spring in Florence that Catherine and Marie were popping up everywhere.

We pay homage to them at the Rubens room at the Louvre, too. The girls always head straight for the "Fat Lady" hall.

Amazing legacy for a very avaricious group, n'est-ce pas?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Nan

Yes, I agree they have an amazing legacy, more than we casually realize.
How is Lorenza related, I thought their line had died out?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Capo

I've seen a few episodes of that TV show, starring Jane Seymour, Dr. Quinn, Medici Woman :~)

But seriously...one of my favorite places in Paris is the romantic Medici Fountain, in the Luxembourg Gardens, built for Marie de Medici, Catherine de Medici's cousin.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Christina

Just goes to show how far you can go running a bureau de change, wasn't that the source of their fortune? I don't think those Medicis were always very nice from what I remember.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Phoebe

No, they started out in banking, and went on to create a dynasty. I have a book on them but I forgot the name of it. Cosimo was the pere and Lorenzo was the Magnificient.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Morning Giggle

LOL, Capo! I read the Medici Woman thread and said, "I'll bet Capo wrote that." Scrolled up, and I was right!

LOL

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:04 PM
mimi taylor

Yes, my sister insect has a handle on it

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Jody

Lorenza can trace her ancestry back to Lorenzo and beyond.. and she has children so the line has not died out..only now they are Stucchi's unless she has a brother , which I don't know!

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 06:13 PM
hb9542

I got hooked on the Medici's after reading "The Agony and the Ecstacy" and set the hook visiting the Capella Medici in Florence. If you're interested, there's a great book on the subject - "The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall" by Christopher Hibbert- that you might enjoy.

Betsy