Love the place you live

Search

Love the place you live

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2020, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the place you live

“It was the best of times it was the worst of times”. Imprisoned by the pandemic in Spain when it all first started, it turned out one of the best travel experiences. A rage of complex emotion moving through the stages of denial, protest, rage and acceptance.

Dark days (not nearly as dark as those affecting those less lucky) that saw me eventually finding self compassion (never easy) which lessened the guilt I was experiencing on insisting we travel regardless of doubts. It was an experience that I will never erase, or swap, even if I had a choice.

The pandemic has thrown up opportunities that many have grasped and this has included looking locally for travel experiences. I have shared in the joy of strangers who echoed my own thoughts “I never knew this place existed” “I didn’t realise this beautiful spot was on my doorstep”.

As never before, local footpaths have been explored and none have failed to deliver a thrill or surprise. And so armed with the like-named book I have rambled over Rossendale, for example ascending bonfire hill to admire first hand the illustrations contained in my book. Finding delightful paths that reveal ancient farms, non conformist churches, and many magical buildings.

Canal walks have delivered the most joy. There are many in my neighbourhood and by there very nature easy to walk being flat and near to towns. The Bury canal is lovely and from the small town of Radcliffe you can either walk into Bury or go the other way towards the country of park of Moses Gate.

The Manchester canal is not as pretty but it does take you from Manchester to Old Trafford Football Ground and the reward of refreshments at Salford Quays where the BBC now resides.

But the very best is the Rochdale Canal especially the bit between Todmorden and Hebden Bridge. This beautiful canal delivers lots of “oohs” and “ahs”. Todmorden is often overlooked as a town in comparison to its “posh” neighbour Hebden Bridge, but a look round the town is rewarded by some incredible industrial architecture. Its also got its fair share of fabulous inns.

The canal reveals beautiful buildings one after the other. It is a looked after canal and people have planted wild flowers along its toll path. Old barges sail the canal still and rarely disturb the plentiful wild life.

Along the way you can purchase home made ice cream made on farm premises aligning the canal and a little further you can buy homemade jams and honey.

Nearing Hedben Bridge you can drop off at the Stubbing Wharf Pub on the canal for a pint of beer or similar and they have a lovely menu. If you can’t get a seat on the canal side of the pub, explore further as they have seating in front (and at other levels) of the pub.

If you prefer, you can take a detour to the wonderful Fox and Goose pub on Heptonstall Road. After a sumptuous meal, you can walk it off with a trip up to the magical village of Heptonstall where Ted Hughes, the poet, and his wife Sylvia Plath lived (Sylvia is buried at Heptonstall). Be warned, it is a steep walk.

Carrying on to Hebden Bridge via the canal you are rewarded by the town which is a very popular place for families and has quite an international choice of restaurants as well as local cafes.

I am including some photos for you to enjoy and do hope you can access them:

Amazon Amazon
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 05:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice, Great pictures. I think once the temp goes down here in Fl I will be opened to more outdoor things. We have rails to trail right behind me but just so hot hardly any bikers on it. You can go from my county to another county on the trail. You have to dodge the occasional gator. We did rent a cottage two hours north for October on the ocean that allows dogs. That will be sweet.
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 06:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe you can post a few for we who are unable to access them.
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Love the place you live

Making my photos easier to see.

Ready, steady, go ...
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve, DD lives in Todmorden and we know the canal from there to HB. Lovely walk and great scenery and can recommend Stubbings Wharf for food and a leisurely beverage. If you go the other way towards Rochdale up to Summit, it's an equally picturesque route. A little uphill, but worth it.

We've done the Manchester to Old Trafford walk a number of times, especially on match days in good weather, no fun in sitting watching the match in wet underwear! I'd also recommend the Leeds Liverpool stretch from Barrowford Locks towards Skipton, passing the Foulridge Tunnel and on to Barnoldswick. Try the Anchor pub on the way for food and drink.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rubicund, we are looking to do the stretch between Smithy Bridge and Todmorden (not sure if Summit comes before or during that stretch). There are quite a number of eating pubs in Todmorden which we will try. A neighbour has done the route between Rochdale and Manchester and wasn't too impressed and didn't feel particularly safe at some points.

I know the Liverpool - Leeds canal quite well and agree it is beautiful in many parts. The Anchor was a favourite of past neighbours when I lived in the Burnley area, but I haven't been but will look up its location.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steve, hi from Otley. Hebden Bridge canal is a wonderful walk, we do it every time we come close to the border. The walks around Otley have been my life line for one of the best Springs in living memory. I now know the paths of our massive park, The Chevin, a north facing hillside covered in Beech trees, pretty well. The views from the top of the Wharfe are to die for and now the pubs are opening (pre-booking required) we can wander through the fields in the evening for a beer. I'm just going to hold out a few more weeks before I venture back into the Gym.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 12:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve, coming from Smithy Bridge, which is much closer to Hollingworth Lake, you pass Summit which is much nearer to Tod. I do agree that the canal stretch to Manchester isn't great and would avoid it as it gets dark. The Anchor pub is at Salterforth, between Foulridge and Barnoldswick (known locally as Barlick).
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bilbo and Rubicund
I know Otley quite well, many years ago I used to call into Scalebor Park - a delightful area and the walks around there are stunning. The River Wharfe recently won a thumbs up on being the best river to walk in England (maybe UK, cant remember). I received a book yesterday called Collins Waterways Guide 5: North West and the Pennines. Its got some great canal walks in it and recommends local pubs close to the canal - Anchor is mentioned … in fact two Anchor Inns are mentioned not that far from each other (one at Barlick … where they all live over't brush … and the other one is at Gargrave).