Search

Lovaine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Lucia

Lovaine

I am planning a trip to Beligium and I would like information about one of its cities, Lovaine. <BR>Thanks a lot.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Lucia

I am sorry I spelled Belgium wrong.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:52 AM
Florence

Wouldn't that rather be Louvain ? <BR> <BR>I couldn't find a city called Lovaine, but there is a Louvain-la-Neuve (Leuven in Flemish), not far from Brussels and famous for its university.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Rex

Could it be that you are asking about Louvain (the French spelling for Leuven)? It's a nice enough little town, a university town, with a considerable medical school/center. Unlike American medical centers, high technology is still encased in centuries old architecture, not gleaming new steel/glass/concrete buildings. <BR> <BR>This is right on the "battle line between French speaking Belgium and Flemish (although essentially 100% amicable today as far as I know). It is very close to Brussels (Bruxelles), but the academic "rivalry" illustrates the point (over history, even if not today). There is both the Catholic University of Louvain, and KU Leuven (which has the medical school). KU Leuven is celebrating its 575th jubielum this year. Can your alma mater claim that? (the answer is no; this is the oldest Catholic university in the world). <BR> <BR>More - - from www.britannica.com - - on the schism between the two schools in a post right after this one. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Rex

Part Two: <BR> <BR>Louvain, Catholic University of <BR> <BR>either of two Belgian universities established in 1970 but both descended from a renowned institution of higher learning founded in 1425 in Louvain. In the one university (Katholieke Universiteit te Leuven) the language of instruction is Netherlandic (Flemish), and its site remains in Louvain. In the other university (Université Catholique de Louvain) the language of instruction is French, and the site is a newly created town, Louvain-la-Neuve ("New Louvain"), about 15 miles (24 km) south-southwest of old Louvain. <BR> <BR>The original university was founded by Pope Martin V at the behest of Duke John <BR>(Jean) IV of Brabant, who modeled its constitution after the University of Paris. In 1517 the Dutch scholar Desiderius Erasmus became involved with the founding of Louvain's Trilingual College, "the school of the new learning in Europe," for the study of Greek, Latin, and Hebrew. During the 16th century Justus Lipsius and Gerard Mercator were also on the faculty. At that time Louvain was the chief centre of anti-Reformation thought. The forces of the French Revolution suppressed the university in 1797, but in 1834 the Belgian episcopate reestablished it as a French-language, Roman Catholic university. <BR> <BR>The university's famous library was burned during the German invasion in 1914, and a new library was built (1921-28) with American funds and books donated by many nations. The library was again destroyed by fire during the German invasion in 1940 but was subsequently restored. <BR> <BR>In the 1930s Louvain began to teach some courses in Flemish. Although the Belgian <BR> government had previously forbidden the use of Flemish in universities, it changed its policy in 1932 in response to growing pressure from Belgium's sizable Flemish-speaking population. In 1969, after student riots, ethnic protests, and government upheavals, the Catholic University of Louvain was reorganized into separate Flemish- and French-language divisions. Each of the two divisions was given separate legal status in 1970, and the first faculties were installed in Louvain-la-Neuve <BR>in 1972. <BR> <BR>=================== <BR> <BR>Postscript: (my own addition), the Catholic University of Louvain is also the home of the American College of Louvain - - www.acl.be - - which was founded in 1857. For information on the 575th Jubileum see www.kuleuven.ac.be/575 for additional details (in Flemish only). <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:53 PM

to the top... for Kelly...

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 10:07 AM
helene

Leuven (Louvain in french) is a small university town with lots of students (less in the weekend), great bars & restaurants, interesting history, nice atmosphere (especially in summer when everyone is eating & drinking outdoors). <BR>helene - Leuven