Louvre Atlanta? It seems that way!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Louvre Museum- Paris and the Museum of Art in Atlanta have engaged in an arrangement where priceless works of art currently at the Louvre will be exhibited in Atlanta on a three-year schedule.

The exhibit will open with pieces from the collections of three kings -- Louis XIV, Louis XV and Louis XVI, including
Velasquez's "The Infanta Margarita"; Raphael's "Portrait of Baldassare Castiglione", Rembrandt's "Saint Matthew and the Angel", and Simon Vouet's "Study for the Allegory of Intellect".

The Louvre-Paris is getting $6M (donated by Coca-Cola, etc...) to enhance their facilities and to continue the design and construction of their new museum in Lens (Northern France) to open in Sept 2008.

Other cities are doing similar arrangements; the Denver Art Museum has arranged for a version of the Louvre program to be exhibited there from October 2007 to January 2008: "Artisans & Kings: Selected Treasures from the Louvre."

Now, if we can get our young people to learn to appreciate TRUE ART
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Ummmm. I am really glad that the Louvre is doing this collaboration with American museums. It is important to share.
American museums have plenty of "real" art also.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM

All the major museums have tons of artifacts and art that are never on permanent exhibit, but have to be housed and maintained in storage. Lending out collections is one way they can make room in their own museum to exhibit pieces that are little-known or rarely seen except by scholars.

We're so excited to have even a tiny part of the Louvre in Atlanta! Look for the influence of this exhibit to show up for the next five years in local home decorating trends, restaurant menus, etc.! Vive la France!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

\/ (
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 03:07 AM

There's only one (small) "problem" with these lends/exchanges: two weeks ago while in London I went to the National Gallery. One of the works I wanted to see was the "Hay Wain" which was not on view.

When i asked about it I was told it is on loan to the National Gallery in Washington, DC..wish I had known since I could have easily seen it there.