Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

louis vins in paris-has anyone eaten here?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am still searching for places open on 5/1-i have dinner reservations at allard and carte blanche. was wondering if anyone has actually eaten at louis vins and if they liked it. would love to hear details. thanks
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Yes, book it!! We ate at Louis Vin this past Sunday night. They are just excellent, open Sunday nights also which is rare. They don't take credit cards. The menu is on a chalk board in French, but we did fine with it. They can help you with it if need be. Everyone around us was also thrilled with their meals. 3 courses are only 26€ and we ordered an excellent wine from Cahors. My husband ordered the sholder of pork, which was quite large and tasted like ham. I ordered the duck, but a woman at our neighboring table ordered the scallops, which looked like the best choice. They were done very different than we'd ever seen. It's also very attractive inside.

We also had dinner at Carte Blanche. It was excellent. We're still talking about it!

Our other meals were at Gaya, Le P'tit Troquet, both very good, and our disappointment, Aux Lyonnais. I know that will surprise some, but I suppose we just don't care for food from Lyon?? The restaurant itself was beautiful, but besides not caring for the food, the service was very rushed. Even Parisians near us were quite unhappy with the service.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

images2-thanks-i was hoping you'd answer. tell me about carte blanche and the meal you had there-they liken it to z kitchen galerie-very inventive food, which is up my alley. thanks. we leave in 2 weeks and 1 day (but who is counting!!)
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

also, what were the other 2 courses like at louis vins? is the cooking basic or imaginative?
i have been corresponding w/ a food critic and he agrees w/ you assessement of aux lyonnais. it was not on my list. am not a fan of petit troquet.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM

The entres were excellent, the desserts simple. I had excellent tuna over a salad, yummy dressing, and my husband had white and green asperagus. We had fruit based desserts, grapefruit for one, strawberry the other. I do have pictures of the chalkboard menu and of the food. I'll see if we can supply a link to them tonight. I also have pictures of Carte Blanche, although the menu turned out fuzzy. We'll include those. Check back!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Ok, here are the links to pictures at Carte Blanche and Louis Vins. Hope they are of help to you. Unfortunately the pictures don't reveal the wonderful flavors!

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbtG7Jk2bNGP8

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbtG7Jk2bNGQE
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Neopolitan

OK, spill the beans. Where's this Louis Vin place? Love the menu I could make out from the blackboard photo.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Louis Vins
9, rue Montagne Ste Genevieve
Paris 75005
Tele : 01 43 29 12 12
open every day, even Sundays
They don’t take Credit Cards
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Neopolitan

Ah, right near our apartment. Thanks. This is a definite. Reservations necessary?

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

images2-i can't open the photos (my place of employment won't allow!) but i have decided to cancel allard and eat there. as i said earlier, they are open 5/1, when most are closed. thanks again. i love to find new places that haven't been discovered yet. we leave in 2 weeks-i will be sure to post my dining report.
can you tell me about what you ate at carte blanche? i may have to squeeze that one in too!! any idea if they are open for lunch and the prices? thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Carte Blanche is a must. We had dinner there, they probably are open for lunch also though. I have pictures of the chalk board menu for Carte Blanche also, although fuzzy. See if you can open the photos on another computer! My husband had the lobster and blood sausge dish (boudin noir). It was excellent. I tasted the blood sausage, thinking it'd be awful, but it was great! I thought it was a very imaginative pairing. I had the BBQ, which was lamb and something else, can't remember on a small grill. The entres are excellent. I had gambas mixed with delicious ??? Can't remember, husband had crab and beets mixed with other things. It's hard to describe, because everything is very imaginative, and even pictures don't do it justice. The warm madaline dessert came with a jar of something yummy.

It was probably the best of our meals, although Louis Vins was a close second. Try and go to both!

Louis Vins 26€ for 3 courses
Carte Blanche 35€ for 3 courses or 28€ for 2, although dessert was excellent.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

images2-i have been planning my meals for about 3 months and thought i had a final list-now i feel the need to squeeze carte blanch in!! thanks. i called them but they are closed 5/1-what days is carte blanche closed?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Neopolitan

I love these threads about places to get great meals in Paris that aren't 300 to 500 euro for two! These are my kinds of places! Thanks for the tips.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Neopolitan, happy to accomodate. I will attach some recent reviews that list the best under 30 euros. there is also a short article on bonjour paris (it is a free article) that mentions carte blanche.
here are my dinner places (none are expensive-you may want to try them since i cant do them all and report back too)
l'troquet
l'os a moelle
le beurre noisette
chez michel
le comptoir (will call each day at 3pm to see if i can eat there that night)
le pamphlet
au camelot
chez eux
la ardoise
l ami jean
carte blanche
le bistral
le villaret
les papilles
louis vins

lunches:
z kitchen
avant gout
le pre verre
chez denise
table d aude
jacques melac
bistro paul bert
l'ourcine
brasserie de ill st louis
l'equitable
temp au temps

here are some links:
http://www.boston.com/travel/article...h_buzz/?page=2

http://www.lexpress.fr/mag/saveurs/d...asp?ida=431865

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/01/2...l/22paris.html
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Has anyone had a chance to try Le Comptoir?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM

plambers, I didn't see your list before I posted; if you have the opportunity to eat at Le Comptoir I would love to hear your comments! Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Grantop, I tried to book Le COmptoir over 4 months ago but they were booked then thru May! The hotel they are affililated with holds the majority of the tables for its guests but releases them at 3 pm. I REALLY want to eat there and will do my best!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Plambers, I'm going to have to live vicariously through you on this one - good luck, I really hope you can get a table!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Grantop, at least if you do it vicariously, you wont' pay the bill nor gain the weight!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -