Reload this Page >

Loose Tea: Places to buy in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Catherine

Hello Fodorites I have noticed quite a number of well traveled people on here. I am looking for your favorite place in Europe to buy tea and any brand recommendations. I will be going abroad in September and am putting together my shopping list. Any and all suggestions are great. Thank you. P.S. It can be either loose tea or tea bags..

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:11 AM
zel

If you are in London go and buy some at Fortnum and Mason. Very good.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Sherry

Paris France - there is a wonderful tea that someone brought home it is I think Mariage Frers (sp?) I threw the tin away when I was finished...shame on me!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:28 AM
lynn

Hi Catherine:<BR>A subject dear to my heart. I look for loose tea wherever I go. In England definitely try Fortnum and Masons, and Harrods (I have the most wonderful tea caddy still that I use to store tea with the harrod's logo on it) also you could look for a shop selling Taylor's of Harrogate brand.<BR>In France definitely Mariage freres (these are found in towns other than Paris as well). Last year in Sarlat in the Dordogne we found a little Mariage freres shop while wandering the old streets. The shopkeeper was amazing, he pulled down red lacquered tin after red lacquered tin filled with the most incredibly different types of tea. Real and herbal. He actually chose a few for me after asking what I liked in a tea. <BR>You can also check out gourmet food shops around the country where different kinds of tea's are sold. In Paris you might try Fauchon's (on one of the corners surrounding the Madeleine......fairly pricey but wonderful range of choice)<BR>Enjoy!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Beth

Whittard - bought somewhere in either Bath or the Lake District in England. It's been a few years; I still have several bags in the freezer. Sold in their own shops. "My" flavor is Mango Indicia. And, although I didn't buy any this trip, there are a number of great tea shops in Paris, one already mentioned above.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Ben

Whittard are a big chain with branches all over the UK, see http://www.whittard.co.uk - there are 2 in Bath alone.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Beth

Thanks Ben. That's why I wasn't sure where I had bought my tea because I knew I had seen the shops in various locations. My last replacements were done by mail order.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Catherine

Thank you for responding! I really appreciate your assistance.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:34 AM
katrina

lynn, do you happen to know where there is a good store to buy loose tea in brugge?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
topsy

tp<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:02 PM
lynn

Hi Katrina:I am not sure about tea shops in Brugge unfortunately.<BR>I have checked to see if there are any mariage freres locations in Brugge but can't see any. However I am sure there must be some gourmet food shops that will carry some good teas.<BR>Sorry I couldn't help.<BR>Good luck<BR>Lynn

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Kathy

In London, I like going to The Tea House (that's the actual name) for teas. Great teas - they even have lychee tea!

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the dollar being so week any other suggestions?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:58 PM

I mean weak!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:06 PM

How many suggestions do you need? And where are you talking about? If someone mentions a great place in Hvar, will that do you any good? Where are you looking?
I'll second the Tea House in London.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 05:15 PM

I live in the UK and I'm going to the US for a vacation. Where can I get a good meal? See the similarities, Catherine?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:11 PM

Hediard in Paris; I bought mine in Galleries Lafayettes.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:47 PM

http://www.twinings.com/en_int/exper...rand_shop.html
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:52 PM

This thread is phenomenally silly - plus the original poster has already been to Europe, so who cares? People are actually going to vacation in Europe and headache about the dollar's value with relation to a box of loose tea? Sorry, I don't *get* it.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 07:52 PM

Mariage Freres in France. They have a huge selection.

In Wilhelmshaven, Germany, where I have friends, there is a nice tea shop in the mall where I always stop when I am in town. The cherry tea is to die for. Unfortunately, Wilhelmshaven is not a location I'd recommend to tourists (if they did not have friends there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -