Reload this Page >

Looking for UK countryside highlights.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Tracey

My husband and I are returning to London and along with re-visiting London, would like to tour a bit outside the city. I have a kind of obsession with the English countryside (although I've never been there, so maybe this should be called a fantasy). We're looking for suggestions/'can't miss' spots outside London. Appreciate any input. Thanks.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Andy

Hi Tracey--Definitely go to the countryside--you can stay in wonderful manor houses in the Cotswolds, Bath,Devon,Chester, and the Lakes District-ie.Grasmere-- <BR> <BR>We went this past spring and spent 6 days driving to Chester(a wonderful medieval walled city surrounded by a river) and then drove up to the Lakes District and finally down thru the Cotswolds....this was our 3rd trip to the countryside and we love due to the antiquing that we do.... <BR> <BR>If you are into antiquing, do to the various websites so you will know when the fairs are going on,so you can plan your trip accordingly...... <BR> <BR>Bath and the Cheddar Gorge are wonderful and Devon is home of the famous DEVON cream with scones---a major delicacy--

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 11:29 AM
davidx

Foot and mouth is still something which should be considered and could spoil a trip to the Lake District, Devon or, my favourite, Yorkshire. I guess you could well consider North Wales.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 01:51 PM
nevcharlie

And if you don't want to go too far from London there is wonderful scenery in Kent ( the garden of England ) Surrey and Sussex between London and the south coast. Get a good map, hire a car and get off the beaten track ! (and those pub lunches !!)

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Andy

Tracey- we went to the Lakes District DURING the height of Foot and Mouth--HAD NO PROBLEM--your car drives over disinfecting mats--As long as you don't eat the beef or lamb you will be fine---We ate lots of duck,and fish and it was fabulous...The economy was hurting pretty bad and people were surprised in England that we didn't cancel our trip--but we looked up the websites on foot and mouth and spoke to people in England in areas we were going and were told only certain sites were closed---Of all the sites closed,the only 1 we didn't get to see was Beatrix Potter's House---So don't let someone scare you--IT IS FINE to go to the Lakes and Cotswolds and all the other places I noted--ENJOY-it is gorgeous terrific scenery!!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:11 PM
kam

Anyone going to the UK should know that foot and mouth is virtually a thing of the past and even at the height of the epidemic, it was never a threat to humans--just to the animals with cloven hoofs. You may safely eat all the lamb and beef you wish. So many places in the English countryside---the Lake District, the Cotwolds, Devon, Cornwall, Oxford, Canterbury, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Kent etc. The trains will take you to a lot of places. We try to go every year to visit dear English friends. This year we'll be in Yorkshire and Northumberland. Will post on return.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Linda

Kam, can I go with you to Yorkshire? I won't fit in a 22" carry-on, though, so you'll have to check baggage (wht me inside). (I can only afford one trip a year, and this year is Spain, but England, especially Yorkshire, keeps calling my name.)