Reload this Page >

looking for suggestions for a trip to Germany/Switzerland/Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 12:58 PM
Suzanne

We are beginning to plan a trip to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for 13 days in late May. We fly in & out of Frankfurt, but we're looking for suggestions in terms of cities or places to see, itineraries, hotels, ideas, etc. We are renting a car. There are 4 of us - all around 30 years old. Our thoughts so far include visiting Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Black Forest, Lucerne, Zurich, Salzburg, Insbruck, & Munich. Is there someplace we are missing or should skip? I'd appreciate to hear any thoughts you may have. Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 01:23 PM
bo_jack

That is a lot of territory to cover -- especially going both into and out of Frankfurt. Unless there is some compelling reason not to do so, it would make more sense to fly into Frankfurt and out of Munich (normally no drop fee if the rental car is dropped in the same country).

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 02:05 PM
Debi

I went to a few of those cities. I stayed in Munich - which I liked because it was a great place to take day trips from to see the Castles in Germany (the BEST!). I also went to Salzburg - loved it, Lucerne - loved it alot, Innsbruck - liked it some, and Vienna - which I also loved alot. The other cities I didn't go to. I loved visiting that part of Europe, though. It's absolutely beautiful and you will enjoy it no matter which cities you go to. Look at Vienna, though, it was one of my favorites...

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Amanda

Hi Suzanne, <BR> <BR>You will love Heidelberg. Will you be going to King Ludwig's castle's? We stayed at Hohenschwangau for a night - it's such a difference from a normal city. <BR> <BR>If you can spare a day - visit Halstatt. It's about 2 hours train ride... not sure about car trip from Salzburg. This includes time taken to change trains. An amazingly quaint austrian town. <BR> <BR>Amanda.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Suzanne

Thanks for the suggestions so far. We have to go into & out of Frankfurt because of some of our Frequent flyer ticket restrictions. <BR> <BR>What does anybody think about Zurich or Innsbruck? I've heard they are more city like and not as quaint as some of the other towns. We tend to like the smaller towns. We know we want to see castles. Other than that we are trying to learn as much as possible to draft up an itinerary.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 01:39 PM
big fan

SUZANNE, Given only 13 days and start and end in Frankfurt, I would reverse <BR>your direction and plan on only 5 destinations on this itinerary. IMHO, you should drop the big cities and see <BR>the cool places that make Europe unique <BR> <BR>I would go from the airport to Rothenburg for the first 2 nites. Then down the Romantic road, but divert around Munich straight to Salzburg for <BR>probably 3 nites and day trips to the <BR>Salkammergaut area and Hallstatt. <BR> <BR>Then, on to Reutte, Austria to avoid the masses in Bavaria but still close <BR>enough to catch the castles---2 nites. <BR> <BR>The Swiss portion is then tough to pin down. I would spend 4 nites there but <BR>split it between Luzern and Berner Oberland---the best of the Alps. <BR> <BR>Then north to Heidelberg for your last <BR>nite before departure. You may want a <BR>stop in between. I know this may not all make sense to you, so contact me <BR>directly if you need clarification. <BR>All of these places are quaint and historic. The big cities are just that <BR>and will be a hassle with your car. <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 01:41 PM
wes fowler

I'm tempted to suggest that you forsake Bavaria and Austria. Bavaria will be inundated with tourists from May 21 through early October. Oberammergau is staging its Passion Play from that May date. The play will attract over 4500 theatre goers daily, more than 820,000 over the course of the summer. Accommodations will be difficult to find, particularly for a party of four; accommodation and restaurants costs will assuredly be escalated since the play is a once every ten year event; tourist attractions within the area should be plagued with long lines for admission; traffic congestion a problem. You'd be wiser I think to consider the Rhine and Moselle Valleys (easily accessible from Frankfurt), then travel through Heidelberg, Strasburg, Freiburg into Switzerland. <BR> <BR>I can give you some detailed suggestions for itineraries in the Rhine and Moselle areas if you're interested. Just Email me directly.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Suzanne

Wes & big fan - <BR>Thanks for your ideas! I'm getting a good feel of what to do and see and I've been reading a bunch of past postings. I'm sure I will contact you as I have more specific questions. <BR>Suzanne