Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for Specialy Park outside of London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 05:12 AM
KAY

My father, during World War II was stationed or had <BR>R & R at a castle named <BR>Specialy Park ( I may be spelling it wrong) outside of London. I was wondering if anyone had any information about it or knew if it was still standing, etc.? Or where I could get some information on it? <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks!!!

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 12:42 PM
Ben Haines

<BR>I'm a Londoner aged 62 and am afraid I've never heard the name. You might like put your question to the Imperial War Museum in London. The post Office will deliver to The Imperial War Museum, Lambeth North, London SE1. Or your web searcher will find an e-mail address on the museum's web site. <BR> <BR>Could this be Osterley Park ? I don't know what it was in the war. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 02:53 PM
KT

Does Bletchley Park sound right? It's a country house sort of near London (30 miles??) that was the headquarters of the British code-breaking project during WWII? I don't know much about it, but I'm sure there's info out there if that's the right place, since it's so historically significant.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Ron

What interesting suggestions as to what Specialy Park might really be. Philip Zeigler's book, London at War, suggests that Osterley Park was used for Home Guard training. Lord Jersey, when asked if they could use his home and park, is reported to have said, of course, though he hoped they wouldn't blow up the house because it had been in the family for some time. I guess they didn't. <BR> <BR>Bletchley Park is in Milton Keynes, about twice as far from London as KT suggested ~55 miles. But, if it is the place, it is open for visits on alternate weekends throughout the year. A most fascinating place to visit, if you are at all interested in that aspect of WWII.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 07:11 AM
KAY

Thanks to Ben, KT, Ron for answering my search. After further discussion with my father ...I apologize for not doing that first....I found out that he thought the spelling was "Speckley Park" about 5 miles outside of London then. He was with the 8th Air Force 749th squadron stationed at Clackston near Peterburough. <BR> <BR>I appreciate your help! <BR>a <BR>

Old Jun 8th, 1999, 12:13 AM
George Holt

There is a Claxton in Norfolk which is kind of near Peterborough. Try <BR> <BR>http://www.a2btravel.co.uk/ <BR> <BR>they have online maps with a fuzzy search that will turn up places that sound like what you type, maybe you'll have some luck.