looking for somewhere quiet on the coast

Nov 9th, 2001, 09:40 AM
melissa

looking for somewhere quiet on the coast

Hi all,

I would like to find an wild, isolated place somewhere on the coast to stay put for a week or so and do some writing and contemplation. Suggestions? I was thinking maybe somewhere in Scotland or Brittany?

Nov 9th, 2001, 11:16 AM
xxx

Melissa

Either is a great choice. Cottage or Hotel? Remote or village? I have suggestions in both places

Nov 9th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Judy

Try St.David's in Wales.

Nov 9th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Ann

Presqu'isle de Crozon in Brittany - truly beautiful and wild. It was certainly quiet enough at the end of September.

Nov 9th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Judy

Brittany,West Highland in Scotland,Cornwall and north Devon are all my favorite coastal places in Europe for hiking and exploraton.

But,for contemplation,the magnificent sceneries along Pembroke coastal park have a sombre effect.Probably because the thousand years old religious sitest.David's Cathedral,tiny austere St.Non's chapel,St.Justinian..,or ruinned Porth Clais,old fishing port Solva, or miles empty golden sand beaches at Whitesand Bay,Broad Heaven..Or the rugged,surreal seashore at Marlose Sand.

You could walk along the coastal pathes for hours without seeing anyone,only the pounding waves,howling winds and endless sky/sea with you. Or sitting at the darking chapel attending evensongs,listening male chorals.Or sitting by the fireplace in a pub chatting with locals.

Nov 10th, 2001, 10:19 AM
John H

Hi, melissa,

You might want to pick up the November issue of Expedia Travels magazine, which lists "84 places to escape the wired world."The focus of this issue is "Taking time out: serenity, seclusion, simplicity". Their recommendation for Brittany is "Hotel de la Plage" in Ste. Anne-La-Palud, France, which is a Relais et Chateaux property (www.relaischateaux.com/laplage).

This article also has recommendations on Guernsey in the Channel Islands, Cornwall, and an island off of Brittany, among other suggestions.

Enjoy!

John H.