Reload this Page >

Looking for small gift ideas from Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 03:08 PM
Mike Miller

Going to Italy next month and would like some input on small gifts you brought back to give to your friends and relatives.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 03:17 PM
Dani

Well, you didn't say where you're going, but if you're going to Venice and other cities known for glassmaking, glass figurines are a good idea. I don't know if you mean small in cost or stature; anyway, the figurines are both pretty cheap and tiny. There's a kind for anyone (ie soldier figures for young boys, animals of all types for animal lovers, etc) Also, glass jewelery like the millifiori ones in necklaces and earrings. I know you can buy these things here in the states, but most are made in Italy and it's reminiscent of the area. I know when I visited Venice we got lots of them for good prices. TO protect them in travel, use empty film cannisters packed w/cotton balls. Hope this helps!!!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 06:53 PM
Dayle

I know lots of other women like me who enjoy the little glass "candies" from Venice. They come in all colors and look like fancy wrapped hard candy. They travel very well, come in all price ranges and look good on your office desk or at home.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 08:30 PM
lisa

Venice definitely is the place to find wonderful inexpensive glassware. Last year I brought back exquisite perfume holders made out of glass intertwined with gold. I also bought a very inexpensive & beautiful plate. They wrap everything up in plastic bubble wrap and it survives the rigors of travel in a suitcase. Past years I've also purchased the lovely Venetian necklaces and earrings. Pottery from Umbria is another wonderful thing to bring back! If you happen upon an outdoor market and enjoy spices (or have relatives who do so) the spices are fabulous! Last year we brought back wonderful paprika, multi-colored peppers, and a fabulous mixture of peppers,oregano,onions and more!! <BR>Florence also has very good buys in leather goods... <BR>Ciao! Lisa

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 10:54 AM
kathy

Don't forget woodcarvings. I stumbled on the cutest Pinnochio figures carved from wood in a small shop between Milan and Lake Como. The name of the town escapes me, but Pinnochio had two noses for interchanging. I bought one (intended to get several more later in our trip - couldn't find them) and did get several smaller versions that we use for Christmas ornaments. Everyone I Pinnochio to like him and they sure were easy to pack and carry. When I got home, I bought small story books for our grandchildren. I picked up several more medium sized Pinnochios at the airport. Just a thought - in case you forgot(as I did) that Italy is where Pinnochio came from! <BR>Another suggestion: if you visit the Vatican gift shop, medals are easy to carry and can be given as charms for bracelets. We were lucky to be in Milan during a "bread" exhibition(?), which was spectacular seeing what they made out of loaves and buns, etc. so creative! We were given a poster which I dragged all through Italy, then gave it to our daughter (a dietician)upon returning. She has it framed and hanging in her kitchen. So .... tuck a mailing tube in your bag just in case. We loved Italy and had no problems whatever during our two weeks there.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:04 PM
pam

If you are going to Florence, look for a shop called Il Papiro. Their 'florentined' paper goods are beautiful, and for about 2500 lire they have postcards with beautiful renditions of Florentine landmarks. They have blank books and boxes covered with their papers. Also I bought leather gloves for my sister-in-law in the San Lorenzo market for 20000 lire (about $12)--they had every color of the rainbow. Wallets, neckties, small leather goods, are all reasonable and easy to pack. In Rome I bought silk scarves from a street vendor for 10000 lire. In Florence at the markets they were 25000 lire (yes I'm sure mine are silk). I also brought back a calendar w/ pictures of Uffizi holdings for my art-historian friend. Also Baci!

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:23 PM
cp

The best present someone ever brought me from Italy was a small bottle of olive oil. The oil was part of a batch that had won some sort of best-tasting award. It's not something you'd readily find here in the States, even in foodie heaven.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:27 PM
Rod Hoots

In Florence, look for nicely embossed leather bookmarks. <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 12:29 PM
martha python

Also in Florence (and no doubt many other places) is some great pottery--mugs, pasta bowls, little vases, etc. It's pretty sturdy.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 01:14 PM
Marilyn Ham

Near the Vatican is a shop that sells pretty pins and necklaces that look like they are made out of mosaic pieces. Italy has a wonderful selection of gifts, most of which are not that expensive. M. Ham

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 01:52 PM
Jiminy Cricket

To Kathy above: <BR>I think (but I'm not sure) that the name of the town with all the pinocchio stuff is "Collodi" or something similar. The author even took Collodi as his pen name ( I forget the author's real name).

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 02:10 PM
leechase

<BR>I agree with Dayle. The little glass candies are wonderful. I'm so sorry I didn't buy more....a good excuse to go back! I have had so many visitors to my home that thought they were real. <BR>Also, a nice gift is the ceramic masks. You'll see them everywhere in Venice.

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 07:18 AM
jen

I didn't like having to worry about glass breaking...what I got for gifts was florentine stationery that I bought for approx 6,000 lire at the san lorenzo market...there are some beautiful patterns...

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 07:43 AM
Richard

When I went to Italy this summer I didnt want to bring everyone something typical so I got all my work friends a tube of Italian 'designer' toothpaste! Stop in a 'Farmacia' and have a look. There are actually a few designer type brands which come in beautiful packaging and taste great. Its like a gourmet treat in the morning! Compliment your gift with a nice toothbrush. <BR> <BR>Its fun and your friends will think you are nuts.

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 08:20 AM
cherie

Shops near the Ponte Veccio (sp?) in Florence sell marvelous leather gloves; Ginori China; handbags. Straw handbags are quite well- made in Italy. The jewelry there is quite well-made, also. Lots of 18k; good oxblood coral on the Ponte Veccio as well. They also set turquoise in 18k in Europe. In the US we usually see it in silver. We also bring back etchings or prints of etchings of places we visit. (In France, the castles; in Italy, the ruins make perfect etchings.) They are flat and travel easily. A quality picture-framer will make an inexpensive print look like the Mona Lisa.

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 09:02 AM
Marlene

My favorite way to find gifts is to go to Standa (think a bigger-better Woolworths) for usable things such as hand creams, toothpastes, their foods area with mayonnaise(in a tube!)and other condiments. Fun for cooks. Some unusual small kitchen tools.

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 09:32 AM
Meg

When I was a child, my parents took me to Italy. I brought back silk hankies for my teachers. I think we got them at Standa which was kind of like a small Wal-Mart. If I'm not mistaken there is a Standa down the street directly across from the Spanish Steps in Rome. (Or least there was 20 years ago.) As a thank you for borrowed luggage, a friend of mine brought me a small picture frame covered in Florentine paper that I've enjoyed very much. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Dennie

In Venice, they sell tiny little decorated masks for about $3 apiece, like the kind they use for Carnivale. They are cheap, light, and extremely pretty. <BR> <BR>Any museum shop anywhere in Italy will have lots of little unique inexpensive items you can pick up. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 11:15 PM
Diane

Florence is the best for leather products. In Venice I recommend glass stick pins (or hat pins). They made great Christmas presents, and they pack so easily while traveling. While on Burano, I bought a small watercolor with a Venice scene from the artist. BTW, I always travel with some bubble wrap. I think the mosaic jewelry is called something like millefiori. I also like to shop in the supermarkets where the locals do their shopping. I buy bars of chocolate that look exotic, and at a fraction of the price charged by the more upscale chocolatiers.

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 10:23 AM
alan

Some of the Italian leather and glass work is very nice and inexpensive. However, for my money the best thing we brought back was a small (5 x 7 approx) watercolor from Florence. <BR> <BR>If you go to the courtyard in front of the Ufizzi, there are a number of artists selling their works. Many are very nice, one of a kind and inexpensive ($5 to $50, depending of size). <BR> <BR>I highly recommend it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -