Looking for hotel just outside Paris

Dec 5th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Lesley

Looking for hotel just outside Paris

I will be driving from Spain through France in January, and am looking for a hotel which is outside Paris (I am too chicken to drive in Paris) but with good rail/bus connections with the centre. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dec 5th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Alice

I have not done this, but I think Versailles would be a possible choice. I don't know how it is to drive into Versailles, but I do know you can use the RER from the Versailles Rive Gauche station into Paris, as well as take the bus. There are several hotels within 1/2 mile of the station, in varying price ranges. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about what road you will be coming in on could recommend a hotel/town that is more direct.

Dec 6th, 2001, 05:48 AM
Julie

You could try St. Germain en Laye. We stayed there at the Ermitage des Loges (then a Best Western three star hotel, not sure if still in BW chain). St. Germain has RER service to Paris but is a nice quieter, upscale suburban city. Has its own chateau and lovely shopping (but one traffic circle you'll have to navigate) The hotel is also nice with a garden in back. It's walking distance to the RER station.

Dec 6th, 2001, 10:39 AM
Christina

I think it really does depend on your route, but I suspect you will be coming up the A10, switching to the A6 to go into Paris and then going towards Calais on the A1 on the north side of Paris. Is that correct? (I was just assuming you'd be going over to England from your address, maybe not. If so, Versailles or St-Germain-en-Laye (both of which I agree might be good ideas) are not very convenient to that route. It depends how close into Paris you want to get and how comfortable with maps and driving a little in the suburbs. There are lots of hotels around the peripherique (big road that encircles Paris) at the major "portes" (streets into Paris), but usually more modern chain hotels. If you are not on the RER, it may be too time consuming or expensive to commute into Paris. Also, some places with good connections may just be so far out that it would take too long. Here a couple ideas: something around Porte Italie on the southern city edge (that's where you'd come in on the A6), or staying in Montreuil on the east side (right on the peripherique, that is an interesting town), or St-Denis on the northern side of Paris (which is right on the A1 towards the channel). St-Denis is not super charming, but it is right on a metro line and not too far out, has plenty of 2-star hotels (not so many at higher end), and has some interesting things worth seeing right there (Cathedral, museum). Also, you wouldn't be driving a lot out of your way either before or after. Paris is such a large urban area with so many suburbs, that it would be best if you were very specific as to where you want to be or lots of advice is not going to work. Mine wouldn't be so good if you aren't going to England but want to stay in the NW part of France (in which case the other two ideas might work).

Dec 6th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Wayne

Lesley--
I like the little village of Fontainebleau, with or without the palace. Actually the village is nice. The Hotel L'Aigle Noir is very nice, in a great location, with a good restaurant.