Reload this Page >

Looking for Dublin b and b

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 11:39 AM
beth

I am looking for a nice Dublin b and b or guest house - reasonably priced - easy walking to Temple Bar and downtown area - that is fairly modern - any ideas? Am I asking too much. Has anyone stayed at Ariel, Fitzwilliam, Kilronan, Number 31 or Hibernian. these are a little ways out so if anyone knows of anything closer in...

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 01:47 PM
mary

Beth <BR>I don't really have any experience with a B&B right in Dublin but this past summer we stayed at a lovely place in Drumcondra. If I went back (which I would love to!!!)I would rather be right in the city to make the most of our time there. As we toured around the city I did observe Jury's Christchurch Inn to be right in the thick of things....a great spot for being near everything! <BR>We had looked into Jury's and some of the guest houses you mentioned but they were booked...thus we ended up outside the center. I do recall, though, from my own accomodation research that Jury's was well thought of for being a good value and quite an acceptable place to stay. It is really a hotel atmosphere, however, and that may not be what you want at all. I do recall,also, that Kilronan and Number 31 were popular and booked way ahead. I'm sure others will respond with more experienced info that will be helpful. Have a wonderful trip! <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Kathy

Yes I stayed at Kilronan 2 times in Oct 97 and we went for St. Patricks day this year. (the best St.Patrick's day I will ever have). I can highly recommend Kilronan. i think it was about 100.00 US for a room inc full cooked Irish breakfast. Terry the owner is very nice. He just took it over and they were redoing some of the rooms. I think Number 31 is owned by Noel the former owner/manager of Kilronan he is real friendly and nice. We liked the loca for Kilronan, 4 blocks from St. Stephens Green and about 15 min walk from Temple Bar. The neighborhood was quiet except Sat nite the disco around the corner was loud but it didnt go to late and it was the day after St.Patricks day.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 10:08 AM
Don

I've stayed at Kilronan House www.dublinn.com several times and it's just great! It's about as close in as you can get and still be quiet and reasonably priced. The owner, Terry Masterson, couldn't be more helpful. However, you need to book early to get into the good places in Dublin, so don't delay.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 01:02 AM
Mike

Beth, <BR> <BR>1. Anglesea Town House - great breakfast, "different" (you'll love ot or hate it - I loved it) <BR>2. Raglan Lodge - elegant breakfast room <BR>3. No 31 (Leeson St) - designer touches, needed decorating (think that's been done) <BR> <BR>After that, I didn't bother committing to memory! All the above South Dublin, ten minutes to Grafton St/ St Stephens Green, bit more to Temple Bar. Haven't stayed at any of the others mentioned. <BR> <BR>No 31 is the only one that aspires to modernity - used to be an architect's house. Anglesea Town house has a fairly modern, airy breakfast room - pine floor and white walls, but with the obligatory bits of silver lying around. Raglan Lodge tries to conform to its grand Georgian setting - bit mahogany table and sideboard, lots of vigorous polishing! <BR> <BR>PS I quite liked No 31, just preferred the others.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 01:57 PM
stephanie

I've also stayed at the Kilronan and was pleased. Good breakfast and good location. I also stayed at the Ariel house - farther location and a lot more posh. If you're looking for low-key and location, the Kilronan is a good bet.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 08:50 AM
don

I stayed at the Ariel this past weekend about a 5-10 minute cab ride to Temple Bar. Very nice accomodations at around $100 per night. What ever you do plan on making reservations for dinner. Everywhere we went was booked. Have fun, great city!