Looking for BUDAPEST feedback for approaching trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Counting the days till BUDAPEST trip at the end of DECEMBER.

We plan on spending our time visiting Budapest & will include a tour of the PARLIAMENT, A WALKING TOUR of the GREAT SYNAGOGUE & JEWISH HERITAGE sights.

Of course a 1 hour excursion on The Danube, as it is a first visit to BUDAPEST.

HOUSE OF Terror, Buda Castle, and all the "usual main sights."

Walking......walking......walking to see all the wonderful buildings and flavor of the city.
visiting the Central Market, tasting fattening HUNGARIAN Cusine.

We are "still on the fence" regarding the SZECHNYI BATHS, and potential other sights to NOT MISS.

Is "STATUE PARK" worth a short visit?

Dinner reservations are already "in place."
We will go to VIENNA (just for 2 days), staying 1 night in Vienna as we will have the time.
It will only be a "quick taste of VIENNA" but better for a short time, then not at all. It is only 3 hours by train, so worth it, as we will have 6 days in Budapest.

Any special Sights or DELICIOUS meals or CAFE'S to include?
comments greatly appreciated.
Trend Girl

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I was in Budapest last month and loved it. It was also less crowded than Prague. I would definitely spend some time walking around Castle Hill as you mentioned. I stayed at the Hilton next to the Matthias Church & Fishermen's Bastion, and one of my favorite things was roaming the narrow, picturesque streets. Dohany Synagogue was very interesting too. Other favorites which you have not mentioned follow:

1. Climbing the dome of St. Stephen's Basilica -- the view is stunning. The interior of the church is beautiful as well.

2. The Museum of Fine Arts at Heroes' Square -- they have a very fine collection, which you will enjoy if you are into art.

3. Ruszwurm Cukrászda -- a very small, very old bakery/confectionery on Castle Hill, just off Holy Trinity Square. Their Ruszwurm Creams are the best dessert I had in Budapest, Vienna or Prague.

4. Cafe Gerbaud -- on Vorosmarty Ter in Pest, this is the epitome of the European grand cafe, worth stopping in for a coffee and dessert

5. Gellert Hill -- I took a taxi to the Liberation Monument at the top, where the views of both Buda & Pest were amazing, then walked all the way down the hill, past the Gellert Monument to the bottom. If you have time, this is a lovely (and less crowded) area.

I am all for walking too, but if you want to go a long distance in a short time, use the subway system. Budapest's subway was very clean, fast and easy to use. I bought a Budapest Card at my hotel that was good for free transportation and discounts on entry fees. Whether you use the card or buy tickets, be sure to have the card (activated for the proper days) or validate your tickets. There were inspectors all over every station I passed through.

Do you have Vienna questions too?
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM

I had one of the best meals of a lifetime in Budapest last year. If you have a chance try a restaurant called Tom George. It's a couple of blocks behind the 4 Seasons on the way to St Stephens. I would go back to Budapest just to go there!
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Budapest is very beautiful. you can add a visit of Opera, of St. Stefan Church, at Fishermen bastion (and the church nearby)...

Please check to make sure that during your stay there a cruise on Danube is available. I am not sure that they run in the winter.
We visit budapest at end March - beginning of April and our cruise was cancelled because of high level of Danube. So, be prepared in order to not be disapointed.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Trendgirl2...
It sounds like you have most of your bases covered. As for Statue Park, that depends. We really enjoyed it, takes about 1-2 hours to go through the place, it is sort of a one-of-akinder. I remember seeing the statues in their previous locations all over the city, now you can see them all in one place.

One cafe that I really like is the Mozart Cafe on Jozsef Korut. Along the 4/6 Tram line. IMO the Mozart Cake is to die for. As for Gerbaud, coffe yes, cakes no. Very overrated and expensive.

You might want to check out an Opera or Ballet while there. Tickets can be bougth for most shows at the box office you might need to plan ahead depending on what is playing.

There is some amazing architecture
in BUD all you have to do is keep an eye out. One place that is amazing is the Puskin Movie house located on Kossuth Lajos Utca 18. The inside is really beautiful, built in 1926 it is a very charming building. Take a peek into the lobby, and just ask, they might actually let you see the cinema area. It makes you wonder it was realy like in when it origionally opened.

As previously mentioned in another post, check out City Park, Heroes Sq area. In the winter the little lake is frozen over and you can go ice skating. Or just have some boiled wine (foralt bor)red=voros white=feher. Very important words, beer=sor

You definately want to make it to the top of Gellert Hill. Busz actaually leaves from Moricz Zsigmond Korter. Look for the McDonalds there and face it, walk along the sidewalk infront of it. You will see many signs for bus stops, just ask say: Gellert Hegy (almost like hedge). Ask an older person, most are happy to help out, the little granny will probably take you by the arm and put you right on the bus, and wave to you as it pulls out. I would suggest walking down. Almost at the bottom is a hidden gem. There is a stone statue of King/Saint Stephen. Just a few steps up from the statue is Cave Church. It is just as the name states. A church that was built into the hill. During the Nazi occupation it was covered over by boulders and again discoverd and updated. It is small, if there is no mass going on, you are welcome to visit, for free.

It will be quite cold, with the wind howling down the side streets. Dress warm, in layers, as mentioned before, the stores/restaurants are so overheated you will start sweating in less than a minute. When we where there in Dec, I wore a long sleeve t-shirt and a winter jacket, no sweater was required, and that is coming from FL

Enjoy and have a wonderful trip. S

Old Nov 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Last November I visited Budapest as part of a Northern European tour. The boats on the Danube were still running at that time of the year and we had a cold, but clear, beautiful evening cruise. To board the boat we walked down the length of the dock, boarded one boat, only to walk in one side and out the other in order to board ours - an adventure before an adventure, for sure!

If you are looking for unusual gifts to bring home check out the second floor of the covered market for a stand with "magic boxes" made by hand of all sizes - for kids and adults - different finishes and very charming, at a nominal price. The proprietor will show you how they work.

In Budapest, definitely Girbaud Coffee House. In Vienna don't miss the Mozart Cafe -- both old world places not to be missed.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 11:19 AM

We spent four nights in Budapest before taking a river cruise - we enjoyed it very much. We did go to the Szechnyi baths - take flip flops, towels and maybe a bath robe - we really enjoyed the morning we spent there. Budapest from the Danube at night is a great sight - hope the boats are operating in December. We also saw the Cave Church and the market too - got alot of little gift items at the market, wish now I'd picked up a few more. Two places we ate that we liked - BaBar and The Saracen - not really traditional Hungarian food, more upscale cafes. Have a great trip - I wish we had spent more time there.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:58 PM

On the second floor of the great market (where all the craft stall are) there is one wall with food stalls. Try some langos (it's essentially fried dough, but with about 50 kinds of topping- sweet and savory. Traditional is with garlic juice, grated cheese, sour cream and ham).

Another highlight for me was the "shoe memorial" on the banks of the Danube between Parliament and the Chain Bridge. One of the most moving memorials I've seen. In the final days of the war the Nazis lined up Jews and shot them so they'd fall into the river. I found it much more moving than many memorials I've seen.

The best views I felt were from the fisherman's bastion on castle hill and from the tip of Margit island. I though they were better than from higher up (Gellert Hill).

I also really like the castle in city park.

The whole city is beautiful. My photos of it are at: www.pbase.com/annforcier/budapest
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 01:22 PM

I am one of those who is not a fan of Gerbaud's. It is, in my opinion, considerably overrated and also over-priced. It's the main tourist trap in Budapest.

I suggest the Central Coffeehouse. While it, too, has tourist appeal, you actually see some locals there. Another good option is the expensive and beautiful New York Coffeehouse, re-opened last year after major refurbishment; the service there is so stylish that it is an entertainment in itself.

The prestige restaurant in Budapest is Gundel's, worth the price. Close by, and associated with it, is Bagolyvar, a really charming place with great food at about 60% of the price level.
http://www.gundel.hu/etterem/index.php
http://www.bagolyvar.com/

I think the Central Market is great fun. At street level it is foodie heaven; the upstairs gallery offers cheap and tasty eats, and lots of stalls selling goods that you might want to bring home (leather, ornaments, table linen, and much more). If you are tempted to buy, haggle and aim to get about 20-25% off the ticket price.

I agree with shangrila about Heroes' Square and City Park.

Use Metro line 1, not just for transport, but because it is really nice.

Don't take a bus up Gellert Hill. Walk up from the Gellert Hotel (passing the cave church on the way). Go in the afternoon, so that it is getting dark as you reach the top, and see the city lit up -- beautiful. Then take a bus down.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:07 PM

We thought the Holocaust Museum was really well done. Statue Park was not that great in our opinion, but if you go don't miss the short film in the visitor center. As for anything and everything you want to know about Budapest go to everythingbudapest.com, it is a fabulous website. Check out the "Budapest Sights" section and skip down past the "usual suspects" list to find some interseting places to visit. We really enjoyed going to the Public Library they list and checking out the reading rooms - they were beaufitul! Enjoy!
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

THANKS so much for great information.
DELAINE: Thanks for review of "RUSZWUM CUKRASZDA" It is listed in some guide books, but always better to get a comment from someone that was there recently.
Yes, I am "into Art" so the MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS will be on my "list."

The DANUBE BOAT TOURS do operate in DECEMBER, But, just not as many departure times.
We will only be taking the 1 hour ride on the DANUBE.(not the dinner cruise.
Hopefully the tides won't be an issue for that short trip.

Their is a much longer Danube tour that is DANUBE BEND TOUR. That tour is an entire day trip on the Danube stopping at different towns, but we are not going on that trip.

ISABL: Thanks for mentioning the SHOE MEMORIAL, great information.

Shangrila..............We tried to find out information about THE BALLET, but so far have been unsuccessful in finding BALLET performances listed for the last week of DECEMBER.
I may e-mail the concierge at our hotel for complete INFORMATION.We are NOT into The Opera
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

We did make reservations for LUNCH at GUNDEL, as I have been told by a good friend to absolutely include that experience on our trip.
I have been told it is an experience to enjoy at least 1 time as it is very festive, and old world BUDAPEST.

comments:
TOM GEORGE restaurant in BUDAPEST- it gets great reviews.

DELAINE:
Yes............your favorites in VIENNA will absolutely be appreciated.
Did you love BELVEDERE?
We will try to WALK around as much as we can and include the BELVEDERE, HOFBURG. etc.
Whatever we are able to do I am sure will be fabulous.

VIENNA: We will really only be there for 2 days, so we will just do "the best we can" and try to see the highlights. Vienna in depth will have to be another trip.

DINNER IN VIENNA: Not sure yet where we will have dinner.

PLACHUTTA-seems to be the FOODIE CHOICE, but I am not sure we are going to like the food.
Anyone on this board eat at PLACHUTTA?

I am actually looking forward to the CAFE'S in Vienna.

Thanks again for responses, all of the comments are so useful!
TrendGirl
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 03:42 PM

Have you done your mapwork yet? Gundel's is close to the National Gallery, Heroes' Square, and the City Park, and is accessed by Metro line 1. Also a few stops along the line from the House of Terror, and another couple of stops to the Opera House.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Even if you're not an opera fan, the tour of the Opera House is very interesting--maybe 60 to 90 minutes.

If the weather is nice, the walk from the Central Market up Vaci Utca is easy--be sure to look both up and in some of the older buildings. I remember in particular a beautiful art nouveau florist shop, the detail on a small church, etc.

We hired a guide with driver for half a day--it allowed us to see some things I know we would have missed--Roman excavations, the old Jewish quarter, hideous housing built during the Soviet regime...the tour ended in Szentendre--fairly touristy and am not sure how much would be open when you are going. We then took a public boat back to Budapest just as it was getting dark.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Could you tell me the approximate price of your round trip rail to Budapest from Vienna? Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

ISABEL- I enjoyed looking at your photos......BEAUTIFUL, thanks for sharing.

PADRAIG- We will be enjoying a New Years Day Lunch at GUNDEL, so House of Terror & NATIONAL Gallery visit can not be "merged" that day.

Thanks for information about METRO #1.
We have a "general idea" of where the sights on our HIT LIST are located, but will study my STREETWISE MAP this week.

Just bought STREETWISE BUDAPEST & STREETWISE VIENNA, which will help us navigate all.
We will have plenty of time during our visit to BUDAPEST to visit NATIONAL GALLERY & HOUSE OF TERROR on separate day from GUNDEL.
It is always a plus to be able to visit "must see sights" and destination restaurants if it works out.

NINGENFEL:
Your TRAIN QUESTION:
We are not sure yet exactly what the train roundtrip fair will be for ROUNDTRIP from BUDAPEST/VIENNA.
But I think it is probably no more then 40 Euro?????

It was easier to understand the AUSTRIAN Website then the HUNGARIAN Website. I have a feeling we will have the Concierge At our BUDAPEST HOTEL reserve the tickets for us, as not to make a mistake. That will be the mistake proof method.

ATTENTION FLEA MARKET FANS:
Has anyone gone to the ECSERI flea market in BUDAPEST?

I have heard it is a ton of fun in BUDAPEST? Saturday morning is supposed to be the active day, yet it is opened every day? Not sure what the HOLIDAY end of December schedule is yet.

The responses are most appreciated.

>When we figure out "exact train roundtrip fare for BUDAPEST/VIENNA/BUDAPEST trip, I will post back.
I think it is cheaper then going from NYC to the HAMPTONS and back....about the same time too, SO not a big expense or too inconvenient either!

Trend Girl

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Thank you. My sister and I were in Vienna early Jan. 06. It was a wonderful time to be there, no crowds, beautiful walking at night. Went to a local church for a special childrens service. Hotel prices were great. I have wanted to visit Budapest, but didn't know what the roads would be like in Jan.,(we usually rent a car) so this will be a great alternative.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

NINGENFEL:
THE TRAIN should be a "no-brainer."
If you are More savvy then me using the AUSTRIAN RAILWAY WEBSITE, you can see the schedule........A TRAIN LEAVES every 2-3 hours back and forth from BUDAPEST/VIENNA.
Usually I don't try to cram in multiple countries ON MY TRIPS.
When I visited PRAGUE it was just a single CITY trip, which was perfect.
The crowds in PRAGUE were a bit annoying at the key sights, but THAT IS JUST HOW IT IS There.
Prague is so small & popular now, that the crowds can't be avoided at certain touristy sights. The CHARLES BRIDGE was a horror all the time, and I was not into visiting the CHARLES BRIDGE at 6:00am in the morning.............ON VACATION!

VIENNA (In depth) will be a separate trip for me sometime in the future, as it has so many things to see and explore, but the train and a long trip to BUDAPEST, makes it easy .
We have to fly in/out of BUDAPEST, as this trip is "all about the plane tickets WE HAVE RESERVATIONS on.
We will just get up early and take the train early to VIENNA, and have the entire day /night and next day TO ENJOY.
These are good problems to have!

Trend Girl.

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:46 AM

bookmarking. Thanks! pp
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 05:44 AM

A visit to the Szechenyi Baths was a major highlight from my solo trip to Budapest a few years ago. It was a bit of an adventure---and I loved it.

I also visited the more touristy Gellert Bath, which I also enjoyed, but not as much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -