Looking for advice on Greece/Turkey

Old May 7th, 2001, 07:20 PM
Lauren

Looking for advice on Greece/Turkey

I'm looking to plan a trip in Greece/Turkey this summer and would appreciate any advice. (i.e. advice on ferry system, ferries from Greece to Turkey, recommended hotels in Istanbul/Izmir, transportation from Izmir to Istanbul, safety in Turkey). Thanks, Lauren

Old May 13th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Rex

Anyone have any help to offer this person? Her question is almost a week old.

Regrettably, I can't tell you anything from personal experience to help you, Lauren - - but maybe topping will help get you a reply.

I would recommend http://www.greektravels.com for the questions that related to travel in and out of Greece by ferry - - or possibly http://www.about.com - - they have a lot of good info on ferries.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Janie

Hi Lauren,
Having been to the Greek Islands I can tell you that there are plenty of ferries going to Turkey. Your hotel should be able to direct you to the appropriate ferry port by taxi. I wouldn't worry too much about the ferry part of your trip. It was several years ago, but I think the cost of the ferry from Athens to the Greek Islands was approx. 12, perhaps a bit more to Turkey, but not that much more.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Old May 14th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Debbie

Lauren-Our family just got back from Turkey last month.We flew into Istanbul and then flew down to Izmir to see Ephesus so cannot help on the ferry system from Greece. We really enjoyed Turkey-people were friendly,always felt safe and the culture was amazing!We stayed in Istanbul at a Best Western hotel right across from the Hippodrome and the Blue Mosque(old ottoman house completely renovated that even had a free internet cafe downstairs!). It has pictures on the internet on its website so you can see everything. The rooms were fine,prices were around $70.00 a room complete with breakfast and taxes. If you stay over 3 days-they provide free transportation to and from airport! It is called HOTEL SPECTRA and we loved having a view of the Bosphorus River,Topaki Palace and the Blue Mosque while we ate breakfast every morning! The breakfast room is on the roof and it was a wonderful way to start the day or watch the sunsets at night.We walked everywhere as it was close and to go to the Grand Bazaar area-took the metro bus for 40 cents just down the street from the hotel.
We flew into Izmir and then rented a car and drove over to Selcuk to see Ephesus and Kasadasi for a few days. Renting a car was easy(did before we left)-husband even admitted that their interstate was like driving our tollway.(Signs are in Turkish and in English).We stayed at the HITTIT HOTEL in Selcuk which is right next to ruins.It is a very modern hotel and included breakfast and dinner everyday but has a high bus tour crowd.Although when we were there,we were the ONLY guests those nights as it was off season that week.We drove over everynight to Kasadasi for an extra lunch/dinner and walking around as the seafood restaurants were great!I would highly recommend using Frommers Turkey and Lonely Planet guides for traveling-sorry Fodors?).Any other questions-write me. I would also recommend looking at the Turkey sites for past postings as they were most informative! Debbie

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Paulo

One city in Turkey you may forget, unless you love very large, caotic ones, is Izmir ...

If you want to visit Ephesus, the most convenient Greece-Turkey ferry crossing is from Samos to Kusadasi.

From Izmir to Istanbul one my travel by air (relatively cheap) or by using the excellent bus service. If I'm not wrong, there's also a ferry but it takes quite long to get there.

For info on ferries in Greece, refer to
http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

But don't bet your life on it ... the Greek ferry system is a zoo and one should check availability and schedules locally.

Paulo

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:46 AM
betty

Lauren,
We have travelled to Greece for over 22 years. There are ferries from the wonderful island of Chios to Cesme which is 1/2 hr.or less from Izmir, a huge city. Also there are ferries from Lesbos(Mytilini) and as mentioned Samos. I would have no hesitation travelling around Turkey (we have travelled extensively 4 times by bus)and if you can avoid peak time and peak destinations you'll see real Turkey, a treasure as are the people. Hotels in Istanbul - depends so much on how much you want to pay. The Sultanamet area is the most popular with tourists and we liked the Hotel Alp (relatively cheap)and I know the Empress Zoe is also popular. By the way we stayed in Cesme instead of Izmir, which in June was quite uncrowded and lovely(a hotel right on the water where we negociated the price)