Reload this Page >

Looking for a nice place to have a smoke

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:29 AM
marie

I am going to be in Amsterdam for a few days and would like to experience the cafe/smokeshops there. I am going with a non-smoker so nothing to far over the top. Any favorites I should try?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:41 AM
MHS

Check Fodor's guide or any other guide book -- as I recall they list some "historic" brown cafes or bars -- brown from the smoke on the walls. Warning though -- they are really rather dense with both people and smoke. We looked into one but I don't recall its name or canal street -- one of the oldest in the city. Primarily young yuppie business men in suits and ties having an after-work drink & cigar. Your friend, if it is warm enough, can stand/sit at one of the sidewalk tables. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:55 AM
Bill

I may be mistaken, MHS, but I think Marie is referring to smoking substances other than tobacco. <BR>Marie - There are a number of websites that give detailed descriptions and reviews of "coffeeshops". Do a seach of "Amsterdam coffeeshop" or some such. <BR>The most popular probably ARE over-the-top and off-putting to a non-smoker. Try a smaller neighborhoood place away from the center city. We were staying near the Anne Frank House and went to the "Paradox" coffeeshop in the Jordaan neighborhood. Small, cozy, quiet. Fresh squeezed OJ - delicious! A very nice selection of smoking product that you could partake of there at a table or take away. The counter man was very helpful and patient in helping with the selection. Reminded me of a small American coffeeshop (the COFFEE kind... LOL!) near a college campus. The quality is so good in Amsterdam that you may want to ask for something medium-strength that doesn't blast you away, especially since your companion doesn't partake. (We hadn't smoked for a good number of years here in the U.S., so I KNEW we had to take it easy!)

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 07:05 AM
Smoker

A good one to try for your first experience is The Grasshopper. There is more than one location, but I'm referring to the one near Centraal Station. When you walk out of the station, continue straight past the canal boats and take a left on your first bridge. The Grasshopper is just on the other side of that bridge - it's hard to miss the green neon lights. I was told that this one is geared towards tourists. They are friendly and helpful. When you go in, walk downstairs to purchase what you'd like to smoke - then smoke anywhere that you please. The bar is upstairs - I believe there are three levels total. <BR> <BR>Once you are in Amsterdam, pick up a copy of the Mellow Pages. They can point in the direction of other places you may enjoy.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 08:08 AM
whohe

Kandinsky,Siberie (both alcohol free in quiet areas), <BR>Ricks bar,The Greenhouse (both near redlight with alcohol),Rusland (very quiet, no alcohol, quiet area near university.) <BR> Officially no alcohol can be sold on the premises, so many places have a "juice bar" at one end of the room with a cannabis menu & an alcohol bar at the other. <BR> Others, like the Grasshopper chain stick closer to the law.This can be awkward - people walk in, order a beer then discover they have to go downstairs/next door to see the "menu". <BR> Story - met a woman (40s) from Texas in the Kandinski who was finding difficulty believing her ears - "you are telling me this is legal?" <BR> "Yes, of course" said the waitress showing her a 20 page menu with photos etc. <BR> "OK, you mean I can take this back to my hotel & smoke it?" <BR> "Well......." began the waitress <BR>The Texan lady narrowed her eyes - she'd been right, there WAS a catch. <BR> "....actually they don't like smoking in many hotels - but if you don't mix it with tobacco nobody will mind!" <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 08:47 AM
Bill

Here's an on-line review site that talks about many different shops: <BR>http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Frames.shtml <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Chameleon

I was in Amsterdam Nov 2K with friends for the Cannabis Cup, so I saw my fair share. For atmosphere, de Rokerij Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 43 is way cool. Looks like the Arabian Nights. For food, Barney's Breakfast Bar Haarlemmerstraat 102, very relaxed, ate there twice. But our FAVORITE place was The Doors Singel 14 near Central Station, more of a local hangout, but friendly & great music. If you stop by on the day shift, look for Steve, he's a blast!