Question about RyanAir

Search

Question about RyanAir

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about RyanAir

I have heard this airline mentioned several times on this board. I was wondering how safe this airline is and if it is a reliable airline. Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:59 AM

It's never had a fatality.

It's among Europe's most reliable airlines. The rare problem arises when there is a problem.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM

The only bad thing is if you have claustrophobia since the seats are very close together. I almost had a panic attack since I felt I couldn't move cause I was on the inside window seat in a group of 3.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

When it's good it's good, when it isn't it becomes an experience so awful that you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy.

There's very little inbetween
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM

I had a bad experience with Ryan Air eariler this year, they delivered me to a different city 120km away and then abandoned all of the passengers there at midnight. If you're on a tight time constraint or really have to be somewhere, it might not be worth the savings as they don't offer any assistance to get you where you are going.

We did challenge the charge on our credit card and as of now we haven't paid for the flight although they sent us an email requesting payment. But we are out the money for a hotel room in Venice we didn't use and the train tickets.

Our flight with Easy Jet on the other hand went off as planned.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM

Friends had an awful experience with Ryanair earlier this year when their flight returned to Liverpool instead of Luton. They had to hire a car to get back home as it was too late for trains.
We have travelled several times with Ryanair from Birmingham to Dublin and never had any problems. Depends if you can afford to lose any time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

Definitely bad things can happen with Ryanair, but they can with other airlines too in rare instances. If you do fly Ryanair, you can help yourself with these tips:
* Don't fly a really esoteric and infrequent route if you are in a time pinch, particularly if you need to get back to catch another flight. It could be a real pain to be trapped on Sardinia, for example.
* Don't take a flight that leaves or arrives late at night, particularly if tricky onwards transport is involved.
* Make sure to arrive at the airport 2 hours before flight time, at the minimum.

It could happen to any airline that there is a reason they have to divert a flight. And I know sometimes Ryanair has managed to handle this scenario correctly, but clearly it does not do so all the time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM

WillTravel, I think your advice is very sound. Ryan Air is a budget airline, in exchange for the cost savings, you give up things like food and beverages in flight, you have to pay for excess baggage, etc. and apparently the right to be delivered to your destination.

Sounds like Bellini's friends had the same experience as us. This was the 1st time I've ever had a flight diverted so I don't really have anything to compare it to but I can't imagine an airline like United or BA leaving a full flight of people stranded in an airport 120km away from their destination after the airport was closed and not giving them any assistance. The airplane's crew lied to us and then grabbed the only taxis at the airport and fled. Thank heavens for the few airport personnel that were still there that managed to get all of us to a hotel or train station.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:48 AM

When Ryanair says something like "Check-in closes strictly 40 minutes before the scheduled time of departure." they mean that Check-in closes strictly 40 minutes before the scheduled time of departure, not 39 minutes 59 seconds. If you aren't checked in - even if you are queuing - then you don't fly even if the flight is then delayed 5 hours

So when Ryanair say "Each passenger is permitted to check in up to 3 bags with a maximum combined weight of 15kgs, subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees." they mean 1 passenger = 15kg of checked luggage, not 1 bag = 15kg checked luggage times 3 = 45kg per passenger