Look at my Paris Bistro choices for my trip in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am off to Paris (and London) in 2 weeks and have been researching all the bistros I plan to visit. I've come to the point where I don't go to too many sights but instead spend my time walking, eating and shopping. I believe this will be my 8th trip to Paris and my longest ever (8 nights)! In case you are interested I am flying Lufthansa First Class on frequent flyer miles, compliments of United Airlines!

I've been to many of the popular bistros and cafes such as L'Epi Dupin, Le Fountain de Mars, Le Florimond and Cafe de Flore. On this trip I want to go to a few of my old favorites and try some new ones. My main source of research for this trip is the Time Out Eating and Drinking book and Zagats. I also cross referenced many of the places on Frommers and other web sources.

Here is the places that are "high" on my agenda...

L'Endroit - 24 rue des Tournelles, 4e arr - This is one of my personal favorites.

Le Caveau de l'Isle - 36 rue Saint Louis en I'Isle, 4er arr. - Another one of my favorites on the Ile St Louis.

Le Hanger - 12 impasse Berthaud, near Geo Pompidou Center - I have considered this place on every trip but never went. It's suppose to be great.

Café de la Poste - 13 rue Castex, 4e arr. - I've seent his place written up in a number of book and always wanted to try it. Its near my apartment so its convenient.

Moissonnier - 28 rue des Fosses St Bernard, 5e arr. - A Lyonnais Bistro. mmmm you have to love Lyonnais food!

L'Atlas - 12 blvd St Germain, 5e arr. - Moroccan. Ilove Moroccan! This one is also highly recommended.

Le Regalade - 49 ave Jean-Moulin - This one gets the highest Zagat rating in my price range.

Le Troquet - 21 rue Francois Bonvin - This one also gets a very high Zagat rating.

Au Bon Accueil - 14 rue Monttessuy, 7 arr. - I've been to this one and loved it. I haven't been in years. Gets a high Zagat rating too. The street it is on has excellent views of the Eiffel Tower.

Coin des Gourments - 5 rue Dante, 5e arr. - When I get tired of French this Vietnamese should be a good choice!

Le Café Constant - 139 rue St Dominique, 7e arr. - This place is always packed. The menu looks good and everyone looks happy as the eat their food. I pass this one evertime I go to Le Fountain de Mars.

Juan et Juanita - 82 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud, 11e arr. - This one get great reviews and is highly recommended by Time Out.

Le Clown Bar - 114 rue Amelot, 11e arr. - This one is in my book "Paris Cafe" . It looks interesting.

Astier - 44 rue Jean Pierre Timbaud, 10e arr. - Do I dare go to this typical bistro?

Cafetiere Corse - 21 rue Mazarine, 6e arr. - Corsican food. Maybe worth a try.....

La Maison de la Lozere - 4 rue Hautefeuille, 6e arr. - Fod from the Lozere region of France. Where the heck is that? Highy recommended by Time Out.

If anyone knows anything about any of my choices, let me know!

Don't forget! I will be in Paris from November 19-27 and I will be blogging to my websight LIVE! during the entire trip. I will also be blogging from London on Nov 14-19. Here is the sight (where you can read last years blogs too);

http://richardab.typepad.com/iheartparis/

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

I loved Le Regalade, but it's been so many years since I've been. I wouldn't hesitate to go back and check it out again, though.

I *wish* I could go on a bistro tour of Paris. Sigh.

Have an excellent time!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:56 AM
SRS

Have a fun trip Richard - I always enjoy reading your trip blogs!

Sally
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM

In June we had the best meal of our trip at Astier. The cheese board alone is enough to make the meal worthwile. Try the foie gras...
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

I heard the cheese at Astier was great, that's why I put it on my list!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:49 PM

Sure you should "dare" the Astier. It's classic, good and very reasonably priced. If I were you. I'd have a drink at the Clown Bar but I wouldn't eat there. Friendly service and some atmosphere, but the food isn't all that great. Better to go Repaire de Cartouche or C'Amelot, both nearby.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM

All those in 8 days? MY, you ARE a meal planner! Hope you get to do a LOT of walking to balance things out

Have a great trip, and enjoy the food!

Oh, the Lozère is a rather remote region of eastern France that includes the Cévennes and the Aubrac. I would imagine lamb will feature prominently on the menu, as well as some wonderful sheep cheeses and maybe freshwater fish.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM

That's the same reason I want to go to Astier, Richard, the CHEESE PLATTER!!

Is that the <u>Paris Caf&eacute; Cookbook</u> by Daniel Young? Isn't it great? One of my favorite small places is listed in there: L'Et&eacute; en Pente Douce in Montmartre.

I think I'm going to try Caf&eacute; de la Musique this trip (I believe it's in the 20th). Looks interesting &amp; out of the way.

Have a good &amp; safe trip to Paris!!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Well I am not going to eat at all those places! Thos are my first picks in case I am in the neighborhood or want an adventure!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:18 AM

Thank you for posting such a great &quot;before&quot; list! Can't wait to see what your &quot;after&quot; comments are. I hope to use some recommendations in April. I am going to try to stick with bistros as I am a bit worried about my relative lack of adventurousness in the food dept. I don't care for fish, game or organ meats, and from what I see of some french menus, this will seriously impair my ability to eat at many restaurants.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
lawchick

Perhaps you could descrobe exactly what you are seeking. Many of those you mention aare quite touristic - you'll see many others there armed with their TimeOut. Do you want good food/ambiance/what?

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Did you have other thoughts? Of course I like good food at a good price!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM

Le Hanger - 12 impasse Berthaud, near Geo Pompidou Center - I have considered this place on every trip but never went. It's suppose to be great.

It is great, we go here each time we are in Paris. The huge piece of duck liver over mashed potatoes is to die for and I have also loved the Steak tartar, although they gave me about a pound, which was a bit much.
It is tucked away down a little dark alley to the street it is on. The first time we went there were a few homeless people drinking, thank goodness that it didn't stop us from finding it.The last time it was completely fine. Enjoy!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM

Our favorite is Au Petit Marguery, in the 13th. Real bistro feel, mostly French clientle, fabulous food--especially in the autumn and winter, when game is on the menu, not to mention the incredibly yummy saut&eacute;ed wood mushrooms. Don't miss them!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:57 PM

We have been to Le Regalade this year. It was very good!

Instead of Cafe Constant, I'd recommend Les Fables de la Fontaine. It is also owned by Christian Constant and is excellent. They serve fish. The address is 131 St.Dominque tele 01.44.18.37.55 This was one of our favorite dinners this last spring.

You will need reservations at both as they book up.

For excellent restaurant recommendations go to eGullet.com-France. The experts post there!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
MaureenB

We just stumbled upon Le Caveau de L'Isle last June, and had a wonderful dinner. They were so friendly and nice. In fact, the waiter 'hooked' us in from the sidewalk, as we were standing there looking at their menu, rather early in the evening. He was so friendly and irrestible, we followed him in, and were really glad we'd found it. The fixed prix meal was either 25 or 30 EU, as I remember. It was really our favorite meal of the four nights we spent in Paris. You can click on my screen name above and find more details about our trip to London-Paris-Amsterdam. Enjoy your return visit there!

Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Regalade was always my favorite but have not been there since it changed hands but the word is-it's still as good.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM

Sorry I can't help, but I need all this info, too. So thanks! And I also can't wait to hear your &quot;after&quot; comments!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:23 PM

I'd like to try Astier; does getting there from Odeon Metro involve changing at Chatelet? We will be two women, and I like to avoid Chatelet at night under any circumstances. Guess we could take a cab to and fro.
Merci for any advice about access!
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:30 PM

Hi Richard,

Already provided second thoughts. Really, finding good places to dine in Paris is not rocket science. There are no wonderful &quot;undiscovered&quot; restaurants, or if there are, they'll be discovered by the day after tomorrow. Fluency in French and dogged Web research could speed one to a relatively fresh, good spot, though the former only slightly. Cross-checking many sources is a good idea, as is your willingness to venture outside the &quot;museum&quot; arrondissements. And then there is serendipity -- how is the chef doing the night you're there, and what do you bring to the meal? Happy dining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -