Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long weekend in Portugal-where to go, and how?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
We have a last minute opportunity to go to Portugal for a long weekend. If we fly into Lisbon, where should we go, and how do we get there? We'd probably only go to one place due to time constraints. I've heard driving is bad, and the "good" areas are a four hour drive- hard on a long weekend. But trains are slow, and intra -country flights are expensive. Advice? We'd want some "culture" but also some beaches- not super touristy. Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 03:16 AM

Well, for only a weekend I'd stay in Lisabon and region (if you really want beach). You can stay a hole day in Belém, visiting Mosteiro dos Jerônimos, Torre de Belém, Padrão dos Descobrimentos, Maritime Museum and Coach Museum. If art is your piece of cake, Nacional Old Art Museum and Nationa Tiles Museum are the places. The Cathedral (S&eacute and the Saint George Castle worth a visit too.
In Lisbon region, Sintra is a nice village, with a incredible palace (Palácio Nacional da Pena). To beaches, you can go to Cascais and Estoril, in the Summer they will always be crowded, but nothing like the Algarve...
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:25 AM

I agree that with 3 days you could easily spend them all in Lisbon. However an alternative would be to stay in Sintra, and see that lovely small town, as well as making one day trip or more into Lisbon, which is about a half hour drive by car. You could also go to Cascais for a day from the Sintra area, under half an hour drive.

If this were my long weekend, I would stay at the Penha Longa Resort just outside Sintra. It is operated by Ritz-Carlton. It is in the middle of a national park area and also has lovely grounds and pool, as well as walking trails and a golf course, so you can relax a bit when you are not sightseeing. Take a look at Ritz-Carlton.com.

As mentioned above, you could also stay in the Cascais beach area and do a day trip to Lisbon, if I am correct it would be about an hour by car. I don't know any particular hotels in Cascais to recommend.

If your trip is this month, I am afraid you will find everything pretty crowded, esp. the beaches. September would be a better month, esp. after the first week in September.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM

I'd stay in Lisbon only
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM

You can certainly use Lisbon as a base and easily get to Sintra, Estoril and Cascais by public transit or rental car. Those three areas are reasonably close to Lisbon and make for easy trips or even as your base of operation.

I might suggest, as someone else did, to use Central Lisbon, given the amount time you have. Certainly the sights in Lisbon will be a full day.

In terms of driving, finding road signs can be a bit of an adventure. But, there is a new modern highway that runs towards Sintra, Estoril and Cascais and getting to those locations should be no more than an hour. For the scenic route, you can always take the coastal road.
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I think we'll do a day or two in Lisbon, and the rest in the Sintra area.