Reload this Page >

Long weekend in Madrid

Search

Long weekend in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:47 PM
jparis

Long weekend in Madrid

Has anyone ever spent a "long weekend" in Madrid? I am thinking of leaving (from NYC) on a Thursday night and coming home on following Monday. Is this enough time? I usually am lucky enough to do long weekends to Paris, and I thought it might work out for Madrid. Does anyone have a hotel they can recommend that is near the shopping district? Thanks a lot.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:22 PM
lincasanova

check out solmelia.com for new price war on hotels around spain.<BR>also, you will have a wonderful in madrid on weekend.<BR>enjoy it.<BR>try to get to el escorial, but not on sunday, to avoid the return traffic to city.<BR>the city tour bus is great, very pretty at night also .<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Cam

My husband and I spent the same number of days as you plan to on a "long weekend" to Madrid a few years ago. We had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Villa Real, which is near the top two hotels, not only in location but quality. However, the VR is a much better value. Our room was split-level and had a balcony overlooking a small plaza. We went to a different art museum each day, toured the royal palace, went to the Plaza Mayor and Plaza del Sol, and stayed out extremely late every night. We would start every evening by hitting the tapas bars around the Plaza del Sol and then have dinner very late. Madrid starts to get going around 10:00 every night. The streets were so alive, we couldn't stand to go back to the hotel, so we'd stay out till midnight or 1:00, just walking around. Hope you have a great trip!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:33 PM
jparis

Thanks for the positive reinforcement. Villa Real looks like a good choice, since I was looking at the Westin and this seems more than fine. <BR>Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations or is it best just to wander around?? thanks a lot

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:50 PM
AM

I too love Hotel Villa Real and you can e-mail direct for as good as any price elsewhere. For tapas, the Plaza Santa Anna is 2 blocks behind it, and do have a drink or at least walk into the bar lobby of the Plaza, which is right in front of your hotel.<BR>My favorite restaurant was Casa Benigna 4 years ago. Was closed for holidays when we were there last Xmas, hope to try it in Nov. Read about it in NY Times, and I think there's web site, do search. Owner is super friendly, ends up playing guitar and singing once everyone is fed. Cab ride away to a modest neighborhood, ring doorbell to enter.In my notes I state that my starter was a platter of grilled vegetables that cannot be described adequately. We each had 3 courses and wine and total bill then was $100.<BR>Another expensive place that is quite something is Olivo.<BR>Lunches are a real bargain. Government requires a fixed priced lunch to be posted. At the Parrilla Argentina we had 3 courses with beer for $10 per person. It was near the Museo Lazaro Galdeano. My notes say I had seafood salad, thin potatoes with diced garlic, grilled chicken and dessert.<BR>El Pescador had lots of character and a busy atmosphere. Beautiful grilled sole, mixed appetizer of mussels, lobster, shirmip, etc in vinagrette. $81 for 2 with wine. Prices are 5 years old, but gives you an idea.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 09:53 AM

ttt

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:04 AM
F

There is a beautiful, moving monument to the victims of Communism and the Republican government, the Valley of the Fallen that is also the buriel site of the General Franco. Don't miss it, and don't forget.