Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long term stay with a 9 mo child - where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We've decided to spend two months abroad with our then 9 mo daughter in april - june next year, but we can't decide where to go! Do you have any tips or favourite places that you think we should check out?

We're considering Spain and Italy, somewhere calm but in reasonable driving distance to a larger city. Not in the super touristy areas, as they're too price and just no fun. We wanna hang with the locals and practice our language skills.
I'm hoping we can rent a house with a garden, as we need to bring our dog. Close to the ocean, as we're avid divers, but up to an hour or two drive away is fine.

Have you visited any towns that you think might tick some of our boxes? I'd love to hear about it!
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 01:50 AM

There are many small towns on the coast just north of Pisa where you could easily find a moderately priced vacation rental with a garden in May (best to avoid April for weather reasons). The Marina di Pietrasanta would be a good place to look, and also Viareggio, and other towns tucked away in that general area. From there there are lots of diving opportuties, including around le Cinque Terre & areas closer to Livorno.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 01:52 AM

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/lettings/...rasanta/r21779
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 03:21 AM

I would agree with maasimop as to the same area. Marina di Pietrasanta and also Forte dei Marmi. Both are quiet until the schools break up which is usually about the 10th of June or thereabouts.

The coastal area is very flat so bicyling is very easy and popular. Any bike hire firm will offer the possibility of special seats for young tots.

Viareggio is busier in the period you refer to and would perhaps be preferable for a slightly older child.

I am sure that you will be able to get some very good deals for both Marina di Pietrasanta and Forte dei Marmi for the period mentioned.

For diving Porto Venere and Cinque Terre is very close to the north and to the south there are also many opportunities including the islands off the coast - Elba, Pianosa, Giglio, Montecristo and Giannutri. All can be reached by local ferries except for Montecristo which is a nature reserve. It has recently opened up to very limited tourism so you may be able to gain access through a diving company with an introduction from yours. Montecristo is, of course, famous for The Count of Montecristo of Alexandre Dumas.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 03:28 AM

Can't help you with Spain, but ...

The "undiscovered" towns in Italy are on the east coast. I'm thinking of coastal towns like Vieste (near the Achilles tendon of the boot) or a larger city nearer the heel. If you go inland a bit, you'll find some bargains as far as rentals go.

The disadvantages: English is less prevalent in those areas so you may have to deal with the language issue if you don't speak Italian. You're more distant from the typical tourist areas, if you have an interest in visiting them -- distant, but not impossibly far away.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:07 AM

Your daughter is a newborn now?
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:15 AM

our then 9 mo daughter in april - pretty clear I think
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:24 AM

Small Nerja (pop 20 000), by the coast just east of Málaga city, would probably tick all your boxes. http://www.nerjatoday.com/

Nerja has got all the amenities that makes it popular with tourists, but it has retained much of its sleepy small town Andalucian charm. Especially a wonderful Old town with lots of local atmsophere tapas bars and restaurants. And April to June would be a perfect time of year to go, lots of spring festivals in the area in May, and you'll leave before it gets jam packed in the summer months. Photo of Nerja with the Almijara mountains in the back: https://www.flickr.com/photos/trondjs/3735908317/

Nine small and large beaches among the cliffs in Nerja, and the Maro beach, ten minutes driving from Nerja, was voted #2 beach in all of Spain a couple of years ago: https://www.spain-holiday.com/Maro/a...-de-maro-nerja

No problem to rent a house with a garden just outside the very heart of town.
https://rentinnerja.com/
https://www.spain-holiday.com/Nerja/holiday-rentals
https://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/renta...erja-area/r551

And only 30-40 mins drive to wonderful Málaga city, Andalucías "city of culture with its so-called 'mile of art' being compared to Madrid, and its dynamism and fine dining to Barcelona." https://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/andalucia/malaga

Plenty of festivals in the area, especially in May: http://www.andalucia.com/festival/monthlyguide-may.htm
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 04:53 AM

You will need to ensure the rental will accept dogs. Many do not. Make sure your dog is protected against not only rabies and the usual jabs (needed to enter Europe), but also against sandflies and ticks, which carry nasty diseases (Leishmaniasis amongst others) in southern Europe, and also against lepto. Normal tick and flea prevention drops do not protect against sandflies. Something like an Excalibur collar does.
Make sure you get your dog's paperwork sorted well in advance.

A good idea to protect yourself and your baby against sandflies too!
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 08:21 AM

For the link that I gave you can filter the search for rentals that take dogs.

I was just with 9-month old in Italy & the baby had everything it needed. One thing we did do is, rather than ship a crib, we bought a "pack-n-play" from Amazon Italia for about 50e & had it delivered. It's possible to use your American credit card (or Amazon acct) to do this. It got left behind in Italy but it was still simpler &y cheaper to buy it.

If you go to Italy you will not need to worry about your dog getting rabies, but you will need to prove the dog is up to date on shots. All Italian pet stores sell Frontline as protection against ticks, etc.

A big beach blanket will keep sandflies off you but you will definitely need mosquito protection along any flat coastal area. Try to rent a flat with screens or, failing that, bring or buy a mosquito net, (easily done in Italy).

For me another disadvantage of much of southern Italy's coast is not having easy access to big cities with the whole array of medical care & hospital services. The northwestern Tuscan coast has Pisa & Florence right at hand. For the eastern coast, I would rest easier being closer to Bologna than Bari.

Oh -- and if anyone suggests buying a harness to put your baby on a leash, I just today saw a mother trip over a harness leash & knock over her learning to walk baby. Luckily they were not near stairs, a canal or traffic.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 08:44 AM

OTOH, the baby did not fall into a canal, down the stairs or run into traffic. I have seen one child fall into a canal in the States and have seen enough little ones run into traffic and fall down stairs that I would take a chance with the leash. The Mom has to be careful so the baby does not have to be careful.
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 01:06 PM

I spend 6 weeks in France with an eigth-month-old during May-June of my year-long maternity leave, and I had such a wonderful time that I spent four weeks during my next maternity leave with the second child (7 months old) and the first one (4 and a half). Of course the language I happened to be practicing was French; are you specifically trying to practice Spanish or Italian?

The first time we rented an apartment in the old town of Tourrettes Sur Loup, which was absolutely fabulous for day trips to St Paul de Vence, Cannes, Gourdon, Eze, Grasse, etc. Various people came to visit and we traveled everywhere by day. We had one overnight at St Tropez, which was memorable for my son learning to crawl that night. The view from the balcony of the apartment in our ancient hill town was down to the distant sea and fabulous. We found it easier to dine out at lunch than at dinner, especially in outdoor settings. We simply plunked our baby on the ground with a few toys and he was quite happy, and usually had the company of a few interesting dogs under other tables. And we did have a restaurant directly across the street from our apartment where we discovered that the baby monitor worked flawlessly. We would go over for a quick meal at night after our son was asleep, and the waiter would ask us with the delivery of each dish, "The baby is still sleeping?" (In French of course.) No one had any hangups about that.

The second time we ventured father afield into Provence and rented an old farmhouse (a gentleman's farm raising sunflowers and lavender) in L'Isle Sur La Sorgue for 4 weeks in May, and again took marvelous field trips to Aix, Marseilles, Roussillon, Gordes, Avignon, etc. I hired a babysitter a couple of night via the folks at the cafe in town that we frequented, but mostly we and whatever visitors gathered food during our daytime adventures, and ate it at night. Every town seemed to have chickens roasting on the corner, and I began to realize that French families do a lot of gathering rather than cooking.

Everyone in France seemed to love and welcome babies. In one museum a security guard simply took my son out of my arms and carried him around while I admired the paintings. I agree with the advice of some other Fodorites that it may be easier to just buy the equipment you need in Europe and donate it at the end -- such as pack and plays or even a car seat. We brought a "high chair" that you hook onto a table; it folded up. We also had one of those backpack things that you put the baby in to hike around (I might buy that in America).

My baby time was 20 years ago, so I am sure that Europeans are taking much more advantage of baby conveniences than they were then. I bought some terribly stylish and inexpensive baby clothes at the giant Carrefour stores, great fun. (We also spent several weeks renting a house in Schruns, Austria when my son was 2, but the Austrians were not nearly as good about takeout food as the French. France was much easier!) Have a wonderful time! You will create some unbelievable memories.
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your answers! This really was more than I expected, I really appreciate it.

We live in northern europe right now, so most likely the dad will drive south with the dog and most of what we need. We've got a pretty big standard poodle, which I think unfortunately rules out exploring by train, so having our car is a must.
My daughter is two months this week, so she'll be 10 - 12 months when we go (not 9, sorry. ). I guess she'll be learning to walk while we're there, but luckily I think we can dispense with the harness - no practicing in the streets. We're big on babywearing, hopefully she'll still let me carry her SOME even when she'd rather run around on her own.

I do speak some italian, as I lived in Turin years ago, so I'm leaning towards Italy. My husband on the other hand is more interrested in Spain, so we decided to focus on finding the right town, instead of the right country. I don't think we can go wrong either way.

Now I'm gonna have fun checking out all your suggestions!