Reload this Page >

Long Distance Telephone from Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Stephanie

We will be in Italy in March. I need an inexpensive long distance service back to USA. Last time, I used a service which I've always used from the UK, but was very expensive from Italy. Any help would be appreciated!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Rex

If you mean for ordinary (voice) telephone conversation, I strongly recommend buying a cell phone there. Lowest telephone costs I've ever had my most recent trip by doing so.<BR><BR>See this recent thread:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1323447<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Sherry

Hi Stephanie. I have used the pre-paid card that you can buy in Italy to call the US. But I must tell you that it is confusing to me to figure out just what a per minute charge is. I can also pay for a service for international calling on my long distance carrier here and I get a pretty good rate per minute. I used that in Italy last year. I did read and post a little note about a service from the UK. www.card4anywhere.com. Look at the site and maybe this may help you. The aritcle I read said a 30 min call from Italy to the US would cost about $3.00. I cannot say if this service is good or not, but maybe it will give you a starting point. Good luck.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:18 AM
nancy

If you have AT&T as your long distance, you can get a calling card and enroll in a plan that lets you call back and have everything billed to your home phone. There is a per month charge, very reasonable, and also a per call charge which I think is 85 cents. The rates from Europe are very good. All you need to do is to call a number to access AT&T in Italy and then you make your call. We used this last year in Japan and Taiwan and our son used it to call us from France. You don't need to keep the plan forever, just for the month or two that takes care of your travel. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:35 PM
chris

I'm going to Rome in February so I bought a pre paid card from MinutePass.com<BR>It cost me $15 and its .12cents a minute