long distance calling from europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:24 AM
tomo

long distance calling from europe

I'm going to scandanavia tonight--how can I call the US cheaply

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Rex

Buy a cell phone. Call back home and have them call you. See several recent threads on this.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Ann

Cheapest thing to do is buy a prepaid phone card over there.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Tom

Very often you can't use a pre-paid phone card from your room in many hotels. Another reason to have a cell phone.<BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:08 AM
EP

I don´t believe any hotel has phones which take pre paid phone card. After all, before cell phone time they used to charge preposterous sums for calling out of your room. And that was the same worldwide, and still goes on. So no matter what, don´t call from your room.<BR><BR>I believe the most economical way is to phone from a phonebooth with a pre paid card. The only trouble with that is the fact that (at least in Finland) there are fewer phone booths than there used to be, because almost 100% of people have a cell phone. But at least stations, post offices and department stores still have public phones.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:23 AM
anon

The people who think you should use a public phone booth and not buy a cell phone are the same ones who think you should always use public trains instead of having a car.<BR><BR>It's just a matter of time before there is a backlash against the piggish bourgeoisie of having your own bathroom where you live. There could be public facilities one every block or two per neighborhood. Calories would be burned walking there and back. Students share bathrooms down the hall in college.<BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 07:27 AM
Frank

Anon, have you been drinking?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:34 AM
Arnaldo

Reminder: Probably prepaid telephone cards are best, no doubt, but choose wisely. The cards sold at airports and places like that are much more expensive (they give you less minutes for your money). Some cards are excellent and cheap.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:59 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Diane

Why buy the long distance card over there and not in U.S.???? Doesn't it work that way? Please reply...am leaving for Norway,Sweden, and Denmark very soon.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Joan

Don't you need to make quite a few calls with the cell phone to make it worth the money? I am spending fall semester in Europe (semester abroad program) and plan calling home 5-8 times; wouldn't a calling card be more economical for me?

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:57 AM
calling

You can use the prepaid calling cards from hotel rooms but wait til you get the bill,they will chargeyou outrageous amounts for calling the number to connect! Most hotels now have a couple of phones at the front desk for guest use,just not that private but practical.Most of the public phones,especially in Paris and Rome are disgusting.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Nan

I think I should buy a card in the US and use it calling from Europe, anyone think this is not a good idea?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:00 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:14 PM
j

We bought a calling card here and used it at phone booths in London, Paris & Rome. Underlined the country's toll free number, pin number and country code & also enlarged the instructions on a copier to make it more convenient to use in a phone booth. It took a little figuring out in each country, but worked very well. Check to see who has the most reasonable rates. The only trouble we had was when we tried to check messages from our answering machine at home. The code numbers we punched would end the call.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Bill

We planning to spend 10 days in Spain in October. I purchased prepaid ATT cards from Sam's Club (cheeep!)and ATT verified they offer a access number from Spain..The surcharge is 6 units per minute versus the regular USA rate of 1 unit per month.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:09 AM
xxx

i use a global calling card from att<BR>when i travel to italy. the charges<BR>are placed on a credit card. i took <BR>a prepaid calling card last year and<BR>had problems with it. the global calling cards i'm sure are available through most tele. co. and the cost<BR>for me in july, 2002 to italy to usa was approx. .95 per minute (usd).