London, york and ??? With tweens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying in and out of Gatwick in April. The kiddos are 10 and 14. I want to spend 4 nights in London and 2 nights in York. That leaves 3 nights for somewhere else and I'm trying to figure out where. I was thinking Oxford area, Cotswolds....any advice from experiences with your kids/ grandkids? What did they like best (besides London and York)? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 05:54 AM

Harry Potter World?
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 06:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like your first post on Fodor's; welcome!

Are you relying on trains or would you be willing to rent a car for a day or two?

If it was me I'd probably stick to the east coast and after York consider doing a tour of the northeast that includes Durham, Hadrian's wall, and possibly the Northumberland coast - Alnwick (particularly if the kids are Harry Potter fans) and Bamburgh (fab castle) and maybe the Holy Island of Lindisfarne. You could pick up the car in York and drop it back in Newcastle or Durham, or even Edinburgh, like this - https://goo.gl/maps/S1WryRvcE6z
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

We can rent a cat. Thanks gardyloo! I was thinking about this and couldn't decide if we should home base in York and do these as day trips or spend the night somewhere on the coast possibly?
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Could go by train - York then Edinburgh which has lots for kids to like and fly home from there - check www.nationalrail.co.uk for cheap fares - www.seat61.com has adroit advice on booking your own discounted tickets; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 08:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
First question -- is this your/the kid's first time in London? If so 4 nights is very short. Especially since the first day or so some or all of you could be jet lagged.

With 9 nights I'd maybe suggest 6 (5 minimum) in London and 3 in York. Use York as a base with a car for a couple of days to see the Dales/Moors and/or Durham and/o the coast. Do Oxford as a day trip from London by train.

Since you are flying in to LGW, you can take the train from the airport to Kings Cross/St Pancras and then a fast train to York. Get over the jet lag car-less in York Explore the city on day 2, then on day 3 collect a car to explore the area. Drop the car Back in York (or in Newcastle if you go as far a Hadrian's Wall). Then take the train down to London for the last 5 or 6 nights so you will be there to catch the flight home.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Since you are flying in to LGW, you can take the train from the airport to Kings Cross/St Pancras and then a fast train to York.>

If getting discounted ticket at www.nationalrail.co.uk they are train-specific and non-changeable non-refundable I believe so if doing so with flight leave plenty of extra time between train and plane in case plane is late, long lines at Immigration, etc. But you can save a ton - check out platform 9 1/2 (?) at Kings Cross if kids into Harry Potter. Just buy Gatwick to Kings Cross ticket at Gatwick Airport -buy a return ticket if going to London as you can then use it to get 2 for 1 at many paying attractions in London.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 11:30 AM

>>9 1/2<< That would be 9 3/4 (and there is virtually always a queue).
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 12:22 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=plat...w=1920&bih=949
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 01:37 PM

With 9 nights, you really could just stay in London with a couple day trips, like to Oxford and somewhere else.

Travel takes twice as long as you think (traffic, packing, parking, public transport details, etc., etc.). I do get the desire to see more though.

When I was in London in June with students, the line to take photos at Platform 9 3/4 was over an hour; they contented themselves with shopping right next door and snapping the pix that could be taken without standing in the queue. It's worth a look,though, so definitely go, just either plan to take possibly a LLLOONNNGG time or prepare them to maybe not stand in line if it's long but still see the platform and take what pics you can.

I went to Alnwick by myself on a daytrip from Edinburgh; it was absolutely wonderful and would have been even more so if I'd had kids! But it will take a chunk of time to get there from wherever.

janisj's suggestion has merit. Or maybe 4 nights in York, 5 in London. That might give you time for Alnwick from there.

My students (older than your kids, but still kids) loved Hadrian's Wall, so if you are willing to drive, that's worth a day.

I'm not doing the maths or mapping, so don't know what you can actually fit in. Just remember to allow LOTS of time for travel; in the UK, we have found doubling the travel time by car suggested by mapping apps leaves some margin for error. And there's the time for getting car, parking car, returning car, etc. If using public transport, remember to allow all that extra time for getting to and from stations, any ticket-getting and security to get through, etc., etc.

Whatever you do, it will be great and leave you repining for all the stuff you didn't get to! Just be realistic in the planning about jet-lag, walking fatigue, and all the travel logistics.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 10:57 PM

What are the kids expectations of the holiday - it is important to involve them in the discussions. There is no point in suggesting Harry Potter stuff if that would leave them yawning. Ditto castles if they hate the thought of history and 'boring old castles...'
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 01:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Public transport security, only really an issue if you are taking a train to Paris. But access to some museums (normally free) will include a security check.

York is a great base, if you decide to hire a car for this leg you'll need a hotel with parking, which is a bit constrained if you decide to stay in the old centre (i would) just include "parking" in your various searches.

Driving around York. York (new city) is held within a ring road, the version to the north can be very slow to move while that to the south is always free moving.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 05:53 AM

In York itself great thing for adults and kids is the National Railway Museum right near the neat old curved York train station - great especially for your kids - royal trains - old steam locos and lots of hands-on stuff:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/

And it's free (last I knew)
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 06:32 AM

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...mment-10160003
**We can rent a cat.**
I hope it is a Jaguar XF Sportbrake.��
Gender and likes/dislikes of the children have not been disclosed.
Near to York:
National Coal Mining Museum; Free entry. https://www.ncm.org.uk/
Eden Camp http://www.edencamp.co.uk/
Stump Cross Caverns http://www.stumpcrosscaverns.co.uk/
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj and palenq. My only concern is buying the train ticket to York. If our flight is delayed any we could miss our train. Any ideas how long it will take us to get thru customs, baggage at Gatwick? We're coming from the US. Our flight arrives at noon.
My kids and hubby first time to England. I was in London 20 years ago. We've traveled internationally before. I like the idea of hitting London at the end of our trip when we're at full stride
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Cat! oops my bad. Thanks for the link riberascara! My tastes and the kids are actually pretty similar. We like museums , history, food and bring outside. We are also very active. At home we're're actually more country mice than city. Although we all LOVE european cities. I'm liking the 4 nights in York (and surrounding area)and 5 in London. Maybe from Gatwick we can train to Cambridge (cheaper ticket if our flight odd delayed) spend one night and then continue on to York via train.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for putting up with my typos! I'm doing this from my phone in a car. Don't worry - I'm not driving!
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:34 AM

with a noon arrival (I was assuming early AM since the majority of flights from NA arrive earlier) I might re-think going straight to York. By the time you get through immigration and travel in to London and catch the train to York it will be most likely late afternoon. And early evening by the time you get to York.

Here is a crazy idea: Fly from LGW to EDI - it is less than a 90 minute flight. Stay two nights in Edinburgh, pick up a car and drive down to York via Hadrian's Wall. This will be approx 5 hours drive time so basically all day with stops Hadrian's Wall and/or Durham. Stay two nights in York (You can turn in the car after arriving in York). Train to London - stay 5 nights. fly home.

I'd book the flight for approx 3 hours after your arrival.
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:38 AM

great idea from Janis!
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 07:47 AM

If you don't go with Janisj's not so crazy idea (I've done that itinerary) I like the idea to split your time between York and London and planning some day trips. Look for a copy of Shadows on the Wall by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor for the kids to read before you arrive in York. It's a compelling teen novel that brings out York's history.

With four of you a car service from Gatwick might not be out of line. The driver will wait for you if you are delayed and door to door service should take about the same time as two trains and a taxi at the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -