London / West Ealing / Northfields line

Jul 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

London / West Ealing / Northfields line

Hello all! I've just been searching for information on London districts/neighborhoods to see what I can find on West Ealing / Northfields tube area. Either it isn't discussed much or I'm an idiot with the search feature - which is very possible!

Anyone know any reason not to stay in this area? We can get a pretty good rate on a rental for a week. I see it's about half an hour from the central parts of London via tube, which we can handle, for the £ we'd be saving.

Thanks!
Jul 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Few people choose to stay there and there's few places to stay, thus the lack of information. Most people staying there would be doing so to catch a flight at LHR. Main problem is that it's zone 3 so travel costs are higher
Jul 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan! It certainly is convenient to LHR.
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't stay they if it was free (well maybe if it was free). Yes it is on the tube - but unless you are saving £300 or more for the week you'd be better off in central London. You'd be 30-45 minutes form any of the major sites, would not be able to pop back into the flat in the middle of the day if needed (to drop off shopping, take a rest, change into dry shoes/clothes if you get stuck in the rain, or to change for a nice meal out). Plus there is nothing nearby so you'd have no possibilities for a "down day" where you just stick close to home and explore the neighborhood. Nope - I wouldn't . . . .

What sort of rental rate are you getting?
Jul 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM

If it were offered as a home exchange and you wanted to live as locals do, complete with commute, that would be one thing; but as a tourist rental for a short stay, it could be an expensive mistake.
Jul 5th, 2009, 12:18 PM

Are you sure it's only another 30 mins?

You've got to get to the tube station - which can be often 20 min's or so WALK away. There really is absolutely nothing in the area: loads of semi-detached houses with very occasional small shopping parades. But most people drive to the nearest big Tesco (and try getting a week's shopping back from there without a car)

None of the ethnic excitement of, say, Southall. True, you'll be seeing how Britons live - or rather, would live if they didn't have a car and lived out there. Only few are that ill-advised.

There are lots of residential areas in London (like Fulham, Islington or Clapham) that are a bit out of the centre but are packed with eating places, a few local theatre groups and loads of reasonable boozers.

Northfields isn't one of them. It's where home improvement superstores drop leaflets through doors. Building a new conservatory is about as exciting as life gets round there.

PS: "Convenient to Heathrow" usually means "close to intolerable at 4.30 in the morning if the first BA or Cathay arrives from Hong Kong early and it's not your lucky day for which way they're going to land"
Jul 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Northfields and West Ealing are residential areas, mainly Victorian/Edwardian houses. West Ealing has a high street which has seen better days and is not the area it used to be, Northfields is a better area, it has a good Chinese restaurant Maxim which has been there for 20+years plus several Indian,Sri Lankan (Papaya) Spanish (Tapas bar), several pubs inc a very good gastro pub in the area called Ealing Park Tavern. You can take a short bus ride to Ealing Broadway which has alot of restaurants (inc the usual chains), pubs, nightclubs etc. There is a Safeway and M&S for food. Westfield Shopping Centre is 15mins on the tube from Ealing Broadway.

Northfields is not a terrible idea but it depends on what the rental is like, the exact location/how close to the tube and whether there will be any real saving. Alot of people I know who want to be nearer to the centre but still not too far from Heathrow stay around Gloucester Road area.

Here is a link to information on the area:

http://www.ealing.gov.uk/services/leisure/
Jul 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM

What's your budget or how much are you looking to save?

I can't you help with Northfields/West Ealing (the experts have already chimed in anyways) but...

If you want an inexpensive apartment and are willing to stay outside the centre/tourist areas, I can recommend a truly gorgeous flat where I stayed for a week last year. It's at Archway tube station on the Northern line in zone 2 and it takes about 15 minutes by tube to get to Leicester Square. Zone 2 is covered in the basic tfl fare so there are no extra travel charges.

One major caveat- the flat has almost 100 stairs and no elevator.

http://www.vrbo.com/52647
Jul 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM

You may think you will save money because the rental costs are cheaper but you will be paying more in transport - tube or bus - and it all adds up. You can check individual ticket costs here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...09/farefinder/

We live fairly close to this area and would not choose to stay in it as tourists. Too far away from anything of interest.

Kay
Jul 8th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Hello! Thanks for the replies! We actually are saving several hundred pounds with this rental - the next cheapest is £200 more, and that one doesn't really suit our needs. Many rentals are at least £300 to £500 more. I checked out the tube time and it looks like a 30 minute "commute" to the center. (Well, the first time I looked, I just set the "time I need to go" as "now" and it put me on buses and trains and what not and took more than an hour - I was quite confused until I saw the status "person on tracks" or something - I am hoping and assuming that was an unusual situation!)

So, what I'm hearing you all say is that you would not stay there, but more due to inconvenience than to "danger." Is that right? I know, it's not convenient, but we are on very limited budgets and saving a few hundred pounds is pretty important to us. I also checked out the transportation costs, and it looks like with a zone 3 week-long pass we'll do okay.

I know it's not ideal by any means. I would definitely prefer to have a base closer to the center - I know we'll be wishing we could just pop by our flat in the middle of the day - but we don't plan to be in London proper every day.

Okay, you all have given me some good information and food for thought - thank you very much! Just based on cost I think we'll go with it, but I'll mention these concerns to my fellow travelers to make sure we all understand what we're up against. Thanks!
Jul 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM

You told us how much MORE the central properties cost -- but not what the rates are. Maybe if we knew your budget we could recommend places in 100000% better locations.
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM

It's just a residential area that's all and alot of people live in this area to be able to get to LHR easily and also be within easy reach of central London. Northfields is better than West Ealing IMO but depends on which street.

"Plus there is nothing nearby so you'd have no possibilities for a "down day" where you just stick close to home and explore the neighborhood." I wonder what is meant by nothing nearby, is that nothing as in no shops/parks/restaurants/pubs/banks/public transport or is it nothing in terms of tourist attractions?
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM

To Suspire - it would be worth checking the walking distance between the flat and the tube station. There are also lots of buses in this area for local trips but none that I know of that go all the way to central London.

There is reasonable shopping in Ealing Broadway, about 15 mins walk from Northfields - Marks and Spencer, Primark, Tesco, Starbucks, lots of smaller shops and quite a lot of restaurants, etc.

If you are staying in this area, it's easy to get the bus to Kingston upon Thames, which we really like. The centre of town is pedestrianised, there are lots and lots of shops and places to eat, and it's right on the Thames. There are some lovely old buildings near where they hold the fruit and veg market (near the tourist office).

You are also on the right side of London to get to Windsor Castle easily. You can catch the train from Ealing Broadway, with one quick change. It takes about 35 mins total and is really worthwhile if you have the time. The town of Windsor is nice too.

Hope you have a great trip.
Kay
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - following up on this. It was indeed a good ways out of town! But it was necessary for our budgets, so it was fine. We managed to do everything we wanted; just had to plan well so we had with us everything we'd need for the day. And the place we stayed was only about a three-mile walk to Kew Gardens, as it turned out, so I took that opportunity and had a great adventure. I must say - the Kew Gardens, especially on a bright sunny day like I had - are gorgeous! I am sure a lot of people miss them by not venturing farther out, so I'm going to give them a big thumbs up recommendation for the gardens! They're very easily reached by the Tube, though if there are any Tube troubles you could end up sort of stuck out there.

Anyway, once again, thanks for all the thoughts. It was fun for us to be out in a neighborhood of London - gave us a completely different flavor than the time I stayed downtown. One afternoon I went out to a local (to our apartment) park, where all the parents went to play with their wee kids in the wee kid area. Shortly after I got there, school got out and the park was inundated with young teenagers performing their young teenage flirting rituals. I sat there with a smile on my face the whole time. Fun to just witness a daily slice of life.

I appreciate all the help! Thank you!
Oct 31st, 2009, 08:09 AM
yk

suspire, thanks for reporting back, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!
Oct 31st, 2009, 10:29 AM

Glad it worked. It just goes to show, it's all a matter of horses for courses.