London w/ Kids Help w/ Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have 6 days so many things we want to do and stuff for kids (age 3 and 5 (both boys), help! things to do: covent garden, hamleys toy store,kensington gardens park ,harrods food hall, tower of london imperial war museum, v&A, tate modern notting hill market, thames cruise, HMS Belfast london dungeon, london zoo. tower of london british museum, natural history museum science museum, day trip to oxford and/or windsor WHich can we skip for another trip, which are the best, would like to do one day trip for the train experience which is best, THANKS!
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Whoa! That is a lot to squeeze in - especially w/ little kids in tow.

I'd skip the Dungeon for sure - not really appropriate for tiny kids and not really worth it for adults.

Whenn are you going? Weather and hours of daylight can make a big difference re what is doable.

About Portobello Rd (I assume that is what you meant by Notting Hill market) - that is a tough one w/ little ones. You really need to gett there <b>very</b> early to avoid the massive crowds. And if you go later (like 10 a.m.) it will be slammed and the kids will be jostled and overwhelmed and you really won't be able to see much.

The Natural Hist musem should definitely be a &quot;must&quot; especially if the kids are into dinosaurs. The Science Musem also has lots of hands-on exhibits.

If there is a decent zoo near your own home you really could skip London's - especially if the weather is nasty.

Hamley's is great - but since you will be in Harrod's anyway I'd go to their toy department instead. That would save you a trip to Hamley's.

You may not have time for one day trip let alone 2. If choosing between Oxford and Windsor I'd choose Windsor for children. But Hampton Court Palace might be even better.

Be sure to go to the Princes Diana playground in Kensington Gardens.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:34 PM

Some things I really can't imagine 3 and 5 yos would be interested in:

- Covent Garden
- Dubious about Hamley's (it's a poor relation to FAO Schwarz, or however you spell it)
- Harrods. It's just a shop
- V+A. Strictly for the grownups. The other major museums (yes, even the National Gallery) are far more child friendly, unless the 5 yo is a clothes addict aleady
- Tate Modern.
- Notting Hill market, for the reasons janisj's explained
- London Dingeon. Horrible
- the zoo, if you've got one at or near home
- Oxford, unless they're Harry Potter fans.

I'm not sure what the &quot;train experience&quot; means. Maybe I use the things too much, but the Thames Trains turbo to Windsor, changing at Slough, really is neither glamorous nor nostalgic. You might investigate Didcot Railway Centre (45 mins from London on the Oxford line) where, if you get the timing right, there are live steam trains doing a pretty good Thomas the Tank Engine imitation
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:47 PM

Hi your kids are about the same age as mine.

Janis as usual gave excellent insights. She is also right that it would be more helpful if you can let us know when you're planning the trip. If I may add my bits:

Museum--I would put British Museum on top of the list. They have good activities for children. Science Museum for hands-on activities. The boys may enjoy Transport Museum (should reopen late Nov). Smaller, less crowded places are Geffrye Museum (rooms from different ages, nice courtyard) and Children's Museum both close to the City.

Parks: Princess Di playgrond. I'd definitely include Regent's Park (bring stale bread for ducks/swans), esp if you're coming in warmer months. Don't miss Rose garden during May-Aug.

Other attractions: I'd put brass-rubbing at St. Martin's in the Fields on the top (they should have reopened). Tower of London (go first thing in the morning) if the kids like knights, kings and queens. London Eye if the weather is nice (assuming that the younger one is not afraid of height, and won't mind aerial view for 30min). If you want to do a day-trip, Hampton Court Palace is a good choice, easily accesible by train. Especially on weekends when they have many activities for the children (arts' n craft, tudor kitchen tour, costumed guides, music demonstrations etc).
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:51 PM

I do sort of understand the &quot;train experience&quot; bit. The vast majority of Americans (unless they live on the NY/DC corridor) have never been on a train of any kind.

But if you just want to be on a train and see a train station, any of the day trips - Hampton Court Palace, Windsor or Oxford would involve a 1/2 to 1 hour train ride. I'd personally pick HCP and there would be the bonus of being able to take a boat back into central London if the weather cooperates.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:55 PM

Was posting the same time as W9. I had completely forgotten about the Transport Museum - it has been closed for so long. That would be near the top of my list for 2 little boys. Unless they have completely mucked it up during the refurbishment

And that would take care of seeing Covent Garden for teh adults.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM

Harrod's--very little appeal to the kids usually, BUT worth checking out Santa's Grotto if you're here between early Nov and Christmas.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:00 PM

Harrods' toy department is great plus your children would probably really enjoy Mo's Diner or Planet Harrods there. Very child-friendly.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:23 PM
MaureenB

If you have time, I highly recommend you request the free tickets to see the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London.

It's an actual ceremony that has been performed for ages, a ritual locking of the Tower gates. It involves Tower warders (correct name?) all dressed in uniforms, and marching, etc. A spokesperson explains it all to you.

It's cool, and somewhat creepy, to be at the Tower as the sun goes down. Your boys are probably old enough to enjoy it.

You go to the Tower website and find instructions for requesting tickets. You need to send a reply envelope with the correct international postage on it, so read the directions carefully.
&gt;-

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:32 PM

No, the Ceremony of the Keys would not be an appropriate attraction for children that age. It starts from 9:30pm--well past bed time for most toddlers.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:43 PM

I agree - the Keys ceremony is wonderful. But definitely no place for a 3 yo..
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM
MaureenB

I disagree about it not being appropriate for a 3 year old. Unless you try to keep the kids on your home bedtime schedule while on vacation. I wasn't ever able to do that on vacation. The ceremony may not start as late as 9:30, because it starts at sunset, so depending on the time of year.
&gt;-

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM

I didn't mean because of the time of day. I meant because the visitors must stand still and not make any sounds - at all - once the ceremony begins.

3 and 5 yo's will be fidgety, curious, and probably noisy. Just not an event for small children.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM

I was in London with my then-2-year-old a couple of years ago, and I've been nodding in agreement with janisj's, flanneruk's, and W9London's very good advice.

The toy department we went to most often was in Peter Jones (Sloane Square). It was much easier to keep track of my son there (better sightlines than at Harrods, where the department covers many smaller rooms), and the staff actually encouraged cildren to try the ride-on toys. Shades of The Cat in the Hat, with lots of Thing Ones and Thing Twos roaring around, but lots of fun.

I intensely disliked Hamley's.

We spent a lot of time at Coram's Fields, but mainly because we were living in Bloomsbury. Still, if you find yourselves wanting a playground near the British Museum, it's a nice little place; they even had a sort of petting zoo with farm animals, and a few drop-in-and-play rooms with art supplies, toys, and books. There's another small playground on Drury Lane your two boys may enjoy for an interlude as well.

Regent's Park and the Peter Pan-themed playground in Kensington Gardens were our real favorites.

Do ride as many forms of transport as possible. That was a real highlight for my son, who spends all of his transit time at home in a car seat in the back of my Honda....
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:50 AM

&lt;&lt;&lt; The ceremony may not start as late as 9:30, because it starts at sunset, so depending on the time of year. &gt;&gt;&gt;

Well aside from the fact that would mean the ceremony beginning at around 4:00pm in winter,

&lt;&lt;&lt; at exactly seven minutes to 10 o'clock, the Chief Yeoman Warder of the Tower emerges from the Byward Tower wearing his long red coat and Tudor bonnet. He carries in one hand a candle lantern and in the other hand the Queens Keys...&gt;&gt;&gt;

www.trooping-the-colour.co.uk/keys/

For information on attending the ceremony see http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/...ofthekeys.aspx

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
MaureenB

I stand corrected re: Ceremony of the Keys.

I didn't notice any problems with young kids. I assume you could take a younger child back away from the crowd, if he/she gets antsy, because it's outdoors.

Oh, well, it's free and it's interesting.
&gt;-

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM

Not really - the attendees must stay right there by Traitors Gate and not wander about. The walkway to the west is where special guests arrive and those w/ tickets are not allowed up that direction.

Once (I've probably attended 10 or 12 times over the years) two kids a bit older - I'd guess maybe 7 and 9 - were quietly horsing around. Not yelling, just giggling and poking each other and the yeoman warder attempted to tease them into calming down. When that didn't work - their parents were sternly told to control the children.

There is absolutely no place one could take a cranky/crying or just fussy child away from the group.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:01 AM

My kids are 3 and 5 so hopefully I can give you some insight. But first and foremost I will say that you should make sure you do things that YOU want to do, not just things that you think will amuse your children. You can always find something to entertain them wherever you are. You can bribe them with a treat or a little toy or something if YOU want to go see somthing that is uninteresting to them. You can make them find their favorite painting and tell you why it is their favorite. You can find a small playground or park for them to let off steam.

My kids' favorite museum is the Natural History Museum. If you have a nice discovery museum in your city it will probably be better than the science museum's stuff for 3 and 5 year olds, which my kids get bored with quickly. The Science Museum for me and my kids is an example of somewhere that we would go to specifically to amuse the kids but would be disappointed because it wasn't all that great to them at their age.

My kids have been to Windsor 5 or 6 times b/c it is a 30 minute train from our house and they like it well enough, although it is NOT a site set up for small children. I like Windsor and we take people who visit us from the US there. If you are going in the winter or cold weather Windsor is good. But the town is really cute and also has a nice riverfront area with rides and stuff for the kids in the summer, you can rent little boats, lots of swans, etc. so that may be really good as well.

We belong to Hampton Court Palace and it is great for kids that age when the weather is good but the way the rooms are set up it is hard for me to see all of the inside without them getting bored. There isn't a natural progression to see it. And my kids have been to and through lots of castles, but at HCP you have to go up and down stairs, outside and re-enter at different places to see it all, and they just don't have the tolerance for that. Once they are back outside they are done with it. (But I have the luxury of coming back). There is an outdoor maze at HCP and the grounds are really nice, plus as someone commented you can take a boat back but it takes a REALLY long time to get back into the city by boat. . . Windsor has no grounds.

My kids enjoy the Tower of London but generally have a good tolerance for that type of thing. Tower of London is medeival vs. Windsor is a modern palace which continues to be used by the Queen to live in and entertain. They are very different. HCP is from King Henry VII time and while it is NOT similar to Tower of London, I would not recommend both quite honestly. All 3 would probably be too much palacing for your kids. If it were me, I would definitely do the Tower of London, because it is in the city. Then, if it is a nice time of year and you want to see a beautiful English garden go to HCP. If it is the winter or you want to see a cute English town, go to Windsor. I would skip Oxford since you only have 6 days.

My kids enjoy the performers in Covent Garden so if you want to go, they should be amused. Beware there is a Disney Store there. There is a carousel there at Christmas time usually - right in front of the Disney store.

My kids LOVE the Harrods toy section, so again, if you want to go to Harrods, I think they will find enough to be adequately amused there. I personally think Hamleys reminds me of a crowded warehouse and I enjoy shopping at an American Toys-R-Us better - I would skip Hamleys. I hear the Harrods Santa's Grotto is only taking prebooked reservations this year so get online and do it if you want to. Harrods has the BEST santa we have ever ever seen. Hands down.

The Tate Modern has some slides and I have a friend whose kid loves it but the slides either have long lines or are on a timed entry - I would skip it unless you really want to see the art.

Also make sure you get on a double decker bus. My kids LOVE to ride on the top in the front row of the double decker.

Have fun!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM

Where2: Just a quick question - if you mean the Carsten H&ouml;ller slides at the Tate, weren't they removed back in April? They were just a temporary installation.

(They were a KICK - but 3 yo's weren't allowed on in any case)
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:54 PM

&quot;There are no toilet or refreshment facilities available..&quot; YIKES, I would NOT take 3yo and 5yo there, unless I bring along empty plastic bottles or something for emergency relief, just in case. ;-)

Talking of the loos, I tend to rely on assortment of coffee shops (esp Starbucks loos are clean and convenient). Museums, restaurants, shops all have facilities. In large train stations, there are WCs where you pay small amount (usually like 20p).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -