Reload this Page >

London Underground

Search

London Underground

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 04:25 PM
RP

London Underground

What do you think of the London Underground?

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 05:33 PM
MarkJ

Love it, easy to use, gets you just about anywhere you'd want to go and the typical wait between trains is usually not more that 10 minutes. Yeah it can be crowded at times but it beats the heck out of trying to drive. <BR> <BR>MarkJ

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 06:11 PM
steve

It is a great way to get around. Don't forget to pick up your ticket after you go thru the turnstile! If you aren't going to tuse it before 9:30 AM, consider one of the passes - a great bargain for families

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 04:46 AM
pc

Fabulous! We visited for a week last year and got the 1-week tube pass here in the states - saved us a bundle! It's the only way to get around London. Check with a travel agent on the pass - I believe it can only be purchased in the US - it cost $100 for two of us!

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 05:37 AM
Debbie

Its the ONLY way to see London! I agree with getting the pass but wanted to offer another suggestion. If your trip permits-include a visit to the London Transport Museum (go to the Convent Garden underground stop). It includes 2 centuries of London transportation(tube,buses,etc.) and is a hands on type museum. It has a great exhibit about London and the underground during WW II and is NOT a stuffy museum. All ages will enjoy it-defintely worth a stop! Debbie

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Tammy

The London underground is great. I bought my 7 day pass for zones 1 & 2 in London. It was good anytime of the day and also allowed us to use the buses.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 07:41 AM
elvira

Safe and clean (for a subway) and very efficient. There are lots of different passes available (some available in the States, some when you get to London). <BR>There is a weekend pass that works great if you're going to be there from Friday to Monday; don't buy the zone 1-5 pass unless you plan to travel everyday to the further zones (the zone 1-2 pass as previously posted covers all the main sightseeing stuff).

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 08:59 AM
Estelle

YES YES YES <BR>Get a pass!!! My friend and I were on the tube for fours days getting on/off. Zone 1 & 2 were plenty to see the majority of sights in London. If you visit www.raileurope.com (is this considered advertising? I hope not...) you can get so much info and the various passes you might need! The tube in London is WAY better than our subway system in Boston!

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 04:28 AM
George Holt

For info... fares went up at the begining of January. Here's some examples so you can compare buying in the states with waiting until you arrive. Prices in UKpounds <BR> <BR>Single fare <BR>zone 1 1.50 adult/0.60 child <BR>zones 2,3,4,OR 5 0.90/0.40 <BR>zones 1+2 1.80/0.80. <BR> <BR>Carnet (book of ten single tickets valid for zone 1) 11.00/5.00 <BR> <BR>One day travelcard (valid from 0930 m-f/all day sat sun public hols) unlimited travel in zones as marked. <BR>zones 1+2 3.90/no child fare <BR>zones 1+2+3+4 4.10/no child fare <BR> <BR>Weekend Travelcard (travel all day saturday,sunday or two consecutive days during a public holiday ie easter sunday and easter monday) <BR>zones 1+2 5.80/no child fare <BR>zones 1+2+3+4 6.10/no child fare <BR> <BR>7 day travelcard <BR>zone 1 15.30/6.50 <BR>zones 1+2 18.20/7.50 <BR> <BR>monthly travelcard <BR>zone 1 58.80/25.00 <BR>zones 1+2 69.90/28.80 <BR> <BR>You need to provide a photo for a photcard to obtain adult 7 day and longer tickets, child 7 day and longer tickets or any child rate ticket if you are aged 14 or 15 (you'll probably need some proof of age as well when applying). Photos are small passport sized ones, bring one with you or get one at a booth when you arrive. <BR> <BR>Most of the major sites are in zones 1 and 2. There are six zones all told radiating in circles out from the centre of town. Zone 1 is roughly outlined by the Circle Line (yellow)but south as far as Vauxhall and Elephant and Castle. Zone 2 is roughly north as far as Archway and Hampstead, east as far as Bromley-by Bow and Canary Wharf, west as far as Acton and Turnham Green and south as far as Clapham and Herne Hill. Single or season, you will need a ticket valid for all zones you pass through so if you are based in the town centre and wish to visit a station in zone 3 you will need a ticket valid for zones 1, 2 and 3. If your local station is in zone 3 (for instance) and you need to travel through other zones to another zone 3 station you will need a ticket valid for all the zones you pass through regardless of whether you stop or not. <BR> <BR>These are just a selection of the tickets available, taken from a leaflet obtainable from underground stations. <BR> <BR>There is a web site at <BR>http://www.londontransport.co.uk/ <BR>