Reload this Page >

LONDON TUBES TO BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:31 AM
Tuber

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,2-243923,00.html<BR><BR>This article says that the tube lines may be shut down for repairs and could be off line for months/years requiring use of bus and other forms of transport....hmmmmmm

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 05:52 AM
xxx3

Don't panic. It really is possible to use buses instead of the tube for a short period.<BR><BR>As the article points out, the alternative is to do the repairs and upgrades during the night, 1 - 5 AM, when the lines are shut down anyway. But since much of this time is required for regular maintenance, etc., it leaves the workers with effectively less than 2 hours to do the real work. At that rate, the work would really never get done.<BR><BR>Bob Kiley is proposing to shut down a couple of lines at a time in order to do the work in a consistent concentrated way, which would save not only time but LOTS of money.<BR><BR>I believe that this is the same Bob Kiley who was invovled in public transport in Boston. Here in Boston, traffic has been crippled for years with a huge costly project informally known as the "big Dig" which is an expensive fiasco mostly because the project tried to keep the old highway overpasses operating while building the undeground replacement tunnels. If Boston had done as Kiley now suggests for London, just shut down the old, update, then re-open, the project would have been done long ago at a fraction of the cost. And probably not much more disruption! So I think perhaps Kiley has learned a lesson from Boston's experience.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:18 AM
Andre

I think Kiley headed the MTA in NY, not Boston.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
xxx3

Both Boston and NY.<BR><BR>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/...00/1113837.stm

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:44 AM
Klaxon

The article says, if the plan is implemented, it won't start till next year. which is 8 months away, please turn your caps off Tuber.