Search

London Travel Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Travel Update

Hello Fodorites from London,

I thought I would do a quick post after scanning previous posts to let everyone know what London is like now since posters seem to think the situation is very tense over here in the city in general. This evening my children and I spent the evening out near covent garden and picadilly. Everyone on the street seems to be walking around in their usual "happy" summer Friday evening state so for those who think they should cancel their London trip because "people are tense" don't. People over here appear to be glad that the plot was foiled and that they will cooperate with whatever the rules are.

The only changes I have noticed recently is that there are more searches at the tourist sites such as Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey. Today at our tour at Buckingham Palace I had to check in my bug bite cream and wipes which was placed in a plastic bag and returned to me at the end of the tour. They also collected all water and other liquid drinks and had people throw them out before they began the tour. So it will probablly take you a few more minutes to enter some sites.

Travelers coming through the UK to then catch a second plane to the continent should check their flight because flights are still being cancelled although today was a lot better than yesterday. For short-haul flights about 40% to 50% of domestic flights were cancelled today and they expect the rate will be the same tomorrow. Some carriers from the continent over to the UK are also cancelling flights so again check your carrier. Please be mindful that the airlines are having to move planes around for the next few days due to yesterday's mass cancellation so they are asking for patience. We have also been advised to get to London airports at leaqst 4 hours before your flight if returing to the US since we are having to be double searched and 3 hours if flying domestic. No one is being allowed at the airports other than those flying so don't plan on having someone meet you for your flight.

It is also reported that Authorities are meeting to discuss and plan the new checked baggage rules. In fact the news has just reported that you can bring a book on board your flight in a plastic bag. Also the news has reported that a big problem has been people's key bobbles (you know the plastic thing that opens your door ) so be sure to take it off you key chain and check it in.

Many Hotels are also cooperating and allowing guests to extend their stay due to the current travel conditions. U.S. airlines are also allowing passengers to reschedule or refund thier tickets if scheduled for travel from Aug. 10 forward to a date I can't remember (check webites).

Everyone's decision to travel is personal, but if you think you will not have fun in London because of this recent incident, please don't let it discourage you. Last night we took our children to see Mary Poppins and it was a full house with people enjoying themselves. Hope this is helpful,
Itsv
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Oh, thank you so much, itsv. This is what makes the internet so valuable--first-hand observation in a bewildering situation. I hadn't thought about water being confiscated at attractions. It's just good to know. I return to England next month. Let's hope things have calmed down by then.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM

itsv...Glad to hear you enjoyed Mary Poppins. My mother and I have tickets for early September and are looking forward to it.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 05:56 PM

there are links to updated airline information on this thread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34852040
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM

Thank you itsv for the current update. I've followed links to official sites but this is the first I've read that books are now allowed. Very helpful.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM
ira

Thanks for the update, it.

>...people's key bobbles (you know the plastic thing that opens your door)...<

No, I don't.
I unlock my door with a key and turn the handle.

What is a "bobble"?

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:10 AM

It is the little remote control that locks and unlocks a newer car and usually sets the alarm too.

When you hear a car horn honk or beep all by themselves in a parking lot that is the sound of people setting their alarms and locking their car doors by remote.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:10 AM

all by itself
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:21 AM

I heard that you can books and drinks "air-side" now.

Londoners don't really get tense about these things.
Don't forget that the UK has had decades of terrorism.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:43 AM
bellastarr

thanks for a truly great post itsy. Your insight is a breath of fresh air!

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 04:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sister flew from Prague to Heathrow and then from Heathrow to the US yesterday. Her flight to Heathrow was quite early, so there was no back up at immigration when she got there. She said that Heathrow was very organized and she was very imporessed with the calm there.
Her flight to the US left the gate 40 minutes late, but then had to sit on the tarmac for two hours and 45 minutes waiting for clearance from US officials. She said British Airways handled it very well, They served drinks right away and kept the passengers apprised of the situation.
She said it was not a big deal. She got home safe and sound and managed just fine with no carry on bag.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 05:51 AM

The gizmo that is part of your car key is called a "fob" and in many cars - like ours - it is all one piece, i.e. key cannot be un-attached from the "fob". I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with Ford yesterday regarding this.

I would not be happy putting my car keys in checked luggage (would you?), hopefully this will be re-our case we need to drive 2 hrs. to the airport to get a flight to Europe and we need our car to get back home upon return (have no one can drive us there and pick us up).If the luggage goes missing we are up the creek. If the luggage does come and "things" are missing (i.e., stolen) and keys are among them we are also up the creek and cannot drive our car home.

Any thoughts on this ??? I am hoping they relax this rule in the near future.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:09 AM
bd

I just returned from a trip flying from Zurich to LHR on the 10th, and then LHR to JFK on the 11th, and thought it might help others if I explained what we went through. Of course, I don't know what might change today...

We checked with SwissAir earlier in the day and were told the 4:55pm flight was still scheduled to leave on time. Travelled from Wengen to Zurich arrived in the airport and were told that Heathrow was a "war zone" and was closed, and there was little chance we were going to get there to make our 2pm flight the next day. And since we booked each flight separately, we were basically "screwed", but we were to go stand in line at the Swiss air office to find out what they would do. While on line, we called Travelocity who we used to book our Virgin Atlantic flight with, to see what our options were, and while they tried to be helpful, they merely had us on hold forever and could tell us nothing.

The Swiss Air agent was very helpful and found a flight the next morning to LHR via Brussels which would get us to London at 10am which should be enough time to make our flight home. She luckily had trouble transfering us over because just before she did, there was an announcement that LHR reopened and our flight was leaving afterall. We were told to check everything but my purse, but most everyone and the gate normal carry-ons and were allowed to bring them aboard. I have to admit I felt a little uneasy on the plane when the gentlemen across the aisle took out his Koran and began praying an hour before we landed.

Stayed at a hotel near LHR and arrived at 10am the next morning. It looked like a mob scene, but was surprisingly well-staffed and people were kept well-informed on where to go and what to do. We got on line at Virgin Atlantic for about 2 hours, checked in, then got on line for security for less than an hour. We were not allowed to bring anything on board except tickets, passports, medications, tissues, and a pocket-sized wallet, and those all had to be put in a clear plastic bag. Security had us remove all jackets and shoes and patted us down one-by-one.

We still had no gate assignment on the other side, so waited by the duty-free shops - still not sure if we were going anywhere. Passengers flying to non-US locations, were permitted to bring items they purchased on board, but US-bound passengers were not.

A little before 2, we got our gate assignment. We were again patted down, and all newspapers, books, etc. that people bought for the flight were confiscated. The soda machines in the waiting room there were sealed off.

We then boarded buses and were driven to the plane which we boarded about 2:30 and then sat there waiting for the US to give us clearance to fly. We sat there for 3 hours (without anything to read or drink - although Virgin Atlantic finally passed out glasses of water.)

We were all amused when we received the standard announcements about turning off cell phones, and storing all carryons in the overhead bins, etc. Most everyone was starving and they served dinner as soon as possible once we were airborne.

Arrived at JFK at 7:30pm and made it through immigration shortly after 8. Then we waited for luggage. Customs scanned every piece before returning it, and for close to 300 passengers who had to check everything they had... We were warned it was going to take awhile and we finally had it all by 10:30.

It was a long day (or 3), and it's good to be home safe and sound.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 07:26 AM

bd,

"It was a long day (or 3), and it's good to be home safe and sound."

Sounds like 3. Thanks for a calm, well-written, detailed report.

Glad you made it home safely.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the good news.
We are leaving the US Tuesday for our first visit to London and are very excited .
I am glad that things are well over there.
I am also glad that Mary Poppins is a hit as we are seeing it Thursday
Melissa
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lori,
As far as the car keys are concerned. My elecronic "fob" is separate from my actual car key. Just take a plain car key with you. They are allowed on the planes.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM

schmerl, our car does not come with a "plain key". The key and fob are all one unit, that is how Ford made them (we have a 2006 Ford Fusion). I called 3 Ford dealers as well as the key manufacturer. No way to separate them and have the key work. This is going to be a real problem for us.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Lori and anyone else with a bobble or key fob remote control to lock or unlock your car I always have at least 3 extra keys made to keep 1 in my wallet/coin case just in case I accidentaly lock my keys in my car. This may or not work for you however, it works for me. Fortunately I've never locked my keys in my car or lost them. I don't know if having a key on a chain around my neck or in a wallet etc. would be accepted on a plane. Maybe someone else has that answer. I REALLY LIKE being able to use the key bobble or whatever it is to lock it and it honks the horn because if I am unsure which lane I parked my car in the honking horn usually helps me find it. Hope this helps someone.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:32 PM

schmerl...I didn't realize that you had already posted about plain keys being allowed on planes. I knew that there was another great reason to always have extra keys made. Thanks for your posts and input. Keep it up. Molly aka luvlondon
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM

IT- thank you for taking the time for this post. It is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -