Reload this Page >

London travel advice

Search

London travel advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:05 PM
suzbutler

London travel advice

Going to London for the first time for Thanksgiving (visiting daughter). Found lots of advice on sight but wish I found it sooner - would have booked American instead of BA. Pretty confident about staying at the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury. Very happy about the 2-for-1 deal for sightseeing tickets.

Need advice on 2 issues: Traveling on a budget - we are arriving after rush hour, what is the best way to get to the Morgan - Tube, Airbus or hire a car. Also - Just how strict is BA about carryon luggage - one bag under 13 lbs. is impossible. I'm afraid to check all our luggage - lost luggage could ruin the trip.
Please advise - thanks.

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many are you - it makes a lot of difference re the best way to get to the hotel. But by far the cheapest would be the tube. For 2 a car service is convenient but about £20 a person inc tip. It would be fairly reasonable if there are 3 or 4 of you.

BA is very strict about cabin baggage. Each of you would be allowed 1 carry on of up to 6 kilo plus a small personal item (modest sized handbag, camera). Luggage might be delayed but it is very seldom lost. Sure, it could happen - but don't worry that much about it.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 09:11 PM
suzbutler

There are 3 of us - the car service seems so convient. Any advise? Just Airports was around 50#
I'll try not to worry about luggage - have heard BA is pretty good about that. Thanks for the help.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 03:57 AM

The tube would still be half the price of a car hire, even if there are three of you. Since you said the word budget I would go with the tube - especially since you said arriving after rush hour and it sounds like you are traveling fairly light if you are thinking of carry-on.

I only flew BA once and they did NOT weigh our carry on luggage. We had one rolling 19" and a medium size handbag/backpack each. They were most definitly over the 6 kilo limit. But you can't depend on them not weighing your bags - it will depend on the staff at your departure airport. I've always avoided BA because of that weight limit as I really like to carry-on everything. But we got switched to them last summer because our Aer Lingus flight was overbooked and I have to say BA was a wonderful airline - great seats (in coach), best meal I've had in the air in a long time.

Best budget advice I have for London is to get food at Marks and Spencer (huge selection of really good stuff) and have a picnic. Harder to do in Novemeber than summer but even if you have to eat in your hotel room it's still worth it. Traditional restaurant meals were the budget killer in London. With a tuabe pass and the fact that the museums are free, everything else in London was quite affordable.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've found the carry on luggage limits to be randomly enforced by BA. Luggage does occasionally get lost or delayed but I figure you can't go through life planning on the worst case scenario so we split the difference...check the luggage but stow a change of clothes in the carry on.

The car service is very convenient and we've used the two that are routinely recommended here (Ray Skinner and Swiss Cottage). Haven't used Just Airports but that price sounds great! If you use them, please report back and let others know what you thought of the service.

I agree with isabel about taking the tube especially if you're on a budget and are light on luggage. It's such a no brainer from Heathrow to Blooomsbury (straight shot on the Picadilly line). My daughter and I had no problem making the trip each with a 21" rolling case and carry on bag.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:33 AM

I also like isabel's suggestion of getting take away food from the the grocery. There's a Tesco Metro across the street from the Holburn turbe.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:52 AM

And if you like shawarma sandwiches or tandoori chicken, there's no shortage of inexpensive Middle Eastern take-out places and Indian restaurants around town, particularly along the Queensway.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 05:53 AM
suzbutler

You are right, I can't worry about lost luggage. I'm on vacation - no worries!
I think we'll try the tube. We use the subway here in the states so if it is a straight shot it should be a breeze.

Take away sounds great since like everyone else we are watching what we eat. I read that Pret A Manger and Giovanni's Sandwich Bar have good sandwiches.

Any suggestions on a market - the Apple Market, Spitalfields or Camden Market?

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Hi suzb,

Spitalfields market is one of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday morning in London. Crafts, collectibles, fashions, organic foods, flowers. Nearby are the Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane markets which are bric a brac, clothes and furniture. The tube stop for Spitalfields is Liverpool Street.

Camden and its associated markets are funkier and more teen oriented. Also way more crowded. Fun but my preference is above.

I've never been to the Apple market but I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 08:18 AM

It's probably a case of "six of this Vs a half dozen of that" but here's little more information for your consideration if you do decide to take the tube from Heathrow.
The Morgan Hotel is at the corner of Bloomsbury Street and Great Russell Street . It's next door to the British Museum Gift Shop .
The Tottenham Court Road Station is actually nearer to the Morgan Hotel than is the Holborn Station, but going that route would involve your having to change tube lines. ( Tottenham Court is on the Central Line and the Northern Line.) It is then a 3 minute walk to the Morgan.
Arriving via the Holborn Station requires no change of trains but it would require a longer walk to the Morgan. I would guess that walk could take 10-15 minutes for a group of 3 who are unfamiliar with the area and who are pulling suitcases.

For budget take away food nearby the hotel: there's a Sainsbury's ( grocery) on Tottenham Court Road...they have a salad bar,fresh fruit, a small deli with roasted chicken and hot sandwiches, and also there's a nice selection of cold sandwiches and bottled drinks.
There are sandwich shops all over the place..one is not too far away on Great Russell Street .
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 11:34 AM
lyb

I have to disagree about not worrying about lost luggage. On my recent trip to Italy, my friend and I flew out of different airports and met at the hotel in Rome. Unfortunately, her luggage didn't get to Rome for over 24 hours after she got to Rome. Rome was hot and humid, it was early July, and if I hadn't had any clothes to lend her, she would have been stuck with the same sweaty clothes the next day, she also wouldn't have any shampoo,or other toileteries.

I think she has learned her lesson and next time, she will pack a few back ups in her carry on luggage. So therefore, I do think you need to worry about lost luggage by having back ups. Don't worry about it so that it ruins your vacation preparation. Ironically, prior to our trip, I was the one who was worried like a madwoman about my luggage getting lost and it was the 5th bag to come down the conveyor belt at the airport.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 05:15 AM

Suz, unless you have a lot of luggage, I think you will be happier taking the tube. Not just the savings, but it will be faster.

Keith
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 06:39 AM

This may sound like a silly thing to say, but I was under the impression that with the new TSA regulations that 'lost luggage' was a thing of the past (at least on flights from the US). I thought that with the bag matching rule, if you were on the flight, your bag had to be too. Am I wrong?

Also- I am planning on using justairports.com for our trip to London in mid-January. The booking center answered my e-mails promptly, and they seem like a good service. I will report back on their service when I get home!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Erin,

I can't speak to the International flights, but on domestic flights it is still not unusual for luggage to be on a different flight.

For that matter, if you have connecting flights and the connection is slow, it is common.

Keith
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:47 AM

Erin, you have the bag-matching backwards: If your bag is on the flight, then you must be, too.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Yes, what Keith said is accurate. But I guess the point I was trying to make was that your presence on a flight does not assure that you luggage will be, too.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:32 AM

The first time I flew BA several years ago, I was unaware of the weight restrictions on carry on bags--mine was small (20" high) but heavier than 13 pounds. They required that I check it, which meant some last minute rearranging and using a shopping bag as a carryon.

When you pack the bags to be checked, don't allocate them only one for each person's clothes, do some sharing of space. That way if one bag is lost, that person will still have a few essentials in the other bag.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 09:34 AM
suzbutler

Just to be safe, we are all taking a change of nice clothes and any essential items in our carry-on bag and checking the rest. We are taking a direct flight so hopefully there will be no problems.

My Mom always told me to take an extra pair of shoes and socks in case I step in a puddle, an extra sweater in case it gets cold, a flashlight in case it gets dark and I can't see the puddles... - and that was just on day trips! I'm trying not to worry about not taking my Leatherman tool with me in case I need to cut down a tree and make shelter

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:02 AM

In addition to food shops at the major department stores and sandwich shops like Pret, I would also suggest Wagamama for some cheap good food. There is even a Wagamama within two blocks of the Morgan Hotel--walk South on Bloomsbury St. (street that the hotel is on and South would be taking a left out the front door) for about two blocks and turn left. I can't remember the street name, but it's the first street after you cross Great Russell Street. You should be able to see the sign from the corner of Bloomsbury St. Don't forget to pick up a post card that lists their other locations. We never had a bad meal there and found it to be quite pleasant. Have fun!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:50 AM
suzbutler

Thanks for the great advice everyone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -