London: Trafalgar Square Hops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my most favorite resting places in London is Trafalgar Square, where today it seems something is always going on.

And if there isn't some stage act, festival or protest going on then the hoards of tourists that traipse around is just fun people watching.

Of course Nelson's statue, commemorating i guess the Battle of Trafalgar in some long past war, is the focal point that makes the square grandiose - as well as the young German and French school groups that often climb onto its base.

The benches abutting the walls on three parts of the square make a good respite from the rigors of touring and until recently i would enjoy a tin of cider or ale and watch the show. But last year i was reprimanded by the local constabulary -"why don't you take that somewhere else"?

Rarely if ever being told alcohol was not allowed any place in Europe the copper pointed out the no booze signs so of course i complied - by discretely hiding my can under my jacket whenever the officers came by.

Anyway, Trafalgar Square, in the heart of tourist London is a great place to relax and take in the never ending show. The majesty of the National Gallery which now abuts the square to the north (a former busy street having been closed off) and the Nelson thingy just make a neat atmosphere.

Any thoughts anyone has on Trafalgar Square are very welcomed!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
yk

IMO, it's much nicer there now without the millions of pigeons pooping all over Trafalgas Sq.

Trying to cross the streets from say, SW corner of the Sq, to NE corner of the Sq, can easily take 5 minutes or more. Seems like the traffic lights are never coordinatee for the pedestrian, nor for the vehicle traffic.

St Martin in the fields on the East side offer free lunchtime concerts 3 times a week. Worth stopping by if you happen to be there around 1pm.
http://www2.stmartin-in-the-fields.o...lunchtime.html
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM

My thoughts on Trafalgar Square:

1) Are the pigeons gone? I am deathly afraid of flying birds (I mind them, but less so, when they are walking), so places like Trafalgar Sq. and St. Mark's have never been high on my list, although I don't skip them, I just suck it up. I have a picture of myself from 10 years ago standing in Trafalgar Square with the pigeon food booth behind me (why in the world anyone anywhere would ever think it's a good idea to actually feed the pigeons is beyond me). We were in London this summer, but never did go by Trafalgar Square.

2) On that same trip 10 years ago, we arrived in London to a heat wave (over 90 degrees F). My kids, as well as hundreds of others, actually rolled up their pants and waded in the fountain to cool off, without any "comment" by the police or anyone else.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 09:36 AM
yk

Ken Livingstone declared a war on the Trafalgar Sq pigeons several years ago. All pigeon-food stands were closed down, and it is illegal to feed pigeons in Trafalgar Sq. Since this change, the pigeons have moved elsewhere to find food.

I can never understand why people (esp tourists) feed these "rats with wings". They carry and transmit diseases, and their droppings cause damage to buildings and monuments. I shudder every time I see a tourist excited to have pigeons standing all over his/her head.

I think the officials in Venice have followed suit. Haven't been to St Mark's Sq lately, so I am not sure if it's been successful or not.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Plenty of rats with wings in San Marco last winter - not nearly as many as before but still plagued.

Yes it was visionary Mayor of London Sir Ken Livingstone who cleaned up Trafalgar Square - his regime was also responsible for making the square the focal point of so many cultural festivals and performances.

The Chinese New Year Parade ends here (or did a few years back) and there was a Chinese music festival the rest of the day and night.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 09:46 AM

No, PQ, he hasn't been knighted (even though plenty think him benighted). If it were ever offered, I'd assume he'd decline: with a fair amount of fanfare about it.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM

I'd like it better if they put something not so outlandish on the fourth plinth . The pregnant lady was bad enough but the multocolored plastic thing is even worse
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I love the people watching at Trafalgar Square and all the strange things that seem to go on there. First time I saw it, there was the pregnant lady with no arms and no legs, an enormous balloon in the shape of an ugly foot floating around, and nerds dressed up as St George trying to get people to agree to participate in some sort of Monty Python thing for some sort of Guiness world record.

A couple of weeks later, dozens of people were decking out the square in red, white, and green in what I thought must be some sort of Italy fest but in fact was a PG Tips promotion.

In October I got to watch work crews put up the set for an Olympic medal-winners parade (and watched the parade on TV the next day) and just before Christmas the square was like a giant playground with all these kids running around climbing on everything and falling and screaming and bloodlying their lips and there was some sort of weirdo skulking about in a sequined cape. The nativity display was kind of ugly and the animals looked like they had fake fur stapled to their bodies.

This past Saturday there was a big Palestinian demonstration that snarled up the traffic all day.

Never a dull moment in Trafalgar Square. Can't wait to see what monstrosity they replace the multi-coloured plastic shapes with.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM

I belive the next thing on the 4th plinth is us - ie Londoners. We can all get a go on the plinth.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Let us know which day you take the stand , CW! We'll all come to seeyou.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Yes, but you'll all bring rotten fruit.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

CW talking about some contest to see how many Londoners can fit on the 4th plinth at once - if CW takes the stand it should count for two people i'd think
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM

No, I think that's your idea, PQ. People can apply for a slot to stand on it - presumably only one or two at a time, and only for a short time. I shudder to think of the exhibitionists that are likely to be there (and indeed what the public response might be).
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM

To forestall at least some future Fodor's threads on how to apply for tickets (and no, I don't know if International Reply Coupons will be required, or whether you tip Antony Gormley):

http://www.london.gov.uk/fourthplint...th/gormley.jsp
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM

One day in November, I walked to the British Museum with a 60ish Englishwoman, and when I told her we were staying at the Trafalgar Hilton, she said, "I once swam nude in the fountains at Trafalgar Square, and I had the permission of the Queen!"

Then of course it came out that when she was 4 years old, there was a children's assembly on behalf of some charity on a really hot summer's day, and the Queen, made aware of it, asked for ice cream to be sent round and gave permission for the children to swim in the fountains. There were no bathing suits, of course, so it was the Queen's permission for nude swimming!

It was clearly a story the Englishwoman loved to tell!
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM

I can see the threads:

"Standing on the plinth. Is it worth it?"

"what to wear to fit in on the plinth"

"The plinth in march - do I need gloves?"

"what's a plinth?"
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

I would hope that a statue of visionary Mayor Sir Red Ken Livingstone will be picked to permanently top the 4th plinth, whatever that is.

Sir Red cleaned up the square - sent the 'rats with wings' packing and opened the new Super Loo - free Super Loo that is now a main reason for me to head to the square if in the area and in need of relief.

This public loo has got to be amongst the best ten pubic loos in Europe!

Thank you 'Red' Ken for your visionary ideas - too bad you could not continue your good deads - every tourist owes you a lot.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Is there a loo that isn't (in some very real sense) pubic, PQ?

And as for Ken's good deads...

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM

Pal's idea of Red Ken's "achievements" appear to consist of making it possible for elderly, self confessed, street drinkers to piss in our public spaces.

Says it all really.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM

C_W

LOL - I would love to see you try to get up on one of those plinths!!!

Let me know your big day and I will be there with boxes of eggs in plentiful supply!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -