Reload this Page >

London to Paris - Worth it for one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Emma

Hello all. Leaving for London next week and was wondering if I should take a trip to Paris for the day. Is it worth the time spent on the train? Thanks.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Gail

You need more that one day in Paris...plan for AT LEAST two nights and days, if possible...there is too much to do and see for just one day...<BR>You must see Notre Dame and you could spend days in the Lourve

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Doug

This is a value question that has no right answer, but my opinion is that you should try to do all that interests you when you get to London. The day trip to Paris is possible and it is definetely worth some effort to see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Arc de Triomph and the Champs Elysees. You could see all of these in one day. If you never get closer than London then do it!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 06:02 PM
StCirq

How much time have you allotted for London? If you've got a week or more, then a jaunt to Paris on the Eurostar is probably worth a day or two. If not, wait for another trip. Both cities deserve a LOT of time.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Andrea

If you want to go, I highly recommend that you do. Of course, both cities “deserve” more time, but personally, I try to plan each trip with the criteria: “If, for some reason, I was unable to travel again, what would I be most disappointed I did not see?” <BR><BR>My sister-in-law's husband's parents planned their entire lives to retire and then travel around the states in a "luxury" motorhome (possibly an oxymoron, but that's beside the point). They had long, long lists of the places they wanted to see together, and although they had both the time and money to do so before retirement, went very few places. Very tragically, the husband died quite suddenly less than one year after his retirement.<BR><BR>I hope this doesn’t sound overly melodramatic in response to such a simple question (should I visit Paris), but it’s something we actually do try to live by. <BR><BR>So, an overly long, melodramatic way to say: I think you should take a day & go!<BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Jim Rosenberg

I agree with the principle expressed in Andrea's post above and I live by it. The practical part of your question revolves around the fact that you will have a minimum of eight hours tied up in directly transportation-related activity that you have to carve out of your day, plus the cost. Only you can decide if it's worth it. I would probably do it, if I hadn't seen Paris before and I thought I wouldn't have another chance for a long time. (Once you've had a taste of Paris, I'm guessing you'll find a way to have another chance sooner though).

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Snoopy

I agree with the sentiments of those saying go for it. You might enjoy the train ride; it's about a 3 hour trip (there's a time change now). You can leave early enough to get to Paris by 9:30am and have close to 12 hours there.<BR><BR>The trip is pretty pricey if you wait until the last moment to purchase tickets. I did this on a business trip last month - didn't do any touristy stuff - and we had to pay close to 400 pounds for a return ticket because every other class of service was full. We took a 5:15 am departure and an 8:45 pm return . . . same day.<BR><BR>Have fun.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Janie

Hi .<BR>Unless you feel you won't make it to Paris again, yes - its worth the hassle and the expense. Its the best place in the world to visit.<BR>However, if you will one day get there it is definintely not worth it. I often go from London to Paris for a weekend and even then I don't feel its enough time. But if its your one and only chance, its the best chance in the world!! To walk down the River Seine passed the Notre Dame Cathedral is something truly special. But I would recommend you plan a trip to spend at least 1 week in Paris, in which time you can do a day trip to Versailles Castle and perhaps another village. <BR>Stay in London - there is SO much to do and see here.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Ira

If all you want to do is be able to say, "I visited Paris", I would recommend against it.<BR><BR>You will rush past all of the famous sites and won't have time to appreciate what you are seeing.<BR><BR>If you never see Paris again you will regret not having spent more time there.<BR><BR>If you will be in London for more than a week, I suggest that you do an overnight to Paris.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Annette

Emma- I recently returned from London and took the Eurostar to Paris (haven't yet posted my report, but will shortly). What was initially intended to be a daytrip, turned out to be an overnight stay (missed my train).<BR><BR>I agree with the previous posters, Paris requires more than 8-9 hours. IMHO, this is a very subjective issue. I took my mother only because I've no idea when she'll make it back to Europe and thought she'd enjoy Paris. It makes for a very long day, though we found the Eurostar a convenient, (fairly) comfortable way to go.<BR><BR>You didn't mention if cost is an issue, our tix cost &pound;70 per person (weekend day return). I booked in a month in advance via telephone, Eurostar's (London) offices: 08705 186 186.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Ed

Yes, unless you spend 48.423 minutes looking at each item in the Louvre you cannot legally say that you have been there. Unless you go to the top of the Eiffel tower and stay for 17.88 minutes, walk the full 360 degree turn twice, you can be arrested for saying that you have been to Paris.<BR><BR>You need to obtain official approval from at least 5 people on the Fodor's site and take their recommendation for your length of stay or you may have your passport revoked by the You Weren't There Long Enough In Our Official Opinion Department.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Clark

Ed is indeed correct - but allow me to clarify. Make your first 360 turn on the Eiffel Tower walking clockwise. Your second 360 is to be made counter-clockwise. Also, if at all possible, wear a beret with the name "Rusty" embroidered on it.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 09:50 AM
paula

I would say yes. I went to london 2 years ago and we took the chunnel to paris for the day. we were only in europe for 7 days and looking back we were thrilled that we got a taste of paris. We decided to buy our tickets the night before which turned out to be the best deal. The books at home all said the fare would be around 400 us dollars but cost us only 125 at the last minute. I don't recommend using a tour bus-we couldn't understand a thing they were saying. We had the most fun just walking around and having lunch on the siene. The chunnel also is senic and you can order drinks and food.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 10:13 AM
xxx

I took the Eurostar to Paris for one day about three years ago. Went by myself (husband was working in London for the week) and had the best time!! I took the early train (approx 6:30am) and returned on a train that left Gare Du Nord at about 6:00pm. No, I did not have time to "do" all the sites, but I spent a great deal of time walking the city, saw some sites, shopped and had lunch on the Champs Elysees. I would do it again in a minute. The fare purchased had to be booked well ahead of time and was called a "shopper's special" or something of that sort. The round trip had to be completed that same day, but the fare as I recall was about $150. Keep in mind that this was three years ago, and it was in March when tourism would be low.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Erin

My 2 cents...if you've been to Paris before and just want a quick trip and change of scenery from London...then yes, do a daytrip. Otherwise, you won't have enough time to do most sites in Paris (at least not the more interesting sites...Louvre, Orsay et al).

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 06:25 PM
old orch

no in my opinion. did it once and it was a mistake. paris is too big and great for that type of trip...travel time vs paris time.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:51 AM
Nigel Doran

Do it, but make sure you go very early and come back as late as you can. <BR>Get a cheap ticket by going to www.eurostar.com. First class is not worth it. You can expect to spend about $90 all in, there and back on a ticket. Get them to deliver to your hotel in London. <BR>Do our homework and know what you want to see. You can also buy tickets for the public transport system in Paris at Eurostar in Waterloo. Don't be too disappointed if you don't get to see all your sites. Don't get too uptight if things go slightly awry, or it will spoil the very short time you have there. <BR>I did this day trip in summer. It was great, even with a Eurostar delay (fairly common, I am afraid to say.) <BR>However, seeing as you are leaving next week, you might not get the cheapest tickets.