Reload this Page >

London to Paris: ferry or tunnel train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 08:46 AM
Kathy thomas

Two female friends are planning to visit Europe from Sept.27 to Nov.12. We were going to begin in London, and later cross over to Paris. We are wondering about whether we should take the ferry or Eurostar via the tunnel. The underground train takes approx. 3 hours, and costs about 174$ Cdn for two people. Does anyone know how long it takes by ferry? Cost? Any info. would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 09:11 AM
kam

Don't know what the ferry costs or how long it takes, but at that time of year you will be happier under the channel than on top of it. The weather could make for a rough crossing. Also, once you get to France you then have to get on a train anyway. I think the Eurostar is certainly the way to go. Think about why they built it when they already had the ferries! <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 09:18 AM
Christina

I believe you will find a lot of posts on this <BR>board on Eurostar if you use the search <BR>function. It's been a while, but as I <BR>recall, the ferry/train combo takes almost <BR>all day--I don't remember exactly the <BR>ferry part, but if you leave London <BR>by train about 8-9 am to get the ferry at <BR>Dover, you don't get to Paris until about 4 pm. <BR>Don't know cost, purely an educated guess <BR>that it's about 1/2 or little less of Eurostar. <BR>There are WEB sites for this that are <BR>easy to find if you know how to use a <BR>search engine.

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 11:39 AM
Jesse

eurostar is the way to go !! drops you in the middle of Paris in 3 hours. Try raileurope.com for info and fares.

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 08:51 AM
Angela

Just did this this summer and thought about doing the same thing. When we checked into this we discovered that British Midland flew for less (return fare) than taking the ferry or chunnel. Not sure what the fares are now but we did it for $200 cdn. And it only took 1 hr!

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 04:41 PM
Frank

Have you ever seen the White Cliffs of Dover? I hadn't and decided on the ferry. However, if you were not alive in the 1940s, the "white cliffs" might not mean much to you. In regard to time, is it urgent to get to Paris in 3 hours? You're on vacation- take the time. If you do decide on the ferry take the Seacat or SeaFrance ferry. Avoid the Hovercraft. The Eurostar fares are complicated but you can save money, I think, but buying your ticket in the States. The ferry cost about $40.00 US plus train cost. I stayed in Dover for a few days to see Cambridge and Canterbury, then took the ferry from Dover and the train from Calais. It was a worthwhile adventure. <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 1998, 04:59 PM
Marcia

Yes - page backwards or use the search function. There was a long discussion within the last couple of weeks I think - certainly within the last month.

Old Sep 24th, 1998, 04:48 PM
Carol

Traveling to London then Paris in October with teenage daughter and two friends. We found a special on the SeaFrance Website offering two free tickets on the England to France direction taking the ferry. Our ferry tickets arrived within three weeks of our making the request on the internet. This pretty much made the decision easy for us as we are cutting costs any way we can. I also agree with the other posting, we are on vacation and have the time to take a little longer and want my daughter to see the English countryside. Have fun. <BR>Carol