London to Edinburgh Driving Time?

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Tony

London to Edinburgh Driving Time?

We will be spending about 10 days in London (with associated day trips) afterwhich we are renting a car to do a driving tour of Scotland and Northern England. The car rental is Sat to Sat so my plan is to get to Edinburgh immediately, take 4 or 5 days touring Scotland and finally a couple of days back to London via York,etc. I have a couple of questions:

1. What is a reasonable amount of time for the London/Edinburgh drive?

2. I understand that the motorways may be unpleasantly busy. Any recommended alternatives on the carriageways?

There will be three of us and we are all first-timers so any information would be most helpful.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 06:46 PM
Andrew

Tony:
A couple of years ago we drove from Peterborough to Newcastle via York. This took around 5 hours including a walk around Yorkminster.

We had one serious delay on the A1, but things otherwise moved along nicely.

I am also planning a 5 day driving tour around Scotland this summer. Do you have any tips/ recommendations?
thanks,
Andrew.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 04:12 AM
Maira

Tony----Last May my husband & I drove from London to Inverness and back to London via Edinburgh. My impression of the highway system was very positive, very well posted (signs), great road conditons, excellent service stations, not crowded at all. Once in a while, we did find a truck that would slow traffic somewhat, but that was about it. As you might imagine, we did stayed overnight on our way to Loch Ness and on our way back from Edinburgh. We both loved Scotland and the Scottish; very real people. Can't wait to go back!

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 12:59 PM
Tony Hughes

Maira - seems like Scotland could do with people like you and your husband !!

The tourist board would love you.

Tony - Depending on what part of London you are in and also possible roadworks and time of year (Mad march = all local authorities HAVE to spend their maintenance budget before end of financial year) it could take between 7 and 10 hours. The Stellarossa guide to London-Edinburgh is (it's ok , i am transportation engineer) M1 - M6 - M74 - A74 - A702 - you're there!

Dont bother with non-motorway routes if you can help it or unless you have 4 weeks to spare. If you need any Scots/Edinburgh/British Road info then mail me.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 01:51 PM
Kavey

Blimey!

I know I have a small country perspective on distances but you want to DRIVE to Scotland from London?

I hope you won't think me rude if I ask why?

If it is possible I would recommend taking a train or plane to Scotland and picking the car up there and like wise back again.

Not only will it save you hours of time on a very dull motorway but if you work out the fuel costs (petrol being astronomically expensive here) it probably wouldn't cost you much more.

Train companies often have so many special apex fares for off peak travel (usually need to book in advance).

People like EasyJet usually offer cheap flights from London Luton airport to Scottish airports for as little as £30.
Return.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 02:25 PM
Sheila

Strongly subscribe to preceding view. Take the train.

Andrew; post separately telling us a little ofyour intentions and we will see what we can recommend.

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 11:19 PM
NIGEL DORAN

Hello

Yes, take the train or go for one of the no-frills airlines.
At the moment, you can book in advance and get return trips to E'burgh for £30 for travel till the end of June. www.gner.co.uk is the site, 44 345 225 225 is the phone no.
www.easyjet.com is a low coast airline with internet booking facilities. Try British Midland and K L M U K too.
Driving would be, in my opinion, lengthy and tiresome and expensive.

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 07:00 AM
Tony

Thank you so much for the wealth of information. You people are so generous sharing your knowledge of the area.

Kavey, Sheila, Nigel - I guess its just my Canadian addiction to the automobile. There are 3 of us (wife, adult daughter, and myself) so I just assumed the car would be best in terms of flexibility, independence and most importantly cost. Also assumed the drive through Northern England would be scenic/interesting. Is driving really that much of a hassle? Three train/plane return fares London/Edinburgh on weekend can be quite a few $Cdn.

Tony - Thanks for the route. I'll be leaving from the Euston area (have to figure out HOW to get out of the city to the M1!) What do you think of this whole drive or train/fly debate?

To all - We are trying to plan our budget and would appreciate any info on what to expect in terms of B&B costs. We'll be following a route somewhat similar to the one Sheila generously mapped out in an earlier post. Our needs are rather simple. Nothing fancy, just clean, safe room and good food reasonably priced.

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 09:23 AM
Heather

Tony, we did the drive last year, June/July and absolutely loved it. Although taking the train is an "easy" alternate, unfortunately you can't stop to see sights along the way. I suggest driving through the Lake District. Its beautiful, Windermere, Grassmere.... Avoid Blackpool (cesspool.....very cheesy).
Once in Scotland - if you get a chance make the trip around the highlands.... even check out Isle of Skye. The scenery is amazing, but watch out for sheep (herds of them) crossing the carraigeways. Its' definitely an experience you don't want to miss.
Some of my best photographs are from
the highlands....
I strongly suggest driving. We didn't have any probelms with the highways.... Edinburgh is fun, you'll enjoy it. We took the Whiskey Heritage Tour, was interesting and the tastings are good, if you like Whiskey (I don't). You'll find it difficult to get food at some pubs after 5:00 - drinkers only!! We spent many an hour searching for somewhere that serves food. However, there is usually a take-away open late if you are desperate. Have a pint of Tartan Special for me!
Cheers,
Heather.

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:26 PM
Tony

Heather

Thanks so much for the information. We will avoid Blackpool but not the Tartan Special!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:53 PM
Maira

Agree with Heather. Yes, the train is convenient but the sights and the opportunities to explore beautiful off the beaten track sites are plentiful. The Highlands were unforgettable and the Lake District, specially the Lake Lommond area and Fort Williams was very, very nice.