London to Cotswolds

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London to Cotswolds

We are staying in London near Victoria tube for a week and doing a day trip to the Cotswolds to several antiques shops (in Stow-on-the-Wald and another, about 15 minutes away). What woud be the best transportation--and economical, e.g. train to ??, then hire car? Recommendations?
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I'd hire a car in London, if you are confident driving on the other side. This is the most economical way, besides that, it offers the most flexibitility, much better than any train.

You'll find excellent antique shops there, and indeed all over Cotswold country. please note it is Wold. Moreton-In-the-Marsh has more antique shops too, as well as Stratford. I'd even be so bold as to suggest that you spend a couple of nights exploring the Cotswolds, it's a rather picturesque area, very pleasant to tour around.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick response. I have done that before. On this trip my traveling companion has already made arrangements with two dealers and wants to see those only. We are already booked on an air-hotel package in London. So, it really will be a day trip to 2 specific places and my question is really only about best transportation options--this time. We don't want to drive--this time. Thanks for the Wold correction. Shows you how long since I was there.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 12:43 PM

neither Stow-on-the-wold or the other (un-named) village will have a train station so a day trip by train is not terribly feasible. You could catch a cab from Charlbury or Kingham (kingham is near Stow).

But my choice would be to take the train from Paddington to Oxford and rent a car for the day there. You may not want to drive -- but it really is the only realistic option for antiquing in the Cotswolds. rent a car for the day from Oxford and then you can hit the two shops, have a nice lunch in a country pub, explore a little bit, drop the car back at Oxford and be back in London before dinner time . . . .
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 02:29 PM

I'm sure you can take a coach from Gloucester Green (coach station)in Oxford. For a schedule try www.nationalexpress.co.uk (I believe that's the correct website).However, it will take considerably more time to travel by coach.You'll spend most of the day traveling. Renting a car in Oxford would be the quickest and easiest. An overnight in Oxford or nearby would give you more time.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ray Skinner's London-Transfers does private hires for touring in the Cotswolds. It won't be the most economical way but might be the best mode of transport given that you have limited time and do not want to drive yourselves.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 03:08 PM

I just checked and if Moreton-in the-Marsh is your other destination, you can get a train from Oxford. It'll take about 30-40 minutes. However you'll still have Stow-on-the-Wold to manage. A private car hire from Oxford might be best. They could meet you at the train station, and it'd be cheaper than hiring from London.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 02:03 AM

SF Woman:

Don't you think you might get better advice about getting to your destination if you told us what it was?

Some towns 15 minutes away from Stow are on a railway line with a good train to London every hour. Others have bus services. Others haven't seen any public transport since Edward Thomas wrote "Addlestrop", or at any rate Addlestrop station closed in 1966.

So what's the best way to get to where you want to go? None of us can have the faintest idea till you tell where that is.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:31 AM

I would take the train from Paddington direct to Moreton in Marsh.

Then just take taxis from one Cotswold town to the next...
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:49 AM

An economical way could be to use the bus service at www.megabus.com
London to Oxford 2 pound each return.The trip takes just over 2 hours.
You catch the bus from Hillingdon Underground London, which may not be terribly convenient.
Pick up a hire car in Oxford and drive to the Cotswolds
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

To flanneruk: You're absolutely right. I'm trying to do this for my traveling companion. He told me that one shop was in Stow-on-the-Wold but couldn't remember the village that the other dealer was in. I'll ask him.

To all:
Thank you for such generous advice. I will tell him what you've said and let you know. See my response above.

He did say that the dealer of one shop might be willing to drive us the 15 minutes to the other, but that doesn't provide a lot of information.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Everyone who's written:
I just found out Moreton-in-the-Marsh is the destination. So, as someone volunteered, a train from Paddington wll work. Actually, this dealer will pick us up at the train, take us to his shop, provide lunch, take us to the other shop in Stow-on-the-Wold and. finally, pick us up and take us back to catch the train to London. How lovely.
This gentleman deals in Medieval antiques, quite rare. Should be an interesting day.
So, thank you all, and sorry to trouble you with gap in information.

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 12:42 AM

Book your ticket in advance - previous posts will give you the URL to visit. They have replaced some of the rolling stock on that section of line with inberior trains but there still maybe some Midland Mainline Intercity trains on that route and so you may be able to buy a cheap first class ticket...