Quick Trip to London from Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Paris for 10 days from March 18 - March 28 with my 10 year son and 13 year old daughter. We're using miles to fly from colorado and a friend is offering us a free apartment in Paris for the entire trip, so I have some budget available for excursions and I was thinking about taking the Eurostar to London for either a day trip or maybe staying overnight in London and doing two days (probably Tues 3/22 - Wed 3/23). Does anyone have any recommendations for a quick trip like this? Specific things you would or wouldn't do? Any recommendations for one night's lodging?

I realize this isn't the ideal way to see London, but I thought it could be fun and the kids might enjoy it.

Thanks for any tips!!
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 03:35 PM

I would stay the night in London if at all possible so the visit won't be totaly frustrating.

As far as Eurostar, fares work like planes fares and vary by day and train and when you buy. But as far in advance as possible - 90 days anyway - and do search the various train times for different fare options.

You kids are plenty old enough to get involved in planning so I would get them a coupe of guidebooks - one the Let's Go Student Guide to London - so they can help pick out what they want to see most.

Definitely include the Tower, Westminster Abby and I think the Museum of London (from Roman London to present day) would give them a great background so they have some perspective on what they are reading. Also check out above and a couple of other sites for info on best childrens sights in London.

Our DDs - 11 and 14 - loved Covent Garden and they shopped it twice while we looked in a t a couple of galleries.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 04:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Any recommendations for one night's lodging?<<

Lots -- but we need to know your budget.

Taking a morning train (you'll gain an hour so it doesn't need to be a REALLY early train) - dropping your bags at the hotel and taking a late afternoon r early evening train back to Paris the next day (you lose that hour going back) will give you almost two full days for sightseeing. You can squeeze in a lot in that time w/o running ragged.
Old Nov 15th, 2015, 05:24 PM

Eurostar tickets for your dates are on sale now, so for the best prices, you need to book as soon as you seen from on which dates you'll be in London.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 12:43 AM

The very earliest trains tend to be "business man's specials" and packed with people going for work, therefore more expensive. Look at trains after 9 or so and before 3 the next day. They may have the best fares and give you 24+ hours on the ground.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 03:35 AM

Look on the SNCF/Eurostar website for the "calendar of good buys" or something like that (I use the French site). You can pull up the whole list of trains running on a given day and compare prices to get the best deal.

I would stay in London overnight - leave Paris as early as you can get a decent fare and come back on the latest train with a good price. Paris is a lot smaller than London is - you'll need to concentrate your time and energy if you want to see a lot in London. An Oyster card would probably be a good idea or a HOHO bus.

You might check out the "train + hotel" option on the Eurostar site. Sometimes there are good deals, but pay attention to the location.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input - I think we'll definitely stay one night. I've done more research on Paris and really know very little about London, so I'd love any specific location recommendations for lodging (Lodging budget would be £200-250 for the night in London).
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 04:11 AM

Look at Bloomsbury; not far from St Pancras, close to British Museum. Myhotel Bloomsbury is nice, but don't know if they have triple rooms.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 07:57 AM

I think it's a great idea. Our kids love London. I definitely think they should help you plan - different kids will like different things. One thing I would think about is going to a play or musical. Our kids have really enjoyed the ones we've seen there.

We've also had good luck staying at Premier Inns in London. They have family rooms & while they are not luxury, they've all been clean & comfortable. If you look up their web site, you'll see they have several right in the center of London.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 08:01 AM

Oh, I forgot to say that our kids liked hanging out in Trafalgar Square. There are always people making chalk paintings, dancing, silly statues, groups of students from different countries, etc.

And, of course, taking the bus somewhere just to get the chance to sit on the top level at the front!
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Premier Inns are wonderful for families since rooms will sleep two adults and up to 2 children under 16. and their rates are well under your budget.

This one is literally across the road from the Eurostar train station -- but it is a busy location. The windows are all double glazed so noise shouldn't be an issue though.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/K...cross?cmp=GLBC

This one is in a great location not far from the British Museum.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/L...lborn?cmp=GLBC

And this one is in the very center of the city close to Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and a ton of theatres

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/L...quare?cmp=GLBC
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 11:24 AM

https://www.travelodge.co.uk/uk/london/hotels-in-london

Travel Lodges are like Premier Inns - try one in Covent Garden - a great location but any within London proper would be OK - the Premier Inn opp Euston station is in a great location for walking to many things though it is a busy busy street with little neighborhood character you'll find in many other areas like around the British Museum.

Both TL and Premier Inns will guarantee you have a modern room with modern plumbing and all the usual acctouerments of a nice but not fancy hotel. Great value IME - I've stayed in LLs but not Premier Inns however.
Old Nov 16th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Travelodges are fine but are down-market/more basic than Premier Inns. That is why I didn't recommend them for you. Your budget is generous enough that you might not even need to stay at a Premier Inn.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:38 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...n_England.html

Travelodge is downmarket for janis maybe but perfectly well suited for many - the ones I've stayed in would be rather like a Holiday Inn back home IME.

Just in case the use of 'down market'implies to you like it did to me - not very nice. All the ones I've stayed in are perfectly modern and perfectly adequate - London is one of the most expensive cities in the world - you do not need to pay nearly that much for hotels as you budgeted but other expenses will be much much higher than you dreamed.

anyway just wished to clarify the 'down market' comment - which I think implied terrible which they are not IME of staying in several. IBIS too have nice hotels in London that some would call 'down market' - http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml - one is right by St Pancras station where your Eurostar train comes in from London - nifty for that. Out of train and into hotel and into London with little precious time wasted.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 01:51 PM

>>Travelodge is downmarket for janis maybe but perfectly well suited for many - the ones I've stayed in would be rather like a Holiday Inn back home IME.<<

Pal: I've stayed in <u>many</u> UK travelodges (as recently as this past August) - you?. (They are not al all like Holiday Inns BTW)

It is just that I wouldn't consider them when I have a budget in the £200-£250 range. Someone prepared to pay up to that would be very VERY disappointed to arrive at the travelodge and find it doesn't even have an actual lobby.

I recommend travelodges a lot on here -- but I try to post advice that fits the OP/plans/situation -- not just rolling out the same info for everyone.

A premier Inn will be a little up market from a travelodge but still not posh.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 02:16 PM

With a budget of £ 200/250, you can do much better than Travel Lodge. Have a look at www.booking.com and plug in dates along with number of people ( kids ages ). Also try The Kensington Hotel www.kenhouse.com I've stayed there and it's a good location just off Kensington High Street and next to Kensington Park. Much better than a T.L. Luna and Simone in Pimlico is another option. I believe they have a triple.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Check out St. Ermin's Hotel. It is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection, really well located (not far from the Palace) and has a rich history. It's under 200 GBP per night. Alternatively, you could stay at the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel right at the station for the top end of your budget. Another historical property and would save you taxi money to and from the station.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Have stayed at the Renaissance and I'd be very surprised if you can get a triple in your price range. If you can go for it.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all these suggestions. Since our lodging is free in Paris, I'm willing to splurge a little for this one night.
Old Nov 17th, 2015, 03:26 PM

It must have been a while since you stayed at either

>>Check out St. Ermin's Hotel. It is part of Marriott's Autograph Collection, really well located (not far from the Palace) and has a rich history. It's under 200 GBP per night.<<

The cheapest room for 3 at the St Ermins is £299 for March 22-23.

>>Alternatively, you could stay at the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel right at the station for the top end of your budget.<<

Not close - for 3 they would require a junior suite and the cheapest is nearly £400 a night in March. Booking.com does show a double w/ rollaway in the modern Barlow wing available for those dates for $454/£300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -