Search

Costa del sol area Malaga, Marbella. Maybe Granada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa del sol area Malaga, Marbella. Maybe Granada

Hi everyone..
Possible trip in August 7th-14th in this region, instead of the Caribbean . What to see, do, stay.. Would it be responsible to squeeze in Granada too. All your help would be appreciated. I will be traveling with my mom.

Lily
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 04:34 AM

You need to be prepared for incredible heat in that area in midsummer - temps routinely top 100 inland and the coast isn't much less.

I would just pick someplace else with a decent beach - with better weather.

We were in that area in April and the temps were plenty hot enough for beach weather - well into the 80s.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 03:35 PM

If you want to go to the Costa del Sol, try to stay in Marbella - I say "try" because hotels could be full up. A visit to Granada/the Alhambra is mandatory - again, if tickets are available. You'll also will want to have a look at Malaga and perhaps Ronda. Good luck !!
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 05:23 PM

For Granada, easiest is to get a bus tour that runs from each resort, which includes entry into Alhambra complex. Very widely advertised.
It's hot and is the peak of peak season, so expect heavily-booked hotels, crowded beaches, restaurants, roads and high prices.
If you want more Spanish resorts, slightly less crowded and less costly, I suggest the coast east of Malaga in towns like Nerja and Almunecar. From there it's only an hour to Granada, and for a cooler climate you can explore the Sierra Nevada mountain range.
Old Jun 8th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much ;o all your help.
Old Jun 9th, 2014, 05:38 AM

Recommend 3000 years old Málaga city itself, genuine Andalusian atmosphere and very much to offer in terms of food, wine, shopping, history, culture, nightlife, etc etc. "Secret Spanish pleaures": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalis...pleasures.html

Go to Pedregalejo just east of the city center for the Acacias beaches and numerous seafront restaurants, all very popular with locals. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/beaches.htm

Or small Nerja, some 30 miles east of Málaga city:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trondjs/3735908317/
http://www.nerjatoday.com/

Free and delicious tapas to choose with every drink of whatever in most restaurants and tapas bars in Nerja for some 1,50-2€. Here's a suggestion for a good tapas run in the charming Nerja Old Town. http://www.nerjatoday.com/barsandrestaurants/run-one/
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:10 AM

Did anyone mention how hot it is going to be?
Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:26 AM

We are in Córdoba right now and it's 36°C (97F). August must be unbearbly hot here. Granada (last week) was a bit less warm (32C). Málaga (last week also) was perfect (between 25-28C). It's on the coast, so there's more oxygen in the air.

I was pleasantly surprised by Málaga. It's a clean city, completely renovated, with good infrastructure. Nice public parks, a few monuments to visit and excellent shopping. The beach in Málaga (La Malagueta) isn't very attractive. I second kimhe's suggestion for Pedregalejo. Have tapas at Pez Tomillo (reservation required).

Avoid Marbella. I was so disappointed! It's 30 years ago since we were there last, and it has become awfully touristy, but then in a bad way. I won't bother to go there again.

@kimhe
We're going to Arte y Sabores (flamenco) in one and a half hour. From what I saw earlier today it looks very, very charming. It's in a 10th century Arab bath and it's small and intimate. Can't wait!