Reload this Page >

London theatre suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 04:32 PM
J Grant

Hi. I'm looking for any suggestions for any plays currently on in London. I'm not much of a musical or dance fan but do love small theatre, comedy and opera. I've seen Mama Mia here in the US and it was fantastic! <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 10:22 PM
Andy

try going to theatertickets.com--you may need the google search--or you can see if Edwards and Edwards .com or Applause.com have up to the minute London postings

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 10:37 PM
Ursula

JGrant: have a look at <BR> <BR>www.timeout.com

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:58 AM
Simone

At www.allthingsbritish.com there are several links to theatre websites. Also, under 'newspapers' on the same website, there is a link to the Evening Standard which covers the theatre. <BR>I would suggest calling the theatre directly or using UK Ticketmaster (cheaper than in the States) to book your tickets instead of a booking agent that charges up to 30% over the cost of the ticket. Don't forget, you can often get tickets for half-price by showing up at the box office 1/2 hour before showtime if there are seats available. I saw 7 plays in 4 days in London in May, booked 4 before I left (and really needn't).

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try Les Mis...I hear the new female lead is absolutely amazing. Must be the family she is from.

Enjoy...

Ivory
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:27 PM

Uh - Ivory, JGrant asked this question THREE years ago. Not very likely he is still looking for suggestions.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Airlawgirl

Duhhh!

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Had seen most of the &quot;big&quot; plays, so saw Rattle of a Simple Man at the Comedy Theatre last month. We really enjoyed it.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:48 AM

I'm going to London next month to visit my sister. There is a production of Tennessee Williams' &quot;Suddenly Last Summer&quot; at the Drury Lane with Diana Rigg. It's supposed to be fantastic. As it's been open awhile tickets are easy to come by. Try londontheatre.com, or visit the 1/2 price ticket booth at Leicester Square when you get there.

Also, try anything at the National Theatre or, for something you won't get elsewhere, a production at Shakespeare's Globe.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:42 AM

Hi,

I just returned from a trip to the UK. I saw three plays when I was there - one that I would HIGHLY recommend is 'The Shining City'. It is by the same playwright who wrote 'The Weir' (that was in NY several years ago).

This play also had phenomenal reviews in local papers when I was there - The Observer, etc.

I also saw Tennessee Williams play -'Something about last summer'. I enjoyed it but it did not stand out as much as 'The Shining City'.

Oh yeah - since you list Mama Mia (a musical) - you may like Phantom of the Opera. I never saw the production in the UK, but if you have not seen it, interesting story, music, theatrical effects, etc.

HAve fun.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:44 PM

If you're going to be in London then I would highly recommend gonig to Shakespeare's Globe. Currently, they are performing two plays, Romeo &amp; Juliet and Much Ado About Nothing. I have seen both and they were each excellent in their own right. Yet if I had to choose one, I would try to see Romeo and Juliet.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:11 PM

London Theatre seems to be in the Doldrums at the moment...but some highlights.
Hamlet at the Old Vic -
The Goat (weird story but very good!)
Dirty Blonde (Mae West Story -mixed reviews but I thought it was fun!)
Suddenly Last Summer - very well acted
Shining City - very good (good reviews as well!)

If you want some opinions and more listings try www.whatsonstage.com

Have fun whatever you do!

I would suggest trying (the official!) ticket booth in Leicester Sq (be careful a lot of rip off ones have sprung up!)