Search

London theatre

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
London theatre

I'll be in London in May and love the theatre. Wondering how far in advance theatres release new shows/tickets. I've found shows on in May but will there be a lot more available in the next few months?

Also which websites do you use to see what's on?

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.londontheatredirect.com/discounts
Some very interesting ballet and some plays that look to be very interesting. We have not purchased from this site, so can speak for prices, but it has a good website.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Mar 17th, 2024 at 03:16 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Few new things will be opening in May. It will mostly be either be the long running shows or the end of those that had limited runs starting in Jan/Feb. So what you see available now will be 95% of what is running then.

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:00 PM

I like this online magazine for seeing what shows and reviews. https://www.timeout.com/london/theatre

You can also look at the individual theater websites to see what is on or is coming up. My favorites in London beyond West End are the National Theater, Old Vic, Young Vic and Royal Court theaters.

But there is always quite a range available and various kinds of venues. The last time I was there saw Shakespeare's Julius Caesar in the St Paul's church in Covent Garden (also known as the "Actors" church).

Enjoy the planning!
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is really useful info. I've been to most of the well known shows, some multiple times. Parts of Les Mis still make me cry. There are a couple of new plays (new to me) that I'll check if any tickets are available. In the past there has been music in the evenings at St Martin-in-the-Fields, I'll check that out. I've just remembered that years ago we went to a jazz evening in the Crypt. A good memory
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:30 PM

There's a new musical, Operation Mincemeat, that gets rave reviews. Have not seen it yet.
The Regents Park Open Air theatre is doing Twelfth Night in May. It's a great place to spend an evening if the weather is good. You can eat there as well.
And there's Ian McKellen in Player Kings, short run so could sell out.
For last minute discounts on the day: https://officiallondontheatre.com/tkts/
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:45 AM

Last week we purchased a few tickets for Les Mis and Six in July. I'm glad we got them in advance. We prefer the isle seats, and there were only a few left. Also, it was nice to know their day-off schedule so we could plan around their schedules. We used the London Theater District discount website Sassafrass recommended.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Just a quick thank you to all for the links and ideas. There is such an amazing choice of shows. I watched the movie of Operation Mincemeat and was surprised when I enjoyed it. It did not sound like something I'd like and the title put me off (I know that's silly). I haven't come across it yet as a theatre production but still exploring.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 01:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KayF
. . . I haven't come across it yet as a theatre production but still exploring.

If you mean Operation Mincemeat -- it is running at the Fortune Theatre. I saw it back in Nov (the Fortune is where the Woman in Black ran for decades)