Search

London Theater

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 08:39 AM
Jackie

London Theater

Could someone please tell me how to make arrangements for London Theater Tickets from the states? Any recommendations would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks. <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 11:25 AM
wes fowler

Jackie, <BR>Check the website www.whatson.com You can check reviews, seating plans, listings of most popular productions, opening and closing dates and if you desire, order tickets, though I personally would wait til arrival in London then check the half price booth in Leicester Square or the theatre box office for returns or cancellations. You won't get favorable prices ordering from the States and you'll pay a premium on top if you do.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 11:52 AM
bo_jack

We have used two different ways -- both successfully. 1) Get access to a major London Sunday Newspaper either at a library or a good bookstore; find performances you want to see; call the theater directly and purchase tickets with a credit card. You can make arrangements either to pick them up at the theater or have them mailed. To pick them up, you will need to show the credit card used for the purchase -- so be sure to carry it with you. <BR>2) The following is a reliable ticket agent http://www.theatredirect.com/. Get their 800 number from the web site; office is in NYC. We have used them for performances both in London and in NYC and have never been disappointed. <BR>Obviously, the earlier and the more flexible you are -- the better your chance of getting good seats.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Lori

Jackie, <BR>I've called the theaters directly on some occasions and ordered seats via credit card. I've also used Ticketmaster, UK. They have a great website as well, and you can order via the web (altho I phoned). I've also used Edwards & Edwards Ticket Agency and they have a toll free number (sorry I can't find it at the moment). All three methods worked great, altho I prefer to call the theater box office directly. With each of these methods we ordered tickets for dates we wanted, got seats within the first three rows in the stalls (what we call orchestra) with minimum bother. While people recommend the 1/2 price ticket booth in Leicester Sq. we find we prefer to order tickets in advance for what we want to see. Likewise with going to the theater the day of the performance hoping to get a ticket,it's a bother unless you have nothing else to do and I can't imagine that in London! Knowing you have tickets in advance allows you to plan a bit more I think, but that is a personal choice, not everyone things that way and that's OK!. There is another ticket agency, Albemarle, in the UK that has seating plans of all the theaters too on the web. I print off the plan, call the theater and know exactly what I am getting. Works every time! Incidentlly, the prices we just paid for our Spring 2000 trip for tickets to The Lion King, Momma Mia and Fosse were less than what we normally pay here in the states to see a show, and that included the "service charge" and we have seats within the first 3 rows for all). The rates are a bit higher with the agencies but again, you know what you are getting and when and can make plans to do other things with your time then try and get tickets in London.

Old Oct 18th, 1999, 12:52 PM
lisa

Check out www.playbill.com.