Search

London Taxis

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 09:53 AM
michele

London Taxis

quick question... what is the going rate for taxi service in london and how reliable is it?

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 02:42 PM
anna

The classic black cabs are expensive and slow in traffic compared to the Tube, but the drivers are the only people in London who know where anything is. Therefore, if you know where you're going, take the Tube. If not and you can afford it, take a cab. Rates start at a minimum of £5 ($8) just to start off and go upwards from there depending on how far you go.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:00 PM
kamn

I agree with the above. The black cabs are terrific (and some are no longer black!!) The drivers have to pass an extensive exam to get their license and take pride in knowing where everything is. If your time is valuable and you don't know where something is, definitely take a cab!! In rush hour traffic, nothing moves quickly in London except the Tube. <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 10:22 AM
Aj

The fare of 5 pounds minimum sounds a little high fo a London cab, unless the fare have skyrocketed in the last year. <BR> <BR> Regardless, the London cabbie is absolutly trustworthy. I don't believe I've ever been overcharged by a London cabbie who took a longer route just to jack up the fare. In fact, I remember one cabbie who kept apologising beause he had to take a detour due to a parade. <BR> <BR> However, beware the gypsy cabbie who pops up at the train stations and grabs your bags and takes you on a long route a block away, where his private car is parked. He's not a real cabbie. The real mccoy cab driver is not allowed to leave his vehicle and his cab will always have a meter. The other guys don't and will take advantage of your general malaise after a long trip and cheat you. I keep writing about this racket because,obviously, I got caught once--and am still bitter. <BR> <BR> Stay out of the tube at rush hour (as you would at any public transporation anywhere), Another great advantage of the tube pass is that you don't have to buy tickets, standing in line at a machine or a window. If you do buy a ticket (or a pass) hang on to it because when you get to the end of the trip, there are guys waiting to take your ticket and you get delayed if you don't have it. (Some of the updated stations have machines that take the ticket--but you have to have one. You don't see people hopping the turnstiles, as in New York.) <BR> <BR> London is crowded, to be sure, but not in the frantic getouttamyway of New York. Strolling is a nice option in London, unlike New York. <BR> <BR> --Aj

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 11:51 AM
Rod Hoots

Spent three days in London with my wife in June and took cabs everywhere. Most of the trips did not cost five pounds, don't know where that came from. You must be sure to take the metered "black" cabs to avoid gypsies. Have been using London cabs for many years and find them, because the drivers are so helpful and well informed, the best in the world. For example, we were going from our hotel to a destination on the other side of Buckingham Palace when we saw the changing of the guard ceremony beginning to form up. At our request, the driver stopped, told us about the ceremony and where to stand for best viewing, and dropped us off with no griping about not going to our original destination.

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 09:03 PM
Julie

Agree with Rod. After touring Europe with the last stop, London, we certainly appreciated the taxis (and the drivers) in London. The taxis are huge & uniquely styled, manufactured specifically by a company who specializes in making their taxis. They seat 5 with no problem, 2-3 in the rear seat and 2 pull-down seats facing the rear, if needed. They are becoming quite interesting with different colors, rather than the standard black. <BR>The drivers we had were gentlemen and superb. Several were quite proud to offer information on their wonderful city and even just the ride from the train station to our hotel was a mini-tour as the driver started telling us things about the infamous sights we passed, and we especially enjoyed their viewpoint of royalty, and living in London. Our driver told us a cute story on how he saw the Queen Mum the other day and she waved at him and others while going out one morning, "a fine lady", he said. <BR>The rates start out a bit high for short trips, but in the long run, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. They didn't charge for additional passengers as in Paris, weren't difficult to hail, and were friendly. Well worth the money if you need one because if you want to get to several places after you've seen what is above ground, try the Tube, the underground subway system. Very easy to use and fast way to get around and more economical. You can buy a pass that lets you ride the double-decker buses, too. All excellent ways to get around, depending on your need. Have fun, we loved it!

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 09:27 PM
Aj

Re: Taxi fares. The report earlier of 5 pounds for a basic fare is wrong. A friend in London says the drop-of-flag fare when you get into the cab is 1 pound 50 pence, or about $2.25 to $2.50. That's what you'd pay in any major city in the U.S.--and the London cabs are always clean, the drivers speak English, and always polite. <BR> <BR>BTW, the British Tourist Authority has a quite good 'web page. -Aj

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 06:47 AM
Nick

You're quite right, the standard fare when a black cab picks you up is £1.50. However, after midnight it's £2.00. You're charged 50p per eight of a mile on the metre. <BR>London cab drivers are required by law to take a 2 year training programme called "The Knowledge". Not only do they take a practical test, but they are required to memorise the location of something like 10,000 London streets! <BR>When you're over here, you'll often see guys on motor scooters with huge maps stuck to a board in front of them - that's doing The Knowledge. <BR>Cabbies are represented by a governing body that you can contact if you have any problems. <BR>Americans seems far more successful at hailing cabs than most Londoners - whilst Londoners will stand on street corners patiently waiting, the Yanks just jump and whistle their heads off! Word of advice - it's not New York, don't ever jump someone else's cab, you will be extremely embarressed when the cab driver refuses to take you in place of the customer that hailed him down. <BR>Nick, London. <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 08:00 AM
Parrot Mom

Nick-how far by cab is St. Pancras Station from Russell Square--if we need to catch a 7:30 a.m. train to Derby would we be better off going the tube or catching a cab <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 09:21 AM
wes fowler

Parrot Mom, <BR>It's a relatively short distance from Russell Square to St Pancras Station; ten blocks at most. It's one stop on the Piccadilly Line from Russell Square. <BR>Cab or tube is a toss-up. The cab will have vehicular traffic to cope with on Euston Road and Woburn Place at that hour. While the Russell quare tube stop has a lift to the train platform, you're probably in for a bit of a walk and stairs at St Pancrass since six train lines converge there. The more I write, the more I think a cab, called for by your hotel,is the way to go!

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 01:31 PM
Kim

Quote from our London cab driver when I said I was nervous [He didn't know that I meant I was nervous about being on time for our plane flight but his comment was still great.] "Why are you nervous? You are in the safest place in the world in a London cab. I know where I'm going and I speak English." <BR>