London/Scotland/Paris Trip

Jan 12th, 1997, 06:18 PM
Michelle Turner

London/Scotland/Paris Trip

I am curious as to how long your trip is going to be and was wondering how you plan to travel between countries. One thing you may want to bring with you is a self-contained toothbrush which doesn't require water to use. The water in the bathrooms on the trains is not for drinking.

I'm not sure if you have travelled to Europe before, but get ready to PAY for water (even tap) wherever you go.

Don't be afraid of the Parisians. Rumor has it that they don't like Americans. I was treated with great respect in Paris and I do not speak French. I found that please and thank you, an effort to speak French, and politeness go a long way.

I'm not sure where you are from, but once you've seen one big city, you've seen enough. I thought the people in London were very nice, but the city is very dirty. Paris was absolutely beautiful, but I wished my fiance was with me at the time (and not my girl friend). Plan to spend at least a day at the Louvre and get plenty of rest before you go. Mona Lisa is not that impressive.

Jan 12th, 1997, 06:43 PM
Donna

The best thing to bring is a raincoat with a hood (so you don't need an umbrella). You can fill the pockets with useful things and it is a handy extra layer and no trouble to carry around. I was so happy to have mine with me. While in Paris, be sure to go to the Musee d'Orsay. Also, even though it's a "tourist thing" take the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It is spectacular, especially if you go a dusk so are there before and after dark. You will love it.

Jan 12th, 1997, 06:44 PM
Donna

The best thing to bring is a raincoat with a hood (so you don't need an umbrella). You can fill the pockets with useful things and it is a handy extra layer and no trouble to carry around. I was so happy to have mine with me. While in Paris, be sure to go to the Musee d'Orsay. Also, even though it's a "tourist thing" take the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It is spectacular, especially if you go a dusk so are there before and after dark. You will love it.

Jan 15th, 1997, 09:56 AM
Ann

I am an expatriate livign in Norway, and I have traveled to all of these cities. I also lived in Aberdeen, Scotland for a year. I'll just give you a few breif comments about all...For Scotland: definetly do Edinburgh...it's very walkable with the train station right in the heart of the city. It's only a short walk to Edinburgh castle, and also nice shopping on Princess Street. If you are a golf fan, you must take the short train trip to St. Andrews. Even if you aren't I think it's a quaint Scottish village. And also in Scotland there is a castle on every street corner, especially in the Aberdeen area. If you choose only one don't miss Dunnater castle in Stonehaven. It's really ruins, but it over looks a cliff and has a breath taking veiw of the North Sea. (It's also where Mel Gibson filmed Hamlet.) And one final note on Scotland , I wouldn't bother with Glaslow. Just another industrialized big city.

On to London, I've been several times and it's probably the closest thing to the U.S. in Europe. Best for shopping and West End theater. Honestly, the only tourist thing I really enjoyed was The Tower of London, because it had great tours with interesting historical stories told.

As far as Paris, I have been once but am plannong a trip with my family next month. I did all the tourist things and LOVED every bit of it, with the possible exception of the Louve. Musee D'Orsay much, much, much better. And I also highly reccommend the Rodin Museum. I was there for 4 days and barely scratched the surface! One word of advice take a card with the name of your hotel with you at all times. We had one in our group get lost and didn't know the name of the hotel.

Feb 10th, 1997, 09:25 AM
Bill

I have been to the top of many towers, arch's, & buildings, but
the most beautifil view I have ever had was at the top
of Calton Hill in Edinburgh, Scotland, over looking the
Firth of Forth & the City. If you want to expeience an overnight
train trip & save some time - take the night train from
London to Edinburgh.

A favorite thing to do from London, is take a day trip to
Portsmouth to tour the HMS Victory (warship sailed by
Lord Nelson) & the Mary Rose ( a ship from Heny VIII time).

In Paris, going to see the archeological ruins under
the front square of Notre Dame, where Paris started, dating
back to Roman times.

Great Castles are located everywhere. My favorites are
Warwick, Dover, Caerphilly & Chepstow(in Wales), & Edinburgh.

But don't just experience the sites, also try to experience
the people. Pubs & Side walk cafes are great for that. &
with alittle bit understanding & initiative on your
part, the people of Paris are just as outgoing &
cooperative as anywhere else (Personally, I have found
people in Germany to be more harsh than Paris).

Enjoy.