Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Restaurants with Kids-Actual Experience?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we're headed off to London in a few weeks with our 5 year old. I've read endless guidebooks with recommendations of restaurants suitable for small kids, and now have a good list. That said, my experience has been that nothing replaces people's actually going to these places. So, I'd welcome anyone's recommendations of good places to go, based on having actually been there!

Many Thanks,

Mike
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:55 AM

I assume you have decided to avoid the "usual" chain type places at all costs such as MacDonald's, Subway, Pret-A-Manger, etc.?????

If so, it might be helpful to have a look at that list of yours so we know what kinds of places you have in mind.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Which restaurants are on your list? This summer, I had a good list, too, but none of the places was ever convenient. My kids liked eating the kids' lunch in the atrium of the British Museum. I liked the Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin's in the Field and any of the places in Covent Gardens, which were all "kid-friendly." Otherwise, we picnic'd in Kensington Park with takeout McDonald's or Burger King for the kids, and fish and chips or sushi for Mom and Dad. I would avoid purchasing food at the stand in Princess Diana's Garden, as it was very pricey and not very good.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi, many thanks for the responses. The usual fast-food outlets are indeed a known quantity, so no need to include them! ;-)

From previous trips, I agree that Pret a Manager & the cafe at St. Martin's would be good choices (the latter esp. after some brass rubbing). There are Hard Rock Cafe's here at home, so no need to include them.

So, here's a partial list so far (in no particular order). A number of these have recieved mediocre reviews, though (hence my query!):

Belgo Centraal
Giraffe
Rainforest Cafe (very mixed reviews!)
Marine Ices (bit far out)
Smollensky's
Tootsies
Patisserie Valerie (for breakfast & treats)
Cafe Uno
Nando's (most appear to be somewhat farther out, though)
Carluccio's Cafe
Blue Kangaroo (not close to where we'll be)
Ponti's
cafe/restaraunts at the various museums (e.g. Science, Nat. Hist., British, etc.)
Cafe Rouge
Mela
Porter's English Restaurant (poor reviews)
Wagamama (mixed reviews)

Any new suggestions or comments on the above, greatly appreciated!

Mike
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:49 AM

We've eaten at Belgo lots with our boys. It is good and very kid friendly. The waiters will walk a crying / whining child and show them the kitchen.

I don't care for the Rainforest, too chainy / loud. Never tried Smollensky's, Blue Kangaroo or the Giraffe but they are always on my list.

Cafe Uno is good, although we enjoy Pizza Express more. Pizza Express is one of our UK staples -- there is always one nearby and it is tasty and offers something for kids and adults.

Cafe Rouge is ok, although we don't seek it out.

We like Wagamamas, my kids would live on rice and noodles. We also like Yo Sushi, it is quick and fun and always loud enough that you don't notice a child.

We like the Chelsea Kitchen. We've also had some great meals with the kids by just looking around while we explore. Overall, London is pretty easy to eat out with kids.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:06 AM

You will have a great time with your 5 year old. Even though you have crossed Mcdonald's off your list, you may just want to pop in to watch everybody eating french fries with a fork. I agree with several of the comments cocerning the crypt in St. Martin's in the Field. The kids and parents both loved it. It's also centrally located.

We picnicked quite a bit and this allowed us to let the kids run around some and not have to sit in a restaurant for every meal. There are some great parks and green spaces in London. Our kids particulary enjoyed the Priness Diana playground in Kensington Gardens. Covent Gardens was also a big hit for everybody. We all enjoyed the entertainment and the stores.

Check out the family museum tours at several of the museums. They were excellent. The guides would clear everybody out of the way allowing the kids to sit on the floor in front of the exhibit and spoke to the level of every child present. Our kids (4 and 7) wanted to go on a tour everyday. You will have a blast. There is also a good kids book about kid friendly places in london by Fodor's (i believe) This was a great resource.

Last comment. The kidsloved eating outside at the Anchor pub on the river.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the input - it's really helpful! I'm sure our son will somehow finagle his way into a McDonald's at some point, but we'll do what we can to avoid it!

prhirsch, which museums offer the family tours? That's something our guy would really like.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nando's is terrific! They're all over London, not far out. Here's a couple in W1:

10 Frith Street W1 (Soho)
57 Goodge Street

And to Pastisserie Valerie, I would add Amato Pastisseria. There's one near PV on Old Compton Street.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:25 AM

Sorry for possibly being rude, but your list is very heavy on chains and drab food. Belgo, carluccios, Patisserie valerie and Wagamama would be worth trying. The others not so good. Pizza in London is ok or bad. Not worth it during a vacation in my opinion. Marine Ices is fairly good (great ice cream) but totally out of the way for you. Giraffe has good food, but is overpriced for the quality and portion size.
Fish! is good. Lemonia in Primrose Hill is out of the way, but has great Greek food and very kid friendly. Yo! Sushi is a lot of fun with kids. They do have some cooked food- shrimp(prawns) and chicken that comes around on the belt or can be ordered.
Caldesi off the Marlybone High Street serves great Italian food. More upscale than your list, but kid friendly. Would be good for a special night.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Sticky Fingers in Kensington is very popular with kids. We had a good lunch there on a Saturday, and I got the impression is was THE place for yuppie Daddies to take their little ones on Saturday. Everybody was having a ball. As adults only we felt a little out of place, but had a good meal anyway.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM

otawacanuck. The best tours for kids were in the national gallery. They may only offer the children's tours on weekends,unless your vacation coinsides with the british school vacations. The tate museums also had tours in addition to various games and art back packs for the kids. Checkout their websites. The british museum also does a great job catering to children. They offer multiple tours at the same time so spend some time scanning thier schedules. The British museum has the largest collection of egyptian antiquities outside of Egypt, so your little guy might this interesting. we got our kids interested by reading the Magic Tree House books about Egypt to them. The Natural History Museum was also totally geared towards kids, but was also loaded with school groups. Some of the museums have evening hours(and tours) and you practically have the place to yourself. Hambley's toy store was also very popular with our kids and we could go in the evening.

There is so much to love about London from a 5 year old perspective. even taking a bus or tube ride is a great experience. have fun
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:22 AM
LFC

I know you are coming here on holiday but the cafes and restaurants that Ottawacanuck has mentioned are awful, in my honest opinion. The only one that is worth trying, which, I have is Carluccio's, very good food but prices to go with it. Smollensky's is just one big rip off. Why not try places like China town or Soho or covent garden, right next to one another, french, italian, arabic japanese, steak, fish and chips, you can eat very cheaply or expensively. Further a field in Edgware, north London, there is a place called YEOMAN plaza, all types of South East Asian foods there and a play area for children, Brick Lane in East London for Indian food or Spitall field Market on Sunday's which has a mass array of different and organic food. Ottawacanuck please tell me where you are staying and I'll try and help you out!!!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions! Some of you have mentioned that some of the places I listed are touristy, awful or rip-offs, that's exactly why I asked! I have no idea if these places are good, bad or indifferent, and am always worried that we'll show up at places, only to find hordes of other tourists clutching the same guide books ;-)

If there are other, good suggestions I should consider instead, please do let me know. For all those that have suggested alternatives - again, many thanks.

LFC - we will be staying in Knightsbridge - on Pont Street, a few blocks from Harrods as it turns out. If you know of places in the vicinity, please do let me know.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM

I have two grandkids (5 and 8 years old) who have lived in London all their lives and love Nando's and Wagamama. They also like shopping in Borough Market (the most incredible, expensive marshmallows from France) and even like the (kinda expensive) fish restaurant there. You see food stuff in the market that you do not see anywhere else. The fish stalls are better than an aquarium. Pizza Express is everywhere in London and is a good last resort. FYI..we are seeing Mary Pippins this coming Wednesday. Very big this year. If you haven't done the Lion King we all loved it. A formal afternoon tea with the girls has been a flop. They didn't really like the sandwiches or the sweets. They love the London Zoo, Transportation Museum, the playgrounds in the parks. Ice cream is sold in all the parks and getting it with a chocolate stick on it (I forget the name) is considered a big treat. Wonderful book stores in London with the best kids books. But London has lots of walking for a 5 year old. You should have a great time. My grandkids have done amazing amounts of traveling all over Europe, Asia, Africa and the US, and are fab on planes, but the time changes are tough on them. They do get tired. You might want to arrange a babysitter one or two evenings so you can do some adult stuff. By the way, good timing, next week is half-term and all the kid stuff will be mobbed.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM

Mike--Wondered if you were back and would give a report on restaurants that worked for your 5-year old (before I ask the same question and risk the ire of the group!!)

thanks,

Mary in D.C.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM

My kids (now teenagers) love Pizza Express. It's the first place they want to eat when we go to London. They are also very accomodating to little kids. I personally like the wood-fired thin crusts pizzas there, and the ambiance is much nicer than its name implies. My kids (and I) also really enjoy going to Belgo. Be sure to go to get their "Beat the Clock" special. I think it's weekdays between 5:30 and 7 pm (but you should check). You pay for what time you order. So if you arrive at 6 pm, one of their dinners from a set menu is 6 GBP (that includes a drink). One of their options is very good roasted chicken, which my son likes.

Have a great time. Also, if you're in Chelsea (near Sloane Square), stop at Gelateria Valerie for some yummy gelato.

Susan
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:19 PM

Susan--glad to hear Pizza Express is still going strong--went there (now) years ago and I thought the food was good!

Since it sounds like you go to London alot (?) do you have a favorite place to stay?

Thanks,

Mary

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:16 PM

We usually rent an apartment in Chelsea through londonguestsuites.com. (property #70) It's gotten really expensive lately, though, with the lousy exchange rate. We love the location and it makes it feel like we're living in a real neighborhood. We also like having 2 bathrooms, a small kitchen and a washer/dryer.

Susan
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM

Thumbs down on Wagama. 13-year-old boy liked Pizza Express (the one near the Tower of London) okay, but much preferred the Pizza Hut on Picadilly. It's very convenient to several theaters, and might be a choice for pre-theater dinner. Don't miss Hamley's toys in Covent Garden, also home of the Transportation Museum and many offbeat buskers our kids loved.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:51 AM

A thumbs up for Wagamama from me. I've never been there with kids myself but they seem to accommodate them very well.

The Covent Garden branch had lots of kids in last time we visited who all seemed to be tucking into the food with gusto.

The general noise level also covers up any general "kid" noise that gets tutted on in other places.

I also like the food - duck gyozas, yum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -