Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Restaurant Recommendations for New Year's Eve?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Hungry for New Year's

The wife and I are in London on New Year's Eve. Is there a restaurant anyone can recommend? How about near Trafalgar Square to watch the crowds cheer the real New Millenium? <BR> <BR>Maybe one that includes dancing (classical or swing, not raves or mosh pits...). <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 01:12 AM
rick

Well, London is planning on having a repeat performance of the celebration that was such a success last year, with another enormous firework display along the river, so some place with a river view would be great. The bad news is that most of the venues that overlook the river, like the Savoy and the OXO tower, are very expensive, and probably are charging extortionate rates for their New Year's Eve parties. Oh well, just a thought.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 03:50 AM
A Local

Opinions on the success of last New Year's firework display vary. Many felt it was over-hyped and the much publicised "river of fire" along the Thames failed to materialise. <BR> <BR>I'd personally avoid Trafalgar Square that night - it does attract large crowds of seriously drunk teenagers which can regrettably result in an ugly atmosphere. <BR> <BR>Many hotels in town will be running special events - usually dinner and dancing afterwards - which might be more your scene.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 12:28 PM
Julian

I find that if you want to stand in the crowds that Parliament Square is better than Trafalgar Square - you can actually see the clock turn midnight and also hear Big Ben. The restaurants always use the New Year as a chance to jack up their prices significantly - a lot of country hotels also cash on New Year breaks. I would use a guide such as hardens.com and book early if you want to go to one of the better restaurants, not all of which will be open. Edinburgh does New Year a lot lot better than London, by the way.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 01:43 PM
nancy

Have spent many New Year's Eves in London and what we've learned may help you. First of all, if you plan to dine/dance anywhere, you'll have to make reservations well in advance. We've usually just eaten fairly early at the pubs. If you don't want to dine/dance, there are shows playing and musical concerts at some churches. I agree with others about mob-scene at Trafalgar Square (many drinkers,even if the police try to stop) Big Ben area is better. One thing to be aware of, in order to manage the crowds, they close many of the Tube stations as you approach midnight, so it can be frustrating to try returning to your hotel.