London Questions

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 07:58 AM
Kathy

London Questions

We've purchased the Lond Visitor Travel Card for zone 1-2 in the US for our trip to London. I guess, after reading some of the questions and answers if this card is the right one. Will be able to board tubes and buses using this card? Would this also have some sort of day tour included?<BR><BR>What time of day does the 1/2 price ticket shop open? The tickets are all for same day performances, aren't they?<BR><BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Bobby

Kathy---<BR>I don't like to be critical, but shouldn't you have asked those questions before buying the Visitor Card? I hope this kind of posting will be a warning to others who read this board: do a little homework before launching off without knowing some of the facts.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:14 AM
Hillary

Kathy:<BR>The travel card for zones 1 & 2 will definitely allow you to travel on the tube. Zones 1 & 2 are in central London, and they will likely cover everything you want to see. I do not know whether you can use it on the bus, but the Tube in London is great. I highly doubt that any tour is included.<BR>hope this helps!<BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:14 AM
carra

your card will get you most places of interest in London. To go to Kew Gardens or RAF Museum in Hendon you will have to purchase an extention for just that trip out of the area. The buses and the tube are both valid with the pass. Buses get stuck in traffic, so try and use the underground when you can. Bus trips are a nice diversion at night if you are tired and want to just sit and ride. this pass does not include a tour. Just go to Picadilly Station and pick up a bus tour your first day to get a good feel of the city. You are allowed to hop on and off at any point all day. Great cheap tour. I usually purchase my theatre tickets prior to my departure, so I can plan the day around the show. Prices are higher,but I like the guarantee! I'm a planner! Have fun! <BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:21 AM
Leslie

Kathy - I'm fairly certain that all the london transport cards include buses, at least ours did last week. We bought day passes. Since you've already purchased your card, don't worry now if it is the right one. I personally found it difficult to figure which was the best card to buy for our situation, especially since the visitor card is priced in dollars and all others are priced in pounds. If you're staying 4 or more days and not over a weekend it's probably the best buy. Even if not, it's much easier to use the card than to have to stop to purchase a ticket for each ride. <BR><BR>Do take at least one ride in those great London taxi's however, perhaps on your first arrival into London.<BR><BR>The official half price theatre ticket booth is in Leischester Square. It is a free-standing building in the square itself. Avoid the others that surround the square. Check their opening time by calling when you arrive. As of last week - it opened at 10:00 am but in the description on the London Tourist Board Website (www.londontouristboard.co.uk) it said 12:00 noon and in some travel books it says 2:00 pm so it is apparently subject to change. Yes, it is for same day tickets for only a specific list of shows being pushed at that time. Some of the more popular shows may not be listed or may be only a 25% discount.<BR><BR>You can buy seats in advance through any of these websites (I found that ticketmaster had the lowest fees):<BR><BR>www.ticketmaster.co.uk<BR>www.offici allondontheatre.co.uk<BR>www.londontheatre.co.uk

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Patrick Wallace

If it has the same functions as the Travel Cards for us London commuters, it will cover bus, tube and surface trains (run by the national rail companies rather than London Transport) within the zones paid for. Zones 1 and 2 will cover central London and most of the inner suburbs. It should also give you one-third off most river boat services as well.<BR>Check out www.londontransport.co.uk.

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 07:43 AM
sylvia

Other people have mentioned it but the best way to buy theatre tickets is to do as the Londoners do. Get a copy of "Time out" or look on one of the many London theatre websites e.g. http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/<BR>http://www.albemarle-london.com/<BR>You can buy tickets via these sites, but I'd use them to look at seating plans and to find out telephone numbers.<BR>Phone the theatre and order tickets using your credit card. When you arrive at the theatre you can pick up your tickets at the box-office. You'll need to show your credit card as proof of ID, but it's as simple as that.