London question / chauffeur services...

Oct 9th, 2001, 10:55 AM
mike

London question / chauffeur services...

Will be landing at LHR. Anyone used Airport Car Services (airportcarservices.co.uk) or London Airport and City Transfers (chauffeur.co.uk)? The London Airport...web site seems a little out of date. Will be going to Hilton/Green Park. Anyone have positive/neg. feedback on the Hilton? Thanks, Mike.

Oct 9th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Patrick

I'm not familiar with either one, but I swear by Swiss Cottage Cars. They have no web site so you need to call -- 44-207-431-2700. They have always been prompt, curteous, helpful -- and less than any rate I could find from any of the internet companies.

Oct 9th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Lori

We've used www.london-transfers.com - Ray Skinner is the owner and he is a great guy to deal with. We've used them coming and going to LHR with no problem, right on time, etc. They used Toyota Previa vans, clean, nice and very comfortable ride.

Can't help you on the hotel, we always rent an apt. Nice area tho.

Welcome back Patrick, you have not been posting for a long while it seems!

Oct 9th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Prue

Mike,
We have just returned from London where we used London Airport Transfers, [email protected] both on arrival and departure from Heathrow.
They were most efficient, used a van to meet us and a sedan when we left. Met us outside Customs on arrival even though our plane was some hours late.
We would recommend them highly.

Oct 10th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Pam

I can second Prue's recommendation - used London Airport Transfers from Gatwick into London. They were waiting for us and the driver was very pleasant.

Oct 10th, 2001, 06:10 AM
Tangata

Ray Skinner offers an excellent service!

Oct 10th, 2001, 11:19 AM
Judy

I have stayed at Hilton/green park many times. It is on Half Moon street,the location is great,right in Mayfair, 2 blocks from Green Park tube entrance, 5 minutes walk to F&M,Green Park just cross the street( nice place for a morning walk). The hotel is O.K., but since many tour groups staying there,it can be quite noisy in the morning,so make sure get a room in the back. The rooms are adquate,a little larger than average London hotel rooms but nothing fancy.The buffet breakfast is very good comparing other hotels.

Oct 10th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Julie

Like Patrick, I'm not familiar with the car services you have listed but have always gone with (for the past 4 years now) Swiss Cottage Cars. They've never let me down and are very reasonably priced for the quality of service they provide. I only wish they had a NYC branch...they're terrific.

Oct 10th, 2001, 03:41 PM
mike

Thank you all for your help. Sounds like most of these people are reputable. Looks like I may be flying into Gatwick now as NWA has DIRECT flights to Gatwick and at less cost than into LHR. And there is an express train from Gatwick, but I may just hire a driver anyway as after a long flight, etc. Unless the train goes all the way to Green Park but I think it stops at Victoria. I assume the train and tube stops are different systems (and that Green Park is not a train stop). I posted another question as to how far, or really how do-able, it would be to walk from Victoria to Green Park. I enjoy walking - will give a trip report re: "walking tours" upon my return - but will have a large, rolling, suitcase, so I wonder if that would be wise. After a flight it is nice to just have a driver meet me. $ no object. 1st trip to London. Psyched. Again, thanks much, M.