Search

London Pub

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:08 AM
greg

London Pub

I am off to London in a few weeks, I have not been there in 18 years so my knowledge is limited. Could anyone give me a few good London pubs to go to, not the tourist trap kind, but places where you go in and say I am in London. I am looking for the counterpart to McSorleys in New York City.<BR>Also, a restaurant to get really good beef.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Dave

While I'm certainly not a native, I just returned from a brief trip to London, and had been given a couple of recomendations from local friends.<BR>You might try the &quot;Cittie of Yorke&quot; pub on Holborn, a few short blocks west of the Holborn tube stop. It's on the north side of the street, and serves a very authentic lunch.<BR>Another of my favorites is the &quot;Beehive&quot; on Crawford St. just a bit west of Baker. Its a much smaller pub, but most of the folks I've seen there have all been locals..<BR>As to the &quot;beef&quot; question, perhaps one of the true locals can be of help! Have a great trip! Best wishes.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Andy

The Flask in Highgate, the Dove on the river in Hammersmith, the Anchor down the other end of the river in Bankside, and the Spaniards Inn in Hampstead. These are all really old historic places that feel authentic and pubby rather than done up for tourists. <BR><BR>IN LONDON:<BR>in Knightsbridge, a couple of minutes walk down Brompton Road from Harrods (towards the Musuems), turn right onto Montpelier Street and there is a great little pub called the Tea Clipper. It's neither too small nor too big and they keep the music pretty low as well.<BR><BR>In the theatre district, you're spoilt for choice. One of funkier ones is the basement of Punch &amp; Judy in Covent Garden; also Marquess of Gransby on Drury Lane

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Shannon

Just returned from a 2-year stint in London and two authentic yet non-touristy pubs that I would recommend are the Windsor Castle (Notting Hill Gate tube) - complete with snugs and beer garden/patio; and the Scarsdale - tiny little place tucked off of Edwards Square in Kensington/Earls Court. Both pubs are in W8 and can also be found on pubsguide.co.uk.<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Ben Haines

To the e-mail copy of this message I am attaching a note I keep on disc of pubs where I like lunch. I am afraid I do not know McSorleys.You will see that upstairs at the Albert, at the Sir Loin, and elsewhere near Smithfield pub restaurants serve good beef, at about 15 pounds the meal, with beer. Atk twenty pounds, before seven pm, Rules restaurant in Covent Garden serves good beef in London?s oldest restaurant. Nearby, on the Strand, Simpsons on the Strand serves classic Scottish beef at about 45 pounds the meal. <BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:57 AM
david west

Re The Anchor in Bankside.<BR><BR>I'm afraid it has been modernised ie ruined. Give it a miss.<BR><BR>The grapes around the corners still traditional though.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:49 PM
daneille

The Mitre, in Craven Road Paddington.<BR><BR>a lovely warm little pub where you can easily while away a rainy afternoon.<BR><BR>Separate rooms so it doesn't seem like a &quot;barn&quot;.<BR><BR>They also have food - so you can stay on for dinner.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Alan

When was The Anchor (near The Globe Theatre) 'modernized'? It was one of my all-time favorites. <BR><BR>Others I enjoyed: The Blackfrier (EC4), The Lamb &amp; Flag (WC2), &amp; The Bunch of Grapes (SW3). The George (SE1) is nice, too, and very historic (building dates from 1676).

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 03:39 AM
avid west

They've just finished buggering up the Anchor.<BR><BR>It s horrible.